Where to source replacement trips for rdias?

AZK Brock

I’ve got a registered drop in auto sear that I recently got approval for & the original trip it came with I believe it too small and I’m having timing issues in anything other than a colt SP1 and I’m wondering if anyone knows where I can source replacement trips? 

im also in AZ if anyone else in the state has a rdias too and would like to drop some knowledge on me regarding getting these to work with multiple hosts.

thanks!

Dumb question, but are these a controlled part? I am a prototyping machinist and have a few wire EDM. I have made hardened extractors and things for people and could make you one out of hardened 440C if there were a sample or sketch to work from. Assuming it is legal of course (I honestly have no clue). In Tucson.

Lee

Edited by RevolverJockey
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JWG said:

Did you try using your sp1 bolt carrier in the other host wepons?

I have, still no dice. I can get it to dry fire 95% of the time with a hard charge and let the bolt slam forward , but only without a a loaded magazine inserted. Once I put ammo and chamber a round it’s a dead trigger. I do have a G SSF trigger installed, but in the colt SP1 I only have tried a stock mil spec trigger.

this is what it does when I install in a psa upper & lower with a Griffen 60/120 m16 selector & geiselle SSF trigger

https://imgur.com/a/3NdoFF4

https://imgur.com/a/4Ei9m3O

11 hours ago, RevolverJockey said:

Dumb question, but are these a controlled part? I am a prototyping machinist and have a few wire EDM. I have made hardened extractors and things for people and could make you one out of hardened 440C if there were a sample or sketch to work from. Assuming it is legal of course (I honestly have no clue). In Tucson.

Lee

It’s a good question, yes it’s legal to make the trip just not body that holds the trip as that is the serialized “machine gun” 

This is the only thread I can find with dimensions.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/HOW-TO-Make-an-RDIAS-Replacement-Trip/23-253170/

I’m not sure if it’s the same as the trip I already have as I haven’t took the pin out of my sear body and popped it out to look at it yet. 

& fwiw my rdias body looks exactly like the one in the photo on ar15.com shape wise 

Edited by AZK Brock

5 hours ago, Side Arm Sams said:

Try contacting a member here. His handle is JECIII. John does lightning link paddles and upper receiver/bolt work. He

may be able to help with your DIAS trips as well. 

Jim

Is that Jeciii or LLL? Thanks for the tip! 

20 hours ago, RevolverJockey said:

Lee

no, legal to make have

On 4/18/2022 at 2:34 PM, AZK Brock said:

I’ve got a registered drop in auto sear that I recently got approval for & the original trip it came with I believe it too small and I’m having timing issues in anything other than a colt SP1 and I’m wondering if anyone knows where I can source replacement trips? 

im also in AZ if anyone else in the state has a rdias too and would like to drop some knowledge on me regarding getting these to work with multiple hosts

thanks!

go to ar15.com and under the ma16 in the armory they have a post about timing them as well as how to make a trip

When I had a sear, I used shims too time it to the gun, some have set screws in them.

Once it was timed correctly, I then milled out pocket a little, and used JB weld as a bedding material and bedded the dias to the lower.  I did this for a couple lowers and I never messed with a shim again.

if works in other guns, then it might just be bolt bounce. I wouldnt build different trips for each gun

eta your not using a sp1 carrier right?

Edited by taylorwso

20 hours ago, AZK Brock said:

It’s a good question, yes it’s legal to make the trip just not body that holds the trip as that is the serialized “machine gun” 

This is the only thread I can find with dimensions.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/HOW-TO-Make-an-RDIAS-Replacement-Trip/23-253170/

I’m not sure if it’s the same as the trip I already have as I haven’t took the pin out of my sear body and popped it out to look at it yet. 

& fwiw my rdias body looks exactly like the one in the photo on ar15.com shape wise 

Seems pretty straight forward. If nothing else I could generate up a solid works file that could be sent to any machine shop. FWIW, when I make things like this, I usually make them out of pre-hardened material - something like HRC 65-70. That might be TOO hard as I would assume the trip is meant to be a sacrificial part so you don’t damage the bolt carrier. Open to thoughts or trying to help if I can. 
Lee

12 hours ago, RevolverJockey said:

Seems pretty straight forward. If nothing else I could generate up a solid works file that could be sent to any machine shop. FWIW, when I make things like this, I usually make them out of pre-hardened material - something like HRC 65-70. That might be TOO hard as I would assume the trip is meant to be a sacrificial part so you don’t damage the bolt carrier. Open to thoughts or trying to help if I can. 
Lee

make them out of hardened metal or it will wear down.

I made one from mild steel, it got worn down, then just had MGjoe make one, it lasted 75K+ and you could only see a slightly shiny spot on it. its still working afaik

On 4/20/2022 at 5:36 PM, taylorwso said:

go to ar15.com and under the ma16 in the armory they have a post about timing them as well as how to make a trip

When I had a sear, I used shims too time it to the gun, some have set screws in them.

Once it was timed correctly, I then milled out pocket a little, and used JB weld as a bedding material and bedded the dias to the lower.  I did this for a couple lowers and I never messed with a shim again.

if works in other guns, then it might just be bolt bounce. I wouldnt build different trips for each gun

eta your not using a sp1 carrier right?

• 4 weeks later...