word of caution for want to buy folks

davester

My "Want To Buy" topic has now resulted in 3 scammers!  Probably not telling you guys anything you don't already know but if you are buying a firearm from a non FFL I suggest you require the seller to get it to an FFL near the seller so that FFL can confirm it really exists and then put it on his books so that he can ship it. Soon as the FFL confirms he has it I send payment to the seller.  These A hole scammers will send you a picture of their driver license and insist they are on the up and up but always want you to pay them directly and don't want to go the FFL route.  

• 2 weeks later...

I have had 6 scammers when I posted looking for a Mac10.

ONE went so far as using a real dealer's name, FFL and copy of their FFL. And also his email but was Yahoo instead of Gmail. He even contacted the dealer I am using for Form3 transfer. The only thing that saved me was he wanted 50% payment by money order. I phoned the real dealer and he had no idea this was happening.

DO NOT EVER, EVER, send money by any means other than credit card or Guntab. 

At this point, I believe every single WTB post is getting an email from a scammer..... They just methodically go down the WTB board and then contact the potential buyer. Asking if they are still looking for the part..... They then just send stolen photos....Asking for pictures of parts with paper and your name in it will get you a photo shopped photo of somebody else's parts.... These guys will never ever stop...

Aaron - Mohnton, Pa

Edited by Aaron in Mohnton Pa

5 hours ago, Ryo said:

I think I had 2 or 3 WTB ads before.. Don't remember getting any scammers contacting me.. so I count my self fortunately... or unfortunate since I never found the parts.  

my guess is is because of the last word (parts).  Scammers are going to try for high $$$ scams (NFA items), using stolen photos.  Harder (and not worth their time) to scam you for some obscure part.  Consider yourself lucky!  

I always insist on talking on the phone.  Gets rid of 99%.  The other 1% it is obvious they are not legit.

On 12/4/2022 at 4:02 PM, mitragliatrice said:

I have had 6 scammers when I posted looking for a Mac10.

ONE went so far as using a real dealer's name, FFL and copy of their FFL. And also his email but was Yahoo instead of Gmail. He even contacted the dealer I am using for Form3 transfer. The only thing that saved me was he wanted 50% payment by money order. I phoned the real dealer and he had no idea this was happening.

DO NOT EVER, EVER, send money by any means other than credit card or Guntab. 

Just thought to mention that if it is NFA item it takes time.. credit card won't save you unless you get it within the time frame for chargeback. I think all of my purchases was some type of fund transfer. If I were selling any of my NFA items I would require some type of payment that is not a credit card since I've been burned where the customer did a chargeback, but fortunately it a $100 item rather than a $1000+ item.

You did what you needed to do.. contact the dealer who is selling and found out about the fraud. Good job.