Replacement for a fite lite M16 belt fed feed ramp

Frank Iannamico

17 hours ago, Frank Iannamico said:

Someone a while back posted a Mag 58 or a 249 or a 240 feed ramp on a FiteLite upper.

The original one on mine, a Gen 6, has been beat nearly to death in a short time, looking for a better alternative.

A new feed ramp from Fite Lite is $500+ IMHO they don't last that long for that cost.   

https://www.sturmgewehr.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27576-wts-shrikemcr-feed-guide-insert/

I guess feed TRAY would be more accurate.

Not a jamming problem, the steel feed tray on mine is getting chewed up from the links, someone posted a picture of a fitelite upper that was fitted with a feed ramp from a M240 or a M249, that is what I am looking for.

A solution for fitelite would be to hard chrome the feed ramp as was done on m37 Browning trunnions. 

https://fightlite.com/mcr-billet-steel-feed-tray-phosphat

Feed tray now $589.00 from fitelite

Edited by Frank Iannamico

I remember someone post about the saw feed ramp that you are talking about. I think it was a custom thing done. I think it was on one of the posts where we were discussing the insert.. Maybe you can ask them where they did it or maybe photos of what he has. 

Sucks how they do get chewed up. Those edges holding the round and causing it to pop up specific locations was where we were thinking about which the insert would help, but I'm guessing you're talking about the top side where the links are gouging the metal. Fightlite prices for parts are insane. 

Original Shrikes had modified 249 feed trays.  The top one I made and tuned and it runs perfectly.  Unfortunately I had to make it from pictures on the net and it took hours to perfect.  Mine came with an aluminum tray which I removed immediately because it looked doomed from the start?   Shortly after they cut them from steel, but IIRC the price was close to 700 for the upgraded tray?  I might have actually paid it given the option?    I was a semi-original depositor of two and sold one off for what I paid for both back in the day.  The bottom shrike is my spare and slightly older than the top one, and may need tuning?  I assume the FN trays are high grade heat treated steel?   My other fail was that I got that tray too soon, just before the ones with the spring loaded tabs came out.  I have one, but don't have the time to cut and play with another one just for that.  It would be convenient to just lay the belt down without having to hold it while closing the cover.  I don't care for the tabs either?

I've only run wolf steel case through this one.  So far, so good?  I like the product, but at today's prices I think I'd only have one.  It is HTH

2069022894_20221027_1939501.thumb.jpg.1879e37ce5ec89e426c184fa3166643f.jpg

When I had an M16, I looked hard at those uppers but could't bring myself to drop that kinda money on them.  Looking back, maybe I should have.  The thing that always worried me was being stuck to only one company if you needed parts adn you'd be screwed if they went belly up.  Thats what drove the point home for me that I didn't need to go down that road.  Same went for the 9mm belt fed upper for the M16, great concept but you're hosed for support if they went belly up.

With all the aftermarket parts makers these days, I'm a little surprised no one has come out with an upgrade for these yet.  Then again, is there enough of a market for all the work involved in making it happen?

On 10/27/2022 at 12:30 PM, Ryo said:

I remember someone post about the saw feed ramp that you are talking about. I think it was a custom thing done. I think it was on one of the posts where we were discussing the insert.. Maybe you can ask them where they did it or maybe photos of what he has. 

Sucks how they do get chewed up. Those edges holding the round and causing it to pop up specific locations was where we were thinking about which the insert would help, but I'm guessing you're talking about the top side where the links are gouging the metal. Fightlite prices for parts are insane. 

I wish someone would make a snap on  cover like the one for the 1919A4 BMGs 

Like these https://bmg.parts/product/trunnionprot/

or MAYBE this could be made to work?  https://www.apexgunparts.com/mag58-240-feed-tray-lhgood.html

Edited by Frank Iannamico

Not possible, unfortunately.  The geometry of the top cover internals, etc. is already short on clearance, thus the modifications/cuts to the FN trays to make them work.  Adding more material is a no go.  New trays could be made of better materials, diamond coatings have potential, and other options.   I think the issues were done early on, and then after some production is was too late to make major changes to the system which would have parts compatibility issues down the road?  I've never seen anyone complain about wear on the original stamped feed trays, but I don't follow it like I used to back in the day?   

Like a lot of things newer is not always better, which is why I opted for an older unit as a spare.  It sold cheaper than newer models at the time which worked out great for me after having spent a lot of time working the other one, I don't know that I'd buy a newer model?  Stamping dies for a tray like that are very expensive, therefore I doubt you'll ever see a stamped Ares feed tray? 

• 3 weeks later...

A thin plate like made to protect 1919A4 trunnions would be ideal, unfortunately the guy that made these retired dur to health problems.

I have one on my 1919, it works great protecting the trunnion from getting gouged by steel links.

Business opportunity for someone to make these for the fightlite feed trays. 

TRUNNIONPROT.jpg