Method to help rid the board of scammers...Ideas?

R.L.

Not sure what we can do, but back in the old days, one of the things Buddy instituted was a 1 week limit to receive funds from buyers or the buyer gest ZAPPED.......

How about we take it one further....if a person who either buys or sells or attempts to do so on this board, and does not supply a legitimate name  and full contact info from their first contact,  get zapped and is banned from using the board.

This scammer shxt is getting ridiculous!

Pissed in Maine

R.L.

3 minutes ago, Syncytium1 said:

The only 2 replies I've gotten to a WTB ad for a Vickers tripod so far were probably scammers.  One guy just copy-pasted an ad for one posted by a different member a few years prior, pics and all.  The other had zero posts and just joined last month.  Frustrating.

That’s why I’m thinking a certain number of post count before one can reply would possibly weed out these A-holes!!!! 

So I am new here and I agree about scammers. I have not posted to much but hitting 25 post is hard unless you have an interest in the subject. Unless you just say something stupid to hit that number. The bad thing about booting them they just come back. Not sure what the best plan is but I agree we need something.

I think for now the best weapon we have is COMMUNICATION between ourselves. The guy who just so happens to have that whatz- a- ma-jigger you just can't live without , shows up out of nowhere, no positive points, no posts......should be subject to INTENSE scrutiny.

99% chance they are scammers!!!

BEFORE you send funds, run the sale past the community. Ask who this person is and if anyone knows them. Our community has grown exponentially since the beginning.

I used to know most everyone here, no more. The word got out what a great place this is to buy/sell and scam . Now the scumbags are taking advantage of our site and vulnerability. We gotta try to at least slow them up.

The first line of defense ,DON'T SEND ANY $$$$ UNTIL YOU VET THE SELLER RIGHT HERE BY FELLOW BOARD MEMBERS, do Google searches for their personal info.

If it doesn't add up no matter how bad you want it....walk away.

Remember if it's too govod to be true, it probably is.

Just my .02 cents.

R.L.

Edited by R.L.
typo

Damn, sorry I'm old and the brain doesn't always fire on all cylinders.

I forgot the most important part.

EXPOSE these scammers right here on the general firearms discussion board.

We need their board monikers, handles and email or contact addresses posted right here.

Don't be shy, we need to squash these miscreants.

Like my old friend Murray from Carolina used to say right here, the cockroaches hate light.

Lets LIGHT EM UP!!

Ok , I'm done.

R.L.

• Like 1

Fortunately for us, most (not all) scammers are dumbasses with no command of NFA-related jargon or the English language in general.

I agree with all the previous posts: vet, vet, and vet again. Most of us should have some kind of feedback at this point - EBay, GunBroker, Uzi Talk, FALFiles, Sturm.....I tell people that I'll gladly provide links to all my feedback across the Internet. I'd rather people do their due diligence on me before they enter into a transaction with me. 

• Like 1

When looking at anything expensive or from a seller I don't know, I'm asking for proof of life pics to include my name, phone number, and that days date written on a piece of paper and shown with the item in question.  Its the only way I know of to ensure the item is legit.  I'm to the point that we need to catch a few of these pricks in person, then its a tar/feather party or public hanging (depending on the amount scammed)  

• Like 1