07 sot potentially moving to SC or NC have questions

JECIII

I am a current 07 sor holder lot of you know me.of we done so business over the last 15 years.  I might be moving to the charolette area.   Which state is more ffl friendly nc or sc?   Am looking in york county sc.  And looking to start up another ffl there.  Any mfg out there can tell me any of the state gotchya's in NC pr sc or any additional state requirements ot licenses.  I read something about mfg must notify sled of each mg manufactured?  NC has some stupid mg prohibition?

Also have several premays and some tramsferrables in a pre Obama 51p trust.  Any issues moving those into the state?

Also what about shooting any good ranges in the are there what about shooting on private land outside any city.

Thanks 

John C 

Owner JECIII

John,

NC has gotten somewhat friendlier towards NFA stuff in recent years but still may not be the friendliest state.  There was an attorney, Jeff somebody, I think, who had a site NCNFA.com or something like that, who was the go-to guy for NC NFA questions.  I met him years ago at a shoot hosted by a now-dead friend.  I don't know if he is still around or if his website still exists.  NC used to require an additional MG permit, but no more.   I'm a C&R holder and have a small mix of C&R and non-C&R stuff.  Never had any problems.  I've heard/read that the Charlotte area is/was not NFA friendly.  Since the elimination of LEO sign off, that may no longer be an issue.  I live in a densely populated coastal area but I have some rural acreage the next county up I-40 so having a place to shoot is not an issue for me.  I don't know if the Charlotte area has any NFA friendly ranges.  I can't speak for SC.  If you want a place to shoot on your own land, consider the coastal plain, inland from the beach and away from larger cities.  There are still bargains to be had on large tracts of woodland and farmland, but prices are going up and good deals don't stay on the market long.  Let us know how it goes.

Kevin in NC

Charlotte is saturated with FFLs and C3s stemming from suppressor sales and higher income earners in the area.  There are numerous indoor ranges within a 1 hour radius of the city that are MG friendly.  No way you can make money on title 1 guns in Charlotte.  "Outside the city" for charlotte extends 1 to 2 hours drive and land is very expensive.  Rural SC is better if you just want recreational property or way up near the VA border.

• 3 months later...

I’ve lived in Brunswick,  Georgia and rural low country SC as a NFA owner.  The only problem I have had was some range owners won’t allow personal full auto on their ranges. I’d get enough land to have your own range. Given the number of FFLs in my area, it seems to be pretty FFL friendly.  

Charlotte is a great city from a social/event/food standpoint. Cost of housing is high. The city is run by leftists. Taxes are high. But there is a ton of money and luxury items sell well. NC in general has excellent gun laws. NC residents can own all types of title-2 items. There is a pistol purchase permit that must be issued by the Sheriff and is required for all pistol purchases. The purchase permit was total Jim Crowe era nonsense, is annoying, and unconstitutional. Concealed carry permit holders don’t need a purchase permit. 

SC is definitely more conservative, pro-2a location. 

Edited by SLG