How to ship MGs

Devildog1987

I am not looking to start a tirade on shipping companies, I am seriously looking for a legal solution. I have a C&R.

Fed Ex will “not open new accounts for firearms dealers” (so I was told today)

UPS will not ship Machineguns

USPS?

Ship through a FFL dealers account

Are there any other options? 

14 minutes ago, Devildog1987 said:

I am not looking to start a tirade on shipping companies, I am seriously looking for a legal solution. I have a C&R.

Fed Ex will “not open new accounts for firearms dealers” (so I was told today)

UPS will not ship Machineguns

USPS?

Ship through a FFL dealers account

Are there any other options? 

Im a dealer and will only use usps now.  if its a MG, USPS registered mail.

Fed ex will not allow small time dealers, and UPS like to steal stuff and not pay insurance..

• Like 1

I have firearms insurance with Collectibles Insurance - they offer plans that cover loss during shipping.

USPS insurance is fine but can get pricey.

If you are only doing a few items it may be worth it to see if a FFL will ship it for you, covered by their insurance - it may be cheaper.

Edited by shiklg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

FWIW, watch the "not concealable" clause in USPS.  USPS has their own definitions of firearms they will or will not ship w/o the folks at ends having a real FFL (C&R doesn't count to USPS).  I've spent much time reading all USPS rules.  If you can do it, USPS Registered & Insured.

Enjoy,

Grasshopper

ps.  Off subject a bit, but if you need to ship in Uzi SMG and ship it with a 16" barrel,  it would no longer be concealable in the rules of USPS?  Easy for Uzi, hard for Thompson :(

Edited by Grasshopper
ps

• 3 weeks later...

USPS Registered is the best way to ship high end guns. Their insurance is less expensive using registered mail as opposed to regular mail. I used to ship M16s in a large flat rate box registered and insured for 30K for about $100.00. For regular stuff a large flat rate box insured for 4K in regular mail will cost about $90.00 if you register it the price drops to only $23.00. Also the price changes when you use your own packaging. Some times when they will not fit in the flat rate box I ship the receiver registered mail and the rest of the gun regular mail.

Check out the USPS web site their tool for calculating prices is easy to use.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/26/2022 at 11:42 PM, Grasshopper said:

Hi,

FWIW, watch the "not concealable" clause in USPS.  USPS has their own definitions of firearms they will or will not ship w/o the folks at ends having a real FFL (C&R doesn't count to USPS).  I've spent much time reading all USPS rules.  If you can do it, USPS Registered & Insured.

Enjoy,

Grasshopper

ps.  Off subject a bit, but if you need to ship in Uzi SMG and ship it with a 16" barrel,  it would no longer be concealable in the rules of USPS?  Easy for Uzi, hard for Thompson :(

I have a C&R FFL but that has not stopped me from receiving guns via USPS.  I have no idea whether the shippers declared the shipments as guns or not.  USPS, Fedex and UPS have all left guns on my doorstep without my signature despite them being sent with a signature required.

Kevin in NC

USPS will accept from non FFLs as long as it's a long gun. It's in the regs, although had one post office tell me no. Went to another and after about twenty minutes they accepted it. Post master called after I left asking me to come back and repackage it more discreetly (it was in a rectangle box). Went overnight to the other side of the country at half the price of what the UPS and FedEx quotes were.