Can you re engrave manufactures info

Dean

Looking at a Polytech AK by SWD.  They used the original serial number for the gun which looks fine.  But underneath by the trigger guard where their info is looks like shit.  Like a blind special person with an electro pencil did it.  Could it re done by a gunsmith to look better?  

4 hours ago, Dean said:

Looking at a Polytech AK by SWD.  They used the original serial number for the gun which looks fine.  But underneath by the trigger guard where their info is looks like shit.  Like a blind special person with an electro pencil did it.  Could it re done by a gunsmith to look better?  

you can add the number elsewhere, but the original must remain untouched.

so no

No no no don't touch leave it as shitty as it is.   I agree with you I've seen about 40 lightning links and ypu can see where his electro pencil tip wore out as the numbered get higher.  I kid you not.  the 400's looks like it's just a pencile barely through the finish.

My understanding is that if SWD was still in business they could do it (as original mfg), but now, no changes unless you get an explicit letter from ATF to remark/repair the SN engraving on the item.

I’ve encountered a number of items where the original markings were poor and someone had added a new set of duplicate markings.  Imho, this is problematic as now it is unclear which was original…  I’d view it as detracting from the value of the item or potentially making it worthless…

Don’t mess with it.

Matt

Edited by mattnh

I’ve got an AOW Mossberg .410 pump that was converted by Harley Krager.  The engraving is so light, you have to move it around in the light to see it.  And he did not use the factory serial number.  Wish I could have it redone.

Funny that it shows this as my first post.  I’ve had this account for years, just don’t post often.

Edited by woodenword

I have a barrel w/ suppressor for my American 180.. and the engraving on that is way hard to see.. Had to ask the previous owner/dealer where it was and he pointed it out. I'm not too concerned about it unless the engraving gets damaged.to the point of inability to read it.