Any Sign of Scammers Yet, With The New Forum-Style Boards?

Everyone needs to maintain vigilance.  Don't let your guard down.  The new board will definitely help, but it can't stop determined scammers.

BTW, this is not an issue that is limited to Sturm.  We have just discussed it more than other venues.

Some pointers

• Don't ever wire money to anyone
  • Don't ever use Western Union for payment
  • Talk to the person you are dealing with on large purchases
  • Deal with known, reputable dealers
  • Know all the terms of sale
  • If the deal is too good, it is probably a scam
  • Get a copy of the Form 4
  • Understand the status and location of any NFA firearm you consider for purchase - Does the dealer have it in their inventory?  
  • Get pictures of the item(s) with verifiable content shown in them
  • If they won't provide more verification, don't deal with them
  • Use your common sense...Don't be greedy and end up losing your money to a scammer

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

I'm dealing with a scammer...not from these new boards, but from the old boards since December 2015.

The scammer's email is morrisjeanette80@yahoo.com

We had worked out and agreed upon an expensive deal on some Browning .303 British parts and the scammer asked for payment by personal check only, to be mailed to the address provided by the seller. Photos of the parts were emailed to me and everything.

I sent the check as well as a recap letter to the address given and a week later I get an email from Jeanette Morris (from a different email address) saying she has no clue what I want, what my check is for, and that she doesn't and hasn't sold firearms or parts ever. I've tried to find a source for the original email address from her and I can only find it attached to a Bob Seaman in FL (back in 2013 anyway).

My honest opinion is that the lady Jeanette Morris is a complete liar and she probably sold the parts and just didn't want to own up to it. Her responses to me as I tried to figure this all out seem contrived and full of S***. Either that or someone who lives near her is trying to pull some check fraud. Her lack of interest in figuring out the potential fraud also points to it really just being her. Perhaps she is mentally unstable...anyone dealt with morrisjeanette80@yahoo.com from Newark, OH?

Always ask for a photo with your email address written on a torn piece of paper ..... Lying on the item..... Scammers cannot do this.  Also the scammer maybe using this lady as a " drop " ..... Checkimg her mail for your letter ....... She got your letter before the scammer did.

Did the scammer ask you to get a Tracking number for your letter ?

Scammers do this so they know what day the letter is " out for delivery " ..... Then they steal the letter from mailbox.

Buddy,

Thanks for the knowledge. The scammer didn't ask for a tracking number or anything, but did contact me a couple days after our agreement to see if I had mailed the check yet.

I cannot adequately describe the level to which I've been infuriated by this whole thing. I will certainly follow your advice on the photo requests from now on.

Thanks again.

Scammers Suck. I waste their time whenever possible by leading them on a sort of "scavenger hunt" having them jump through hoops to receive my "wires" and misdirected overnight mail with "USPS MO" that don't exist and will never arrive... My way of Screwing them over for all the money they've stolen from others. Most of them recognize my email address as they've learned the hard way that they can be counter-scammed fairly easily. Not the smartest bunch - most of them are real Nigerian Fuck-tards.

• 1 month later...
On 1/20/2016 at 7:22 PM, Precision Technology said:

Scammers Suck. I waste their time whenever possible by leading them on a sort of "scavenger hunt" having them jump through hoops to receive my "wires" and misdirected overnight mail with "USPS MO" that don't exist and will never arrive... My way of Screwing them over for all the money they've stolen from others. Most of them recognize my email address as they've learned the hard way that they can be counter-scammed fairly easily. Not the smartest bunch - most of them are real Nigerian Fuck-tards.

It's better to leave them alone before you piss them off and they "SWAT" your house or something similar.

The scammers keep popping up, the Sturm team and long time members keep rooting them out. That is the good news.....

The other side of the coin is this: some posters have a new "profile" name (from the old Sturm) and hard to tell who they are right off the bat. It could be they do not post a lot and then when they do, they have a new name and only 1 post showing. Just something we need to deal with, or if they simply stated "this is so and so" from the old board?

Personally, when I see a new WTS post, a new name I do not recognize, it is an NFA item or expensive, poor description, no photo, THIS is big time RED flags.

Mike at Precision Tech. has been posting in Blue, just below a questionable ad, Be Careful. He is not calling anyone out, just saying do your due diligence and don't get burned.

Mikes posts are Just another way we can look out for each other, Sturm Rocks, so lets not let the bad eggs of the world get any traction here on the new boards!

6 hours ago, philasteen said:

It's better to leave them alone before you piss them off and they "SWAT" your house or something similar.

I understand your concern, however, that would apply to Scammers in AZ or, at least, the United States. The Scammers I'm referring to are all Overseas - usually Nigeria.

4 hours ago, Dscheid NFA Investments said:

The scammers keep popping up, the Sturm team and long time members keep rooting them out. That is the good news.....

The other side of the coin is this: some posters have a new "profile" name (from the old Sturm) and hard to tell who they are right off the bat. It could be they do not post a lot and then when they do, they have a new name and only 1 post showing. Just something we need to deal with, or if they simply stated "this is so and so" from the old board?

Personally, when I see a new WTS post, a new name I do not recognize, it is an NFA item or expensive, poor description, no photo, THIS is big time RED flags.

Mike at Precision Tech. has been posting in Blue, just below a questionable ad, Be Careful. He is not calling anyone out, just saying do your due diligence and don't get burned.

Mikes posts are Just another way we can look out for each other, Sturm Rocks, so lets not let the bad eggs of the world get any traction here on the new boards!

Scammers will always try to screw us over… That's probably never going to stop. But we've got the Best Gun Guys in the entire World right here and we all watch out for each other. All the Asshole Scammers can Go to Hell...

1 hour ago, Rudolf said:

All I can say is the sob stories are getting catchy and are really pulling the heart strings.

Only good thing: with the New Sturm and All of us looking out for Scum-Bags while educating the New Guys, very few people will be screwed-over by Scammers in the future...

ADMIN. Please for the record can you please leave the email post of what they sent me as a warning for others to look for the same story and SOB crap they are trying to do?

I posted the SOB story that she is a single mom with 3 kids in a new town and the gun is on Google wallet whatever BS.

End of the day......they are getting good and we need to be aware.