WTS: Savage Auto-Ordnance Thompson Model 1928 Submachine Gun, Fully Transferable, British Proof Marked

Savage Auto-Ordnance Thompson Model 1928 Submachine Gun, Fully Transferable Machine Gun
British Proof Marks
$33,500
$32,000 Offers Welcome
Sales tax only collected in PA

This Thompson retains most of its original bluing and is not a re-weld or parts kit gun. The rear sling mount was moved the top of the stock and the handguard one was moved the left side (used by a police department since the 50’s).The metal does have some patina, scratches and dings present. The wood is solid, but has dents and finish ware. This gun is in excellent mechanical condition and functions flawlessly with 230gr FMJ (American Eagle used). 4 full magazines were fired from each magazine (Yes it was a blast). Email me for video if you would like to see it in operation.

Manufactured by Auto-Ordnance on contract from the United States Government, the Thompson 1928 is one of the signature American weapons of World War II, being deployed in every theater of the war, both in American hands and among numerous Allied units via equipment sharing and Lend-Lease supplies. The 1928 is still very close in overall fit and features to the original Roaring 20s/Great Depression "Chicago Typewriter" of gang warfare fame, retaining a number of options that would be eliminated from later production to lower cost and speed production. A blade front sight is installed on the Cutts compensator, with a Lyman folding ladder rear sight on the receiver. Commercial standard markings are present on the top and sides of the receiver, with the "MODEL OF 1928" marking on the left side of the receiver along with "GEG". The trigger group/frame is marked 56404 with NO. S-32010 marked out indicating that this was an arsenal replacement, with "FULL AUTO"/"SINGLE" selector lever and "FIRE"/"SAFE" safety lever, a grooved pistol grip, and a quick detach buttstock with trapdoor buttplate. Three magazines (2x20 and 1x30) is included. The 30-round and one 20-round magazine are marked “THE SEYMOUR PRODUCTS CO” and THE OTHER 20-round is marked “AUTO ORDNANCE CORP”. The 30 round magazine has a large dent in the front but still feeds 30 rounds flawlessly.

I am a class 3 dealer and have possession of this weapon. If the buyer is also a class 3 dealer I will file via the electronic FORM 3. If you are not a Pennsylvania resident I will file via the electronic FORM 3 to your class 3 dealer who will complete a form 4 for the transfer (you also pay a transfer cost to your transferring dealer. If you are a Pennsylvania resident I will file your FORM 4 via efile, take you photo for no additional charge if doing the form at my store. I do not collect out of state sales tax.

pix235192720.jpg

pix788143809.jpg

pix006917046.jpg

pix995201572.jpg

pix152613127.jpg

pix038664607.jpg

pix077546269.jpg

pix693540645.jpg

pix496869356.jpg

pix508095998.jpg

pix648822589.jpg

pix518262320.jpg

pix777209405.jpg

pix052232112.jpg

pix294761079.jpg

pix003936761.jpg

pix053042619.jpg

pix771956371.jpg

pix047520459.jpg

pix748160916.jpg

pix360946913.jpg

pix269342892.jpg

pix040893357.jpg

pix486593398.jpg

pix213028494.jpg

pix752841102.jpg

Edited by Anthony Viscomi
additional information

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/18/2022 at 11:46 PM, MP5 said:

S prefix serial number? Just guessing - the TSMG experts will know - Savage wartime manufacture? But didn’t most of the Savage 1928’s have a finned bbl?

The .45 ammo produced during WWII was corrosive, often damaging barrels, so it was somewhat common for barrels to be replaced.

Early production Savage Thompsons had finned barrels with the adjustable Lyman rear sights, later to expedite production the adjustable sights were replaced by a simple L type rear sight, later still finned barrels were replaced by smooth barrels, again to reduce costs, and expedite production. The Thompson here is a fairly early example,  having a New York address on the right side, (most Savage and A-O manufacturer guns will have a Bridgeport, CT address), So this gun would have had a finned barrel when it left the factory. New York address Savage guns are rarer than the Bridgeport address examples, and considered desirable by many collectors. Note that the gun here is also marked "Model of 1928" unlike the more common "U.S. Model of 1928 A1".

Edited by Frank Iannamico

17 minutes ago, Frank Iannamico said:

The .45 ammo produced during WWII was corrosive, often damaging barrels, so it was somewhat common for barrels to be replaced.

Early production Savage Thompsons had finned barrels with the adjustable Lyman rear sights, later to expedite production the adjustable sights were replaced by a simple L type rear sight, later still finned barrels were replaced by smooth barrels, again to reduce costs, and expedite production. The Thompson here is a fairly early example,  having a New York address on the right side, (most Savage and A-O manufacturer guns will have a Bridgeport, CT address), So this gun would have had a finned barrel when it left the factory. New York address Savage guns are rarer than the Bridgeport address examples, and considered desirable by many collectors. Note that the gun here is also marked "Model of 1928" unlike the more common "U.S. Model of 1928 A1".

Hi Frank,

Thank you. I did some research on this also. It would have been an early gun and would have had a finned barrel normally. There is a discussion about finned barrels and smooth barrels on machine guns forum and there was a period where smooth barrels were used and speculation that other parts were used when based on availability. The barrel on this gun does have the British Proof marks on it. If it was a replaced barrel it was probably done by British Armorer. I am the first SOT to own this gun.