MP40 C&R questions

browning1917a1

I have a possible trade on a C&R MP40.  A while back a member wrote out a list of common problems to check concerning MP40.  The jest was that the post to sell was a fraud, and the responder listed out the questions to ask about the MP40 to see if the seller was legit, or a scammer.   If someone would be so kind, it would help me to have the common issues to review before agreeing on a trade and cash amount for me to receive on the deal.  I have 9 NFA weapons, so I understand the process to transfer these weapons.

Thank you.

Brian

4 hours ago, browning1917a1 said:

I have a possible trade on a C&R MP40.  A while back a member wrote out a list of common problems to check concerning MP40.  The jest was that the post to sell was a fraud, and the responder listed out the questions to ask about the MP40 to see if the seller was legit, or a scammer.   If someone would be so kind, it would help me to have the common issues to review before agreeing on a trade and cash amount for me to receive on the deal.  I have 9 NFA weapons, so I understand the process to transfer these weapons.

Thank you.

Brian

I have listed ways to expose Scammers "selling" any item but nothing related, specifically, to the MP40. Anyway, I have pasted the usual warning below - hope it may help...

Be Very Careful!!

Another, New, Unknown User posting... Make sure this is Legit and not a Scam. Get Clear images with your email address written on a small piece of paper laying right on top of the Gun. Also get a copy of the current Transfer Form and verify All Info with NFA Branch - they will tell you if the info does Not match. Talk to the poster on the phone to determine if he has a Nigerian or other strange accent. Does he know anything about guns and the transfer process? He should know a lot about what he is trying to sell. Is he calling from a weird VOIP Google Phone or some other non-standard modality? Get Verifiable References from this Board or another reputable site - do Not rely on an easily stolen Identity from Gun-Broker, etc... Be smart and save your $$$. Don't become the latest victim of Scammers!

What I am looking for is what is the common wear and abuse signs on a MP40.   It was check these 5 things list or something like that.  I remember one thing would be loose etc.  I wasn't interested at the time, but this trade possibility came up for me.  I just don't know the MP40.

Thanks

Brian

BRIAN  the mp 40 should not present any more challenge  than any other type to determine condition. however some issues appear in the majority of examples offered and can be very difficult to correct.  we all have our own "pet peeves" .    the first thing for me is curb appeal,. how doe's it present itself   this seems to be the same for most because the great ones grab you like a magnet and say "take a closer look". next I check the stock assembly for PLAY. if its loose and wobbles its VERY HARD to correct. confirm the original type rear sight spring is present and functions proper. it can break,  replacements are almost impossible to get and I have seen several shoddy attempts to get around. one that can get by easy is a bad chamber. look close even if the bore is mint. years ago in france I observed several diff MINT weapons for sale and something had been rammed around in the chamber and throat preventing any firing.  at that time if it would not  chamber and fire, it was legal . no matter what prevented it.  get it in the natural light and look for flaws under the finish, to determine if original or not   that's my 2 cents worth. good luck    mike

• Like 1

Agree with Mike's comments above.

MP40's typically just work. Most all have varying amounts of wobble in the stock, it's just a poor design. When one doesn't work, it's typically a specific mag, ammo or worn extractor. A worn recoil spring or weak ammo can cause short-stroking which usually results in a couple rounds fired even after the trigger is released. Some ammo isn't strong enough to blow the bolt back far enough for the sear to catch it resulting in a runaway gun. It's always best to load a partial mag for a first test fire session. Bolt handles can also seem to become loose or fly off although I've never experienced this.

A mag loader is critical. The MP40 magazine has a single row feed and loading the mag more than halfway without a loader is a PITA.

Cincylance

Fixing a bad chamber, whether repaired from weld, or damaged in the attempt to repair a weld, is easily done but an added expense. Another lockup fit that can be loose is the receiver to trigger/lower locking lug as the hole in the bottom of the receiver degrades with successive disassemblies and use over time. This also can be fixed with the accompanying added expense. Rear sight leaf springs are available. Stock lockup can also be fixed with appropriate assessment of which lugs are worn and careful welding and finishing to fit, or substitution of excellent spare parts with appropriate fitting. There are lots of well used and worn transferable MP40s that have undergone all of these repairs and there are lots more registered DEWATs which also will need such attention. Registered DEWATs that are in poor condition and have been overlooked as the years pass due to that, but which now look tastier due to the very high prices they can bring, continue to surface and some of which come to me for repair and restoration. It is now rare that damaged parts cannot be repaired and there are more and more excellent repro parts being made and offered for those who need them. FWIW

Edited by BRMCII

Thank you all, this is exactly what I needed so I can make an educated decision.  I have a decent amount of experience, but I also know you can get into some money issues when it comes to repairs like Bob talked about.  That and time without a weapon.  It seems more experienced the repairman like Bob, the longer his back log to get to it.  I would love to have such demand of my services as a tradesman. 

Brian

• Like 1