S&W 76 extractors

Navgunner

UPDATE 6/3/22  All first production extractors are SOLD.  I'm giving a very big thank you to the board and our community!

I’m a manufacturing engineer with access to a wire edm so I was thinking about making some Smith & Wesson 76 extractors. If I do, anyone here interested?? I’d have to make at least 25 pcs. and sell them for $75 each to justify the setup. 

UPDATE 5/8/2022

Thank you so much to our Strumgewehr community!  I appreciate the feedback and interest. It’s good to hear back from a couple of people that I’ve worked with here before. OK, I’m going to put together all of the CAD work this week to cut a “first-off” sample for testing. This is a pretty straightforward part to wire edm but I’m still gonna have to performance check on my MG before I start sending these out into the community. I’m guessing about a month and I’ll have these ready to go. I’ll report more as information becomes available to post.   

very respectfully,

navgunner

C3EEE830-5040-4801-854D-5CC9341E81B8.jpeg

Edited by Navgunner
close "for sale" and transition back to NFA discussion
  • Like 2

UPDATE 5/11/2022

Working prototype completed and preliminary function testing complete. All mechanical testing is better than original. Now I just need to harden some tool steel, cut a batch and test some more. I’m planning on a onetime run of 30 pcs.  Individuals who sent me comments above or PMs get priority.  
v/r,

navgunner

Ok, I’m ready to start making a batch of production parts in the next couple of days so I need to take orders now so I’ll know how many to make.  I will make a small over-run for stragglers but I don't want to make too many as my cost to produce is high.    Note that these are made specifically for the Smith & Wesson 76 and I don’t believe that these will work in the MK 760 as I’m told those gun’s extractors have different geometries. For now, first extractor is $75 and any additional is $65.  I will ship no later than Friday May 27th.  These are in the white but I can cold blue if you want. 

PM for ordering

These are wire EDM cut A2 hardened “tool steel”. My testing outperform the factory part. 

Are extractors really worth anything? I recently needed one for my conversion kit so while I was at it, I made an extra 20 or so and gave them away. They were 440C HRC68 or so. I have a seat of solid works and 2 wire EDMs and it never occurred to me to make obsolete or upgrades for poorly engineered OEM parts
Lee

Edited by RevolverJockey

@RevolverJockey

I feel like I’m helping others.  I’m getting some requests for a similar (not the same) extractor for a mk760. I don’t have an example to reverse engineer and some guys here could really use your help. Can you please fill the need?

Edited by Navgunner
Original was poorly written

Big thanks to everyone who has already reached out.  I'm fairly certain that I've responded via PM to everyone one above that's expressed interest but if I've missed anyone than please let me know.  My plan is to get a final head count early next week and then produce enough extractors to make sure that everyone interested gets one.  I will start shipping these out no later than Friday the 27th to ppl who are paid.  Please don't hesitate to call or email me if needed (info included in PM)

Very Respectfully, 

Navgunner 

14 hours ago, RevolverJockey said:

Are extractors really worth anything?

Yes.  There is always a market, albeit small, for said parts that noone makes.   Keep in mind that the setup time to make such stuff, even if you already own the expensive quiptment to make it, is time consuming.  I make a lot of oddball unobtanium parts for the shooting industry, mainly for NRA high power competitors and its not a money making thing, thats for sure.  So kudos to Navgunner for helping out us fellow NFA folks.   I dont have a SW76, if I did, I would be in on this buy as well.

2 hours ago, themarksman@charter.net said:

Yes.  There is always a market, albeit small, for said parts that noone makes.   Keep in mind that the setup time to make such stuff, even if you already own the expensive quiptment to make it, is time consuming.  I make a lot of oddball unobtanium parts for the shooting industry, mainly for NRA high power competitors and its not a money making thing, thats for sure.  So kudos to Navgunner for helping out us fellow NFA folks.   I dont have a SW76, if I did, I would be in on this buy as well.

@themarksman@charter.net
I really appreciate the kind words.  Labor of love for sure because there’s just not enough volume to justify the effort and loss of machine time.  

Thank you Sturmgewehr community!  I never could have imagined that this many people were in such need of S&W76 extractors so I feel blessed for the opportunity to help you all in this small way. 

Brodie74 is the last order that I'm taking for now as I've had over 20 guys IM me with their commitment; I want to provide these individuals with ample opportunity to send me their payment but I also don't want to have an enormous overrun if people flake out.  Please, if I have have sent you a personal message and you have not sent payment then please do so and message me so that I know and can add that information to my list.

production update: The A2 tool steel is at heat treat and I expect to get it back early next week.  I will cut the parts later in the week and get the extractors out to those who are paid, (when those go out I will let individual people know and all that ask is that ya'll let me know when you receive your packages). 

Aside: I'm in desperate need of a 0.350" (9mm diameter) full size uzi lower receiver bushing.  If anyone has one I'd be incredibly thankful for the opportunity to purchase.  

Update: A2 steel has been hardened and wire edm cut so all I that I have left to do is to lightly polish and cold blue then these will go out in the mail tomorrow to paid individuals as promised.  This has been a lot of work but fun!  

0B75A661-6B54-4BE9-BFA7-FB4F1B471C47.jpeg

Edited by Navgunner
Add photo

Nice setup. I don’t recognize the lower head, what machine is that? On a side note, I have a hardness tester if you are curious and want to send me a sample of the material. I can get you an HRC number as long as it is between 25 and 70 or so. Congrats on the progress!

Lee

Edited by RevolverJockey

Yesterday I shipped a total of 31 extractors to paid individuals ... wow!  I have twelve that are accounted for but not yet paid and only seven left which I will sell for $80 each until their all gone (I gave discounts to only those who per-ordered).  Thank you all so very much and please provide feedback in this tread. I recommend going ahead and swapping out your extractor for this one as it performed better but also to save the factory unit. 

Very Respectfully,

Navgunner

• Like 1

Thank you to the entire Sturmgewehr community, especially to those of you that I've had the pleasure of working with during this extractor project!  I only have two extractors left, afterwords I can take a list if anyone is still interested.  If I get enough requests then I'd be open to make another batch but I'd want to make at least another 50 if I'm gonna do it.  This has been a lot of fun but the paperwork portion is an absolute pain in the ...

Honestly, thank you all for allowing me the opportunity to help y'all keep these old sub-guns working for decades to come!

Very Respectfully,

Navgunner

Edited by Navgunner
clarification

2 hours ago, Rimcrew said:

I’d take a couple for the MK, if you ever do a run of those.  :D

MK 760 EXTRACTORS

I'm not opposed to making extractors specifically for the MK760 but I think that @RevolverJockey was offering to help with that one. 

Personally (if I were to take on the project), I'd need access to one of these MK760s so I could reverse engineer and test fire.  I'd insist on shooting at least a thousand rounds before I was ready to present anything to our community but the price of ammo is a financial hurdle these days too.

If someone here is willing, I recommend that an individual starts a separate post to see if we could gain enough support to justify the project.  Please note that this is a labor of love for me and that I get really excited doing this but it's definitely not a real money maker either so I'd only take on the project if it helped a lot of people.   

S&W 76 EXTRACTORS

Since I've already done so much work, I would very much appreciate it if the community would get together and coordinate a group-buy for one big order of S&W 76 extractors.  Approximately 30 people bought a total of 50 extractors so far and I have to believe that there must be at least a few hundred guys with this particular sub-gun who still need these things.  I'm not going to have the ability to do this forever so if there is a need than let's sort it now.  Thank you, Sturmgewehr friends & family!

Edited by Navgunner
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, plumber3613 said:

Hello,I have a mk760. does the bolt on the s&w76 use the same extractor?If so I would like one. Thanks

@plumber3613  Please read the entire string above for clarification but in summery no, I do not believe that this extractor will work reliably (or at all) in a MK 760. 

• 1 year later...
On 5/5/2022 at 6:16 PM, Navgunner said:

UPDATE 6/3/22  All first production extractors are SOLD.  I'm giving a very big thank you to the board and our community!

I’m a manufacturing engineer with access to a wire edm so I was thinking about making some Smith & Wesson 76 extractors. If I do, anyone here interested?? I’d have to make at least 25 pcs. and sell them for $75 each to justify the setup. 

UPDATE 5/8/2022

Thank you so much to our Strumgewehr community!  I appreciate the feedback and interest. It’s good to hear back from a couple of people that I’ve worked with here before. OK, I’m going to put together all of the CAD work this week to cut a “first-off” sample for testing. This is a pretty straightforward part to wire edm but I’m still gonna have to performance check on my MG before I start sending these out into the community. I’m guessing about a month and I’ll have these ready to go. I’ll report more as information becomes available to post.   

very respectfully,

navgunner

C3EEE830-5040-4801-854D-5CC9341E81B8.jpeg

Will you be making more ? I'm in need of 3 

1 hour ago, Navgunner said:

Unfortunately, no. I have no plans of making any more. However, I would do a bulk run if somebody wanted to organize a group buy.  I’d need a minimum order of 40 at $50 each. 

That may be possible.  There are several 76 owners on machinegun boards and they organized a group buy of stock adapters a few months ago.  I'll ask over there and maybe we can get up an order.  Thanks.

19 minutes ago, Bill in Bama said:

That may be possible.  There are several 76 owners on machinegun boards and they organized a group buy of stock adapters a few months ago.  I'll ask over there and maybe we can get up an order.  Thanks.

Thank you @Bill in Bama!  These projects are definitely a labor of love for me; I fill most of my spare time with them, but I stay incredibly busy at my day job so they take time.  A group buy is the only way that I see me running any of these in 2023-2024.  I really enjoy the engineering/manufacturing side of these projects (making parts for our MG community) but I really dislike peddling them just a few at a time. 

Lately, I've been focusing my efforts on making domestic FN FNC bolts (I'm very close to kicking off production on those).  I expect to start delivering those Q1 of 2024 (just a few months away).

V/R,

Navgunner

9 hours ago, Bill in Bama said:

I'm in for 5 of them 

I’m serious about making another round of extractors, but it’s going to take a single person to champion the group buy.  I’ll need that person’s contact information and then when your group is ready to place the order I’ll need a single payment by that same person.  I will then ship all of the extractors that I make for that group to that same person. That individual would then be responsible for distribution to the group members.  

I don’t mean to sound discouraging, but I’ve seen this story play out a few times where there’s plenty of interest but no particular person taking charge, which is unfortunate. 

very respectfully, 

Navgunner

I totally understand your situation, no need to apologize.  I'm trying to gin up interest on some of the other boards, although I don't know if I'm the right person to head up the group buy.  There are more experienced and tenured guys out there who may be willing to do that, but I'm willing to be point man right now to get something organized.  Thanks for your willingness to make another run.