WTS: MG42

Veezer

First off, this is my brothers gun but he is not internet savvy so I am posting this for him and will provide his contact information to those interested.

For sale is a fully transferable (Form 4) MG42 made by Maget in 1944.  The manufacturer listed on the form is "German".  It does not have matching numbers, is currently set up in 8mm and runs very well.  The gun comes with a MG3 tripod that has been altered to work correctly with this gun.  It also will come with an MG53 parts kit that has been opened, but has a new 8mm barrel and most of the parts included.  I believe the only part that has been used is the butt stock out of the parts kit.  Will also include a few belts and ammo cans.  As you can see in the pictures, the gun is in excellent condition.

A FOIA request has been filed and as soon as that information is received, I will post it to straighten out any concerns anyone has.

I do have additional photos and video of the gun running for those that are interested.

$40,000

mg42%201%20-%20Copy.jpg

mg42%202%20-%20Copy.jpg

mg42%203.jpg

Edited by Veezer
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

>It is not a rewat.  It is the original receiver that was made in Germany.  It would be C&R eligible, but it never was registered that way.  As for FOI paperwork, he does not have any. <

This comment is very confusing. A "reWAT" would have an original, factory receiver since a registered DEWAT would have been registered prior to or during the '68 Amnesty. Remanufacture of MGs, cutting and welding or new receivers for registration did not begin until after the end of the Amnesty. To be legally reactivated, it must have been registered at that time. It is either eligible for C+R transfer or not. If registered prior to the end of the Amnesty, it is C+R eligible and if registered after the end of the Amnesty, it is not eligible. The registered owner can call ATF/NFA and ask for the original date of registration to confirm that it was registered prior to Dec. 2, 1968. If registered after that date it will not be considered C+R. Only the registrant is legally eligible to receive information about registered MGs from ATF. It is worth the effort to confirm date of registration.

• Like 1

My brother and I are not experts with all the ins and outs of NFA guns.  He bought this gun in the early 2000's, so he is definitely not the original owner and does not know the entire history of this gun.  With the information you provided, I will have him do some research with ATF and try to figure out exactly what this gun's history is and post what we find out so any potential buyer knows exactly what they are getting and what the options are when it comes to the C&R status. 

Sorry for any confusion.

Your confidence is misplaced that every gun fifty years old is automatically C+R for a number of different reasons, but the issue here is whether the gun is correctly registered as C+R, meaning that it was registered prior to or during the '68 Amnesty. There are lots of registered MGs that appear to be C+R on the paperwork, but are fraudulently registered after the end of the Amnesty. Any MG registered after the Amnesty, with some exceptions, had to be cut and welded back together or a new receiver or controlled part made to be eligible for registration. Here's the rub: many MGs that were not registered prior to or during the Amnesty were merely registered as "reactivated" on the form 2 and not marked by crooked CIIs, implying that they were registered DEWATs, and then transferred out listing the original manufacturer on the form, making it appear that they were original MGs. Legally, they should have been re-manufactur to be eligible for registration, so the form 2s were fraudulent. Many of these guns transferred as C+R since the examiners were too lazy to look up the original date of registration, and even if they did, they didn't know the rules, so the guns transferred. Eventually, due to just this problem, buyers wanted proof that the guns were actually reactivated DEWATs, since guns were turning up with dates of original registrations in many different years post-68. I have seen more than a dozen such MGs and there is actually a subset of collectors who want to buy these MGs because they have compromised registrations and are worth considerably less than a correct C+R MG. An MG is that legally should have been cut and then remanufactured is legally contraband.

• 2 weeks later...
On May 17, 2016 at 10:11 AM, Veezer said:
2 hours ago, Veezer said:

Bump to the top

Manufacture information added to clarify the rewat statues.

I have several customers interested in purchasing an MG42, but not without proof of date and form of original registration to confirm its C+R status. Contrary to the smug and dismissive comments above, not all MG42s are C+R just because they are included on the C+R list. MG42s remanufactured and registered between the end of the '68 Amnesty and May 19, 1986 are not C+R eligible and there are quite a few of those. If ATF allows it, and it is up to them, remanufactured MGs will begin to be eligible for C+R status in Dec. 2018 as that is 50 years past the date of the new rules for remanufacture and registration for private possession, starting in Dec of 1968. Fifty years after the last date allowed to register a new MG for private possession, which was May 19, 1986, theoretically all MGs will be C+R. My comments about MG42s falsely registered as C+R between '68 and '86 seems to cynically amuse the above posters, and they are entitled to be wrong and ignorant since it is not their money. I have helped broker half a dozen 42s in the last fifteen years or more that were allegedly C+R but not confirmed by ATF when the date and form of original registration were provided. All had dates of original registration in the late seventies and early eighties and were never cut and welded prior to registration as required by law. And there a m ore of them out there. They were passed off as C+R, but are illegal registrations and are worth a lot less than verified C+R guns. Buyers need to know this before shelling out tens of thousands of dollars. There are lots of other MGs that have been processed the same way and I keep track of the ones I hear about or come through my shop. No buyer is going to spend the money currently asked for MG42s without proof of original date and form of registration confirming that it is correctly registered if presented as C+R as well as proof that all the parts are correct vintage  WWII; proof that the trunnion is not cracked, chipped or broken or a post-war replacement; proof that the rivets are tight and there are no cracks in shroud webbing or around barrel bearing; proof that it hasn't been reblued. No proof, no sale. Many buyers looking for MG42s  contact me for help in trying to assess the guns offered, and several have contacted me about this gun. I tell them to confirm, confirm, confirm. I've owned, brokered, repaired, built, handled hundreds of MG42s over the last forty years. MGs are my full time business. Bought my first DEWAT in 1956 and have been buying MGs every since.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, magnet69 said:

I thought these WTS ads weren't supposed to be commented upon except for pm's directly to seller. Can we just let things alone enough already. 

Wise-up, sir.

BRMCII (Robert "Bubba" Naess) knows what he's talking about.

Cincylance

Yes he does. I've received much good advice from him and have purchased from him as well. My comment was to let the WTS listings be commented upon through pm's or email, not thru the sellers post. I'm sure everything he said about C&R is true, but was also posted by him earlier as well, albeit a little differently. If I am wrong on any/all of this, I apologize.

OK Magnet69, I figured you'd get around to make it appear as if I am the problem. Veezer has a $35-40k MG that he wants to sell and posts that he knows nothing about the gun or NFA.  After reading his posts he clearly needs a LOT of help. These forums are dedicated to helping the NFA community. Someone is going to pay $35-40k for this item and even if it was $5k, that person needs transparency and information about the possible pitfalls and problems with the NFRTR and registration of vintage MGs. I offer cautionary advice based on many, many years experience, and this is your comment on my warning and advice: "Too much to do about nothing imho. If there's a form 3 or 4 w an Atf signature the mg42 is C&R." Complete nonsense! Veezer is supposed to act on this as useful, knowledgeable, reliable advice? Others who read this are supposed to believe and follow this counsel? Potential buyers are supposed to believe this as truthful and accurate advice? If that is your "honest opinion" and you believe it, then others will also, and it is nonsense. Nonsense requires correction and that is what I did. BTW, I have received more than half a dozen e-mails and several phone calls from C+R MG owners thanking me for my comments, with further questions about how to understand their paperwork, the NFRTR and how to proceed with verifying the date and form of original registration. How many did you get?

I'm done with this string.  Accurate knowledge is power and BS always needs to be revealed to help both buyers and sellers make informed decisions. Especially, as in this case, when it comes to spending $35-40k……have a nice day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Veezer said:

A FOIA request was sent today.  As soon as that information comes back, I will post it so there will no confusion as to the status of this gun.

You more likely to sell the gun before you see the FOIA request returned!

tried to resist but have to get my 2 cents worth in now, FIRST when it comes to this stuff MR NAESS  is THE MAN  and one should PAY HEED whether you like it or not!

until 2000 or so I never had any problem establishing C+R status, IF THE MANUFACTURER ON THE PAPER WORK  STATED THE ORIGINAL COUNTRY OF ORIGIN ,

GOVERMENT ARSENAL ETC. in the never ending "quest" for profit . the stated games began and the ATF TECHNOLOGY folks were not fooled, so now WE ALL PAY THE PRICE

I am in the middle of a mess you would not believe and have several transfer's that have been tied up more than 3 years and no end in sight!  all involve 100% legit weapons that had previously transferred as C+R'S      the REALLY SAD THING HERE IS ALL THE EGO that has taken over . I don't understand why someone has to mount a full offensive when offered information that corrects a mistake  as this post had been offered before I was tempted to advise that the mount was NOT a"YUGO-53" ADAPTED, BUT INFACT A POST WAR mg-3/ 42 MOUNT . I chose to leave it be for fear of reprisal. we should all feel free to offer what we believe to be  correct information to each other IN THESE FORUMS!!!!!  and Always accept correction with GRACE. COME ON,  LETS KEEP THE SARCASTIC RESPONSES AT HOME.  (she probably deserves them)     cheers mike

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mike todd said:

tried to resist but have to get my 2 cents worth in now, FIRST when it comes to this stuff MR NAESS  is THE MAN  and one should PAY HEED whether you like it or not!

until 2000 or so I never had any problem establishing C+R status, IF THE MANUFACTURER ON THE PAPER WORK  STATED THE ORIGINAL COUNTRY OF ORIGIN ,

GOVERMENT ARSENAL ETC. in the never ending "quest" for profit . the stated games began and the ATF TECHNOLOGY folks were not fooled, so now WE ALL PAY THE PRICE

I am in the middle of a mess you would not believe and have several transfer's that have been tied up more than 3 years and no end in sight!  all involve 100% legit weapons that had previously transferred as C+R'S      the REALLY SAD THING HERE IS ALL THE EGO that has taken over . I don't understand why someone has to mount a full offensive when offered information that corrects a mistake  as this post had been offered before I was tempted to advise that the mount was NOT a"YUGO-53" ADAPTED, BUT INFACT A POST WAR mg-3/ 42 MOUNT . I chose to leave it be for fear of reprisal. we should all feel free to offer what we believe to be  correct information to each other IN THESE FORUMS!!!!!  and Always accept correction with GRACE. COME ON,  LETS KEEP THE SARCASTIC RESPONSES AT HOME.  (she probably deserves them)     cheers mike

I haven't "mounted a full offensive" or made an sarcastic comments.  I took everyone's advice and have stated that I am attempting to find all the information that has been requested. 

As for the tripod/mount, I stand corrected and have fixed the ad.

Edited by Veezer

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 9:59 PM, BRMCII said:

Magnet69 writes:

>Too much to do about nothing imho. If there's a form 3 or 4 w an Atf signature the mg42 is C&R.<

Ignorance with confidence!

BOB AGAIN YOUR VAST KNOWLEDGE BREAKS LOOSE!    being an active participant at all the recent auctions offering examples from old collections starting 2013 many if not all of the transfers attempted using a current C+R are being traced back to origin by the examiners and a lot are denied ! 5 to me ! 3 of the 5 I know the previous owners and they were approved C+RS at that time but not now. SADLY there is no known way for a buyer to get this confirmed when buying. one saving grace many operating systems are now being recognized as C+R no matter when first registered. I believe  all pre 86 mg-42's qualify and I KNOW ALL select fire FAL'S do among others. this went into effect  01/01/16   one might send a request in writing for a ruling. as mentioned I have it for the FAL   cheers mike

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 2:02 PM, Veezer said:

I haven't "mounted a full offensive" or made an sarcastic comments.  I took everyone's advice and have stated that I am attempting to find all the information that has been requested. 

As for the tripod/mount, I stand corrected and have fixed the ad.

VEEZER, YOU GOT IT WRONG!!  this was NOT aimed at you! it was my opinion of all the NEGATIVE responses to your perfectly correct offer to sell a registered legit GORGEOUS example of an original war time MG-42. BOB was also correct in his response and attempt to explain what he has encountered. Had I not spent so much getting my old stuff back from the evergreen collection it would have been gone b-4 they had a chance to hit you with all the foofarah we all enjoyed enduring. sorry you got the WRONG impression it was support cheers mike