WTB a transferable sten, hard budget 8,200

duza9999

Good afternoon everybody, I’m looking for a very good condition sten (non C&R). However due to my concurrent search for a M50 Reising, my budget has to be fairly stiff on the sten.

Specifically I’m not looking to go above 8,200 . It may be tight, but I know some decent ones are still out there in that 7,500+ bracket. 

Thank you kindly-Mathew 

Edited by duza9999

1 hour ago, tommyboy said:

Literally just called them after you posted the link and he said it was up for about 3 weeks but just sold this morning lol.

But thank you very much for the notice regardless!

Edited by duza9999

1 hour ago, Mockingbird Precision said:

Take a look at what price trends are at www.machinegunprices.com. Most folks follow this at a minimum and currently, prices are higher than this. I bet that no one is going to sell you a Sten for less than $10K (non C&R) or $13K (C&R).

Respectfully I disagree, that website is a decent indicator but is by no means definitive. Ruben has a few stens up for 9,999 and everyone knows Ruben usually is about 10-15% of what things otherwise may be selling for if you do some searching. (That said Ruben’s premium comes with the security/peace of mind his long reputation affords).

I’m confident that I can find a nice (non C&R) sten in the budget I have to work with.-Mathew

14 minutes ago, duza9999 said:

Respectfully I disagree, that website is a decent indicator but is by no means definitive. Ruben has a few stens up for 9,999 and everyone knows Ruben usually is about 10-15% of what things otherwise may be selling for if you do some searching. (That said Ruben’s premium comes with the security/peace of mind his long reputation affords).

I’m confident that I can find a nice (non C&R) sten in the budget I have to work with.-Mathew

Problem is the longer you wait the more prices are increasing. Prices are up at least 25% in the last year.  Not to mention there arent people selling like years past.  It's a seller's market.

Clearly we would all like to be buying machine guns for what they were a year ago or for that much even six months ago.

Like it or not the market is changing !

As seen with some of the recent Auctions i.e. Morphy & Rock Island there are a lot of investors buying machine guns!

Lets face it the stock market is crap , the housing market is inflated and with the feds raising the interest rate its already started to slow down.

So there is not a lot out for investors to throw there money into and get a decent return, except class 3 guns namely machine guns.

Limited supply means the chance of them going down in value is slim and better chance of growth than anything else.

Twenty years ago if you would have said a HK sear was gonna be 30K you would have been laughed at but here we are.

if you do find a machine gun and its a decent deal buy it ! It will not be there long!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, duza9999 said:

Good luck bud; let all of us know and we will buy any others that are at that price point as well too!

7 minutes ago, Mockingbird Precision said:

Good luck bud; let all of us know and we will buy any others that are at that price point as well too!

Evidently so as apparently this one just sold for 7,500 this morning after being listed for 3 weeks according to the dealer lol :ph34r:

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/nfa/class-iii-nfa-full-auto/sten-mark-ii-9mm-sub-machine-gun.cfm?gun_id=101947905

-Mathew 

When I first got into this hobby I was like you, wanting to get the absolute best deal out there and I'd wait as long as it took to find it. 

The problem was the longer I waited the higher the selling prices went. Now if a good machine gun comes up and it's a little bit more than I think it's worth, I pay anyways because long term it's worth it. Your cash goes down in value and the price of MG's go up. Don't pass on things because of a few hundred dollars difference. 

The difference of today's average market price for a sten tube of let's say $10k and your hard stop $8200 isn't going to make you broke. But that gap will widen as time passes and your 8200 will be worth less.

44 minutes ago, Dean said:

Plus if an additional $2k is going to hurt you financially maybe you shouldn't buy a

Machinegun?

Eh probably, but I am only 22, and there are worse ways for someone my age to spend money :D

Edited by duza9999

If it were me.....

I'd knock down the Reising budget and pick up a Sten. When the Sten was sitting in NFA jail, I'd work on the Reising. If for some reason you could only ever have one or the other, I think the Sten is hands down the better one to have. 

That's just me.

Glad to see a young guy getting into the game. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MontanaRenegade86 said:

If it were me.....

I'd knock down the Reising budget and pick up a Sten. When the Sten was sitting in NFA jail, I'd work on the Reising. If for some reason you could only ever have one or the other, I think the Sten is hands down the better one to have. 

That's just me.

Glad to see a young guy getting into the game. 

Interesting, I would’ve thought the Reising should’ve been the priority due to the crudeness of the sten, though I will say the sten shot very nice when I rented one in Vegas.

And thanks! I bought my first NFA item 2 years ago, but I’ve have been into it as a passion since I was 15. 

I made some money on put options in March of 2020 and bought a m2 60mm mortar and had the form 1 approved a month before my 21st birthday (meaning I legally could own a functioning mortar before I could buy a handgun from a dealer).

Then last year I got my 08/01 FFL/SOT and have been loving it since. :D

I have a few posties, and a premay madsen MG wise, but as much as I love my Madsen, I’m going to likely sell it (as well as the mortar) and try to pick up a decent sten and really nice Reising as my best friend has a massive collection, and loves my MG’s but is not a FFL. I set up a trust for us and am looking to put some stuff on so he can use it and store it even when I’m not around. 

Edited by duza9999
  • Like 1

My advice to you brother is be willing to strech your budget a little... i know its hard when your younger but playing the waiting game in nfa world doesnt pay off from what ive seen... i started buying when i turned 21 im 26 now an have not seen a gun i passed on sell for the same price or less only more an im kicking my self on everysingle one i passed on..... when i first started m10s where 6000-6500 i grabbed mine at 6800 thinking ill grab another a few years later... now they are in the 8-10k range... my c&r sten i got for 8700 bucks... now they are 11,000+... i can go threw every mg in my collection an do this... just buy one for what you can get your foot in the door... youll be happy. good luck

4 hours ago, kamarshall2000@yahoo.com said:

Invest the money in 02/07 licenses, get inexpensive post-86 dealer guns and make a sten.  Can't keep them forever, but nobody ever does the guns live longer than we do.

Not necessarily good advice.  ATF tends to take a dim view of anyone who acquires an SOT for the sole purpose of adding pre-samples to his private collection.  Their expectation is that you are licensed as a business and that you are going to do business.  That does not necessarily mean strictly Class 3 business; you can deal in Totle 1 arms, ammo, accessories, militaria etc, with Class 3 stuff as a part of that business.

I am currently looking at 4 stens in the 7,800 to 8,400 all on form 4’s alternatively does anyone know what the going rate of a virgin tube is? Or are they all more expensive then a fully completed gun now? 

I wouldn’t mind getting one even if it costed more in the long run to have it built. I just want to put my foot in the door with both guns (a nice Reising and a sten) for no more than 17k.

On 6/19/2022 at 10:06 AM, kamarshall2000@yahoo.com said:

Invest the money in 02/07 licenses, get inexpensive post-86 dealer guns and make a sten.  Can't keep them forever, but nobody ever does the guns live longer than we do.

Like the others I wouldn’t recommend doing this purely for that as ATF wouldn’t take kindly to it.

However I am a 08/01 and can take in post samples without LE letters from dealers going OOB. (I just am not allowed to build them myself).

That said I’m sure I could find a no LE letter sten for 1,500-2,000 on GB, but this isn’t for me. I’m putting my best friend on my NFA trust and am going to let him keep them at his house.

16 minutes ago, duza9999 said:

I am currently looking at 4 stens in the 7,800 to 8,400 all on form 4’s alternatively does anyone know what the going rate of a virgin tube is? Or are they all more expensive then a fully completed gun now? 

I wouldn’t mind getting one even if it costed more in the long run to have it built. I just want to put my foot in the door with both guns (a nice Reising and a sten) for no more than 17k.

I wouldn't bother with a virgin tube unless you get a great deal and have a good quality parts kit lined up. It's a pretty small sample size, but I have never seen a bad Sten tube. 

I think you should be able to do both a Reising and a Sten for $17k. 

Do you have any transferables (or Pre-May Samples) that you would be willing to trade? 

-Kristopher

ETA: I just remembered you mentioned a Pre-May Madsen. There is a guy on here on Sturm who might be willing to trade you a Sten or Reising for it. 

ETA 2: damcv62 might be the guy you want to talk to.

Edited by MontanaRenegade86

2 hours ago, Trident1984 said:

Just skip the Reising.  Unless you are downright obsessed with it's history (which is, frankly, somewhat dismal) then it's a pretty boring MG.

The only reason I have a Reising is because I had to buy it in an MG collection I bought out several years ago.  It was a piece of junk, IMO at the time. I had to replace the all springs(firing pin mechanism is just silly) and track down good magazines so I could at least sell it as functional. The only reason I still have it today is because it's fun as hell to shoot. If you get a Reising that works, they are great.  I've had and sold several Stens,  I have no interest in keeping a STEN.  If I were the OP, I forget about the STEN and put that money into tracking down Good Christie Reising mags and buying good .45ACP.

On 6/27/2022 at 1:19 PM, duza9999 said:

Just bought a really nice John Stemple Sten found on a form 4 at 8,200 shipped and tax stamp included. 
Thank you to everyone who provided offers!

With regards-Mat 

Fantastic. 

The Sten is a great way to start a collection of transferables. 

-KristopherH