Shooting M60s with Vietnam Vet / Silver Star Recipient / Author Johnnie M. Clark

Aaron in Mohnton Pa

What a weekend ...... I am not much of a reader, but the best book I have read in my life is the 1981 book GUNS UP! by Johnnie M. Clark... It details his time in Vietnam as a Marine Corps. Machine Gunner along with the importance of the Machine Gun Team in combat.....
Johnnie flew to Pennsylvania this week to shoot some of our M60s along with some other Vietnam Vets.... It would be the first time in 54 years that Johnnie ran one...... It was magical to see him reunite with the gun he fought and almost died with in Vietnam....

I was fortunate enough to be able to get in the dirt with him and do some "Talking Guns"... Not everyday one gets to shoot with a true blue war hero. He was on a 60 when he earned his Silver Star in Vietnam.

Some photos and video below.

Aaron

Y78vwTT.jpg

BL6TahZ.jpg

b7qwcCx.jpg

9rXm08K.jpg

LQU5EGe.jpg

18zRGRX.jpg

sRvaXbI.jpg

pUdTZVR.jpg

FSCsDDC.jpg

fWWdpxC.jpg

2ixXJHB.jpg

Edited by Aaron in Mohnton Pa
  • Like 3

That's awesome man! The M60 is part of the reason for my hearing loss, but it sure was a blast to shoot. I'm not a Viet Nam vet, but I think it's great to see them get a chance to shoot again.

Wonder if he remembers the three rates of fire of the M60?  Sustained, Rapid, and Cyclic - iirc.

@Wiking44 It came back to him pretty fast. He was still familiar with the weapon. From the first round of shooting he was throwing good controlled bursts down.... He was familiar still with the various rates of fire. He did tell me that he fired from the hip in many engagement's and that ammo conservation had to always be on the mind of the M60 gunner... being resupply was not gonna happen depending on the location / duration of the mission etc. 

j2UUevC.jpg

Edited by Aaron in Mohnton Pa

• 1 month later...