C Ration Can Mod for the M60D Door Gun

I don't think I have ever seen anyone else outside the military shooting with this mod so I figured i'd post about it........... In Vietnam most doorgunners on helicopters were issued Ammunition chute, with a bending bracket which hooked up directly to the gun... Most had bad experiences with this being the chute would be prone to causing jams. So guys quickly ditched it. The problem with that is the belt then hangs up on the M60 Feed Chute mounting bracket which causes the belt to break mid firing............ So, some doorgunner must have been eating his meal at one point / messing around and discovered that C Ration cans (not all but some) fit perfectly into the Feed Chute Bracket... Its actually a very secure tight fit too.... This mod became widely used by door gunners in Vietnam and was combat proven to be very effective. It greatly assisted with feeding the gun and preventing jams. So much so that Grunts on the ground also started doing this. 

If any of you running M60Ds want to pursue this, C ration cans from the Vietnam era can still be purchased on Ebay. Vietnam war dated cans ad to the collector value. Beware that not all cans fit the bracket. These add a nice look to the gun and compliment the M60 given its history. Some photos below for reference.

Aaron - Mohnton, Pa

Sales@BeltFeds.Com

yr4oHyg.jpg

ZoR1RX4.jpg

eiFJV2B.jpg

b14KlUO.jpg

ZXlrTpQ.jpg

Vietnam

CQmhby3.jpg

0eq98JB.jpg

GHCuXP5.jpg

mOSRV8V.jpg

Fahbec8.jpg

wLFf1b0.jpg

omyZNB8.jpg

4alSZxB.jpg
q3qzz9s.jpg

Apocalypse Now 

S7YTfYV.png

Fa1pgMk.jpg

Edited by Aaron in Mohnton Pa
  • Like 1

Yes, they were either smart, or maybe just good at copying a simple idea?  Could be there were some historians in the bunch and as they say history repeats.  The wood actually rolls very easily as the belt passes over.  By 1930, just about every good idea had already found a home?  The key after that was to take the best ideas and start combining them and reducing manufacturing time and costs.  There's still a few of us antique collectors around!

20220630_195217[1].jpg

Edited by johnsonlmg41
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

@mattnh I have been talking with Tim. Trying to make it happen…. We are taking Vietnam Vet / Author Johnnie Clark out in two weeks.
  His book Guns Up is an amazing portrayal of the role / importance of the Machine Gunners in Vietnam. I am excited to see him run a 60 again. 

zebbdtn.jpg
eRqFMrL.jpg