Trouble with my Reising Model 50

19ICSE51

The last 2 times I took the Reising Model 50 to the range I have had the following issue:

The gun fires fine in semi-auto but when I go to Full Auto and pull the trigger the 

gun will shoot 4 or 5 times then stop at that point I have to release the trigger then pull the trigger again and the 

gun may shoot 3 or 4 more times then stop and I have to release the trigger again  then pull the trigger again and repeat this until I empty the magazine.

I can no longer dump a full magazine in Full Auto with one pull of the trigger and holding the trigger without having to pull the trigger several times.

I appreciate ANY help with this issue.

Steve

That is strange that it would lock back and stay locked back when holding down the trigger. I would have to play with mine disassembled to see how it would jam and not let you fire the next round even though your holding the trigger. 

My guess look at the safe/semi/auto switch to see if it engages the semi portion of the design.. see if it is loose, or your selector is not fully engaged to full auto..  Sorry I'm not an expert on Reisings. I think I taken mine apart 2 times. First time to fully clean it. Second time to make it a inertia firing pin..

Ian has a decent video taking apart a Reising.. I'd disassembly it to look for burrs, take off sharp edges, etc.

Evening Ryo:

"That is strange that it would lock back and stay locked back when holding down the trigger. I would have to play with mine disassembled to see how it would jam and not let you fire the next round even though your holding the trigger."

My bolt doesn't lock back or stay locked back when holding the trigger, It fires when I pull the trigger back and hold the trigger back but after 3 or more shots in auto mode it stops firing and I then release the trigger and then pull the trigger back and the gun fires again in auto mode 3 or more shots and then stops firing and I have to repeat this process to empty the magazine. I only charge the bolt the one time as I start to shoot the Reising.  I used 10 & 20 & 30 round magazines today and same results. I did remove the stock tonight and cleaned the Reising but it wasn't very dirty as I clean the gun each time I shoot the gun. I do appreciate you responding to my issue. I have never dis-assembled the Reising any further than I did tonight to clean the gun.

Steve

You need to take the action out of the stock and cycle it by hand in both full and semi modes to see how everything operates.  Pay VERY close attention to the difference in FA mode between what happens when you ease the action bar forward and when you let the operating spring drive it forward.  When you ease it forward with the trigger pulled you will not hear the hammer drop when you let the spring run it forward you will. When you have eased it forward then pull the trigger a second time you should hear the hammer drop.

In full auto mode, the hook on the top front of the full-auto connector engages a slot on the rear of the action bar (operating slide) and when the action bar is driven forward by the operating spring it pulls on the connector which in turn releases the sear.  Since everything else is working properly (i.e. the hammer is cocking, a cartridge is feeding and the gun fires when you again pull the trigger) one of two things is happening.

1) The action bar is intermittently not going forward far enough to pull the connector far enough to release the sear.  This could be due to a worn/damaged connector hook or a worn/damaged action bar slot or a weak operating spring.  Given the symptoms I'd almost bet the farm on this.

2) The connector is coming out of engagement with the action bar.  This could be a weak or damaged connector spring, interference between the  connector and the disconnector as well as wear/damage to the connector hook or action bar. This essentially puts the gun in semi until you pull the trigger again and the connector re-engages the action bar.  None of this (except wear to the connector or action bar) is likely but needs to be looked at anyway

To determine this you need to take the gun apart WHILE IT IS LIVE.  This can be extremely dangerous but I can really see no other way to see what is happening inside. 

Loosen the screw that holds the action in the stock; it will be one less thing you will have to deal with when doing the test

Fire the gun till you get a stoppage. Drop the magazine. DO NOT put the gun on safe.

Carefully remove the action from the stock keeping the muzzle in a safe direction and your hands away from the ejection port.  Please dry run this several times until you are confident that you can do this without bumping the trigger

Look at the connector and the rear of the action bar, Is the connector hook engaged in the slot?  If it is not engaged is the connector hung up on the ledge on the bottom of the disconnector?

Put the gun on safe, put it back in the stock, put it in FA mode and fire the one round you have chambered.  Leave it on FA, take it out of the stock and see if anything has changed.

Post what you find

BTW always put the gun on safe before you cock it. It moves all the parts in the FCG out of contact with one another and can prevent damage.

Edited by StrangeRanger
Clarification

Morning StrangeRanger:

Thank you for your reply and information on what could be the reason for my Reising issue.

In response to your #1 possible cause, I have the spare parts for the connector and action bar 

and operating spring. Would you recommend that I replace those parts and then see if that cures the

problem? 

I also have a local Gunsmith that says he can work on my Reising but he has never done any

work for me to date.

Thank you again for passing on your knowledge!

Steve

Not that I can tell.

I'm 90% certain that you either have a weak operating spring which is easily replaced with a Wolff, some crud somewhere that is interfering with the forward motion of the action bar or that there is a bit of wear on either the connector or action bar.

One more thing to test when you're checking out the unloaded gun:

When you have it is FA mode with the trigger pulled and you have eased the action bar forward and not heard the hammer fall, push forward on the cocking handle at the lower front of the action bar.  You should hear the hammer fall.  That would pretty much confirm that this is the problem