value of heavy LMG AUG barrel

BPinFL

I put them at 1500-1800, but the stories abound of insane prices.   There's only a small number of guns that they are correct for, because it's more than just slapping a barrel on to make an LMG, but as we know the sum of parts always seems to bring more than the whole.  I assume it's a Steyr barrel and not a ratworks knockoff?

There seem to be two different types.  Not sure ser. it all that relevant since there are rumored to only be 125 or so brought in which is what dictates the high price. There are two bipod locations.  The ratworx barrels had new made simpler bipods and different flash hider.  Those, while cheaper, were still pretty costly.  To do it up right, you need the special receiver and the scope ring setup which is impossible to find.  The gun doesn't shoot well at all unless the bipod is deployed, which stabilizes the barrel harmonics.  They have a high cool factor, but it's a rather costly package when you add in a sear.

DSC01757.JPG

I've got one that came with my GSI AUG that has a Qualified Mfg sear. I don't think the previous owner ever fired the LMG barrel and I've never fired it either. I took the gas plug out right after I got it and it looked absolutely mint. I put the barrel in just a couple of times to look at it. It still has the original muzzle cap that it came with. It's gorgeous but I haven't been able to bring myself to shoot it yet.

I checked the barrel today.  "GSI Inc. T'ville AL  G"  is laser (I think) engraved on the barrel between the chamber and bipod.

5,56/7"  is engraved near the chamber and near the muzzle.  serial # is  118069.

I appreciate all the good information.  Thanks,

BP

17 hours ago, BPinFL said:

I checked the barrel today.  "GSI Inc. T'ville AL  G"  is laser (I think) engraved on the barrel between the chamber and bipod.

5,56/7"  is engraved near the chamber and near the muzzle.  serial # is  118069.

I appreciate all the good information.  Thanks,

BP

Not a pre-90--- newer HBAR (1990+).

Tony

On 9/8/2022 at 7:12 AM, BPinFL said:

The bipod is mounted at the end of the barrel, near the nuzzle Who is GSI Inc.? Looks like importer marks to me. What does post 1990 mean? Thanks,BP

Based on the 3-letter date codes stamped on the barrels.

Tony

11 hours ago, HKMan said:

Does anyone know any importation numbers of even more rare 14 inch AUG barrel and what the value would be?  Never seen one for sale.

Thanks

I do not know how many were imported.

I have only seen one (SN unknown): 

(black foregrip/Interarms)(8/87)(open flashhider)

Tony