WTK: Value of aTransferable SKS

Firearms Enthusiast

1 hour ago, Firearms Enthusiast said:

I have a Pearl SKS in inventory. It belongs to Jeff Koch's widow. Any idea of what value to place on it?? It's rare and FUN to shoot! Thanks in advance!

For posterity purposes can you take some photos?

I just did a quick 15 minute search of transferable SKS’s but haven’t been able to find any posts on any forums confirming they even exist.

With regards-Mathew

I agree with @duza9999, pictures would be awesome.

Since there isn't really much to go on, maybe consider the value of other transferable conversion devices - Uzi bolts, M2 Carbine kits, FNC sears, AR Lightning Links, etc. When you get a good number, add a modest premium for the rarity and give it go. 

3 hours ago, Firearms Enthusiast said:

Trigger group

IMO, being a registered trigger group adds value...unless it happens to be permanently married to the receiver.  Also IMO, despite its rarity, I don't think it's worth transferable AK47 money.  $25k?  I know you're trying to maximize return for Jeff's widow...as such, I'd honestly be seriously be tempted to put it up on GB, starting @$25k for a 2-week auction to see where it goes...you never know, there might be one or more folks who "just have to have it" and bid it up to "crazy money."  Either way...good luck.

On 8/24/2022 at 9:45 PM, hkg3k said:

IMO, being a registered trigger group adds value...unless it happens to be permanently married to the receiver.  Also IMO, despite its rarity, I don't think it's worth transferable AK47 money.  $25k?  I know you're trying to maximize return for Jeff's widow...as such, I'd honestly be seriously be tempted to put it up on GB, starting @$25k for a 2-week auction to see where it goes...you never know, there might be one or more folks who "just have to have it" and bid it up to "crazy money."  Either way...good luck.

Agree with this guy been a dealer for about 7 years and have yet to come across one so you would have the uniqueness on your side. Value would be dependent then on markings, any history etc. Since it is a trigger group I would research what AK with similar conversion methods are going for, and mark slightly less as an AK will always be more desirable despite perceived rarity. If it were a factory original chinese or russian MG then you would have a small gold mine probably in the 70s as very very few were even made as the vast majority were semi auto (fixed 10rd mags has that effect on MGs) as AKs were relegated for the AR role, although an SKS is simple enough to convert to FA itself (requiring 10 minutes of time, they werent by users as it defeated the rifles purpose). I am going to take an educated guess I would say 18-20k. Think the auction idea is a good one and what I would do... never know may be an SKS nut out there who HAS to have one (I have several have to have guns myself that I tell my wife are dealer samples for customer demonstration lol when I find them to avoid being yelled at). Best of luck to you and her as well. Please update what it goes for super curious!! Or where you list it.. 

Jake

Is Martin Pearl still alive?  I'm drawing a blank on the name of his gunsmith that did most of his work conversion work for him...maybe, you can find some contact info to get some more definitive info about the gun?  Thanks for posting the pics...it appears (to my eye anyway) that the lever on the bottom might be a selector lever.  Does it pivot?  Can you determine via dry-firing if it in fact controls SA / FA?

What's the paperwork say? To me that's the determining factor on trigger group versus RR.  Does it list the length of the SKS or say "n/a"? Or does it say "installed in SKS SNxxxxx" in the additional description?  Those minor differences could move the needle $10k in either direction.  Cool piece! 

• 3 weeks later...

Turning screw out about a half turn seems to operate semi auto, haven't fired it this way. Barrel and overall length of the rifle are on the form. I am going to list it here this afternoon at 27.5k and then start a GB ad on Sunday. There is one guy from NFA Guns Facebook who will have 1st dibs. Thanks again for the feedback!