SBS Form 1...Semi vs O/U

Plm455

I'm  looking to form 1 an sbs on my trust before the rules change in July. I'm thinking either a semi auto or over under. What type of headaches to expect if I choose to do a semi? Can it be done successfully? What platforms are recommended? I know that I can do the o/u with no problems. Thoughts? Any one done a semi?

I had a Mooseburg 5500 12 gauge done up several decades ago with no problems. Functions well but of not much use at turkey shoots and similar. Good for clearing fields of starlings, etc back in the day when I was stupid, but it really should shine as a social tool. A nylon pistol grip type stock was adapted and it sports a 13 inch barrel. 

10333Mooseburg3.JPG

Edited by Shattered
  • Like 1

On 4/13/2016 at 11:51 AM, Plm455 said:

I'm  looking to form 1 an sbs on my trust before the rules change in July. I'm thinking either a semi auto or over under. What type of headaches to expect if I choose to do a semi? Can it be done successfully? What platforms are recommended? I know that I can do the o/u with no problems. Thoughts?

Would recommend Tromix.... Form 1 a Saiga 12...then send to Tony Rumore.... Mine is a 10" ...20 round drum....12, 10, 8, 5 round mags....shoots 3" or 23/4" haven't had a jam yet 600 rounds and counting ...I'll clean it as soon as it starts to malfunction....

Edited by Born loser...in Montana
Arthritis

Ive cut up and put chokes in I think every semi auto shotgun made to date except some really weird guns. Most people do A5 or clones and they work well, the problem is they are long recoil and by cutting the barrel weight in have you decrease the operating mass which in turn increases the operating speed. In a nut shell it turns it into somewhat of a jackhammer. 

On gas operated guns you loose a lot of your dwell time when going shorter so the gas system has to be modified accordingly.

The Saiga, or one of its variants, is the best magazine fed platform for an SBS. Good selection of magazines, easy to modify, easy to clean, etc.

If I had to pick a tube-fed auto, I would personally choose the Versamax. It has a pair of short stroke, self-cleaning, self-adjusting gas pistons that function similar to an AK. The pistons/gas ports are at the chamber so dwell time is not affected significantly by barrel length. While I haven't converted one to an 8" barrel, I fired both the shorter tactical versions and longer sporting ones extensively to the tune of 1000's of rounds. They are extremely soft-shooting and I have never experienced a single malfunction, running everything from buckshot to slugs to the worst Win Universal bulk pack.

I have a Saiga 12 and a Versamax, and the versamax is MUCH softer shooting and more reliable.