Gave em a good workout today, only one issue..

Paulj.

Me and another guy ran close to 800 rds thru this pair of shorty 16's today. No overheating since we took plenty of breaks although the hand guards heated up a few times. A fun time shooting down into a creek with steep banks for a good backstop, Throw something in the water and shoot an inch below it and launch it 50 feet in the air, then when it lands we both opened up on it. lot"s of fun !  Both guns on occasion would not strip the first round out of the mag when using the bolt latch, you had to use the charging handle & pull the bolt all the way back and let it fly and even then it wouldn't chamber some time. Using a variety of steel Mil spec 30 round mags with 28 rounds in each one. One gun has the M4 feed ramps , the other doesn't. My guess is that 28 rounds in a 30 round mag is just to tight. wondering what thought's are ??

UPDATE,  cleaning the colt xm177 and decided to measure the recoil spring. It was only 8 inches long. Because it was broke and the other 3 inches was still inside the tube !  It fired fine all day but didn't have the strength to strip that first round from the mag . 

7 hours ago, taylorwso said:

at least you found the problem, I upgrade my buffer sytem on my f/a stuff. A lot of wear whn blasting all day.

Yes, That may have been the original spring for that colt made in the 70's. I ordered a Geissele spring kit with H2 buffer for that one. we'll see how that goes. My other carbine has a colt mfg. H2 buffer in it but an aftermarket spring. I'd like to upgrade that spring without having to replace my colt buffer which is what I had to do with the Geissele upgrade. any recommendations appreciated.

4 hours ago, Paulj. said:

Yes, That may have been the original spring for that colt made in the 70's. I ordered a Geissele spring kit with H2 buffer for that one. we'll see how that goes. My other carbine has a colt mfg. H2 buffer in it but an aftermarket spring. I'd like to upgrade that spring without having to replace my colt buffer which is what I had to do with the Geissele upgrade. any recommendations appreciated.

srinco spring works well, blue or red depending on the rof you want