Just giving props to Surefire (Don't buy Duracell)

Ryo

Just want to give props out to Surefire for a repair (replacement) of my XC1 weaponlight after Duracell batteries leaked and damaged the tail switch. They actually sent me a newer model of the weaponlight as a replacement. I totally expected to pay for the repair since it wasn't Surefire's fault that Duracell batteries SUCK.

FYI: I have like 20+ duracell AAA batteries which all leaked acid. Exiration dates vary form 2023 to 2025. So I say DO NOT buy duracell for your stuff. Energizer hasn't leaked on me.  I use to be a fan of duracell until nearly all my batteries I bought leaked..

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

That's good to know RYO, lots of the Duracells and even the Energizers are being made in the far east now but I too have only had failures in the Duracell brands. If I can avoid Chinesium I will just on principal, the AA lithium Energizers I just bought were Singapore. The Japanese still make good batteries also but Surefire only makes the 123 types or I would use them too.

Edited by MEW

I used to carry an XC1B on my G19 daily until when turned on it wouldn't turn off.  Grabbed my spare one and it wouldn't even work with a new battery.  Sent them back to SF...they fixed the one and replaced the other.  I sold them off and the one guy I know who bought the "rebuilt" had to send it back and it too was replaced.  Those lights (XC1B) can be hit or miss.  Never had a battery leak, my issues were with the switches.

I have 2 of them, one light (the one with the damage) and the other with laser, both work fine currently.  I never put them through its paces like some of you guys so possibly I may have a switch issue, but I check them once in a while for practice and they always worked. They are more for home protection than everyday carry. Though I'm thinking of getting a holster for my EDC that can accommodate them.

1 hour ago, MEW said:

That's good to know RYO, lots of the Duracells and even the Energizers are being made in the far east now but I too have only had failures in the Duracell brands. If I can avoid Chinesium I will just on principal, the AA lithium Energizers I just bought were Singapore. The Japanese still make good batteries also but Surefire only makes the 123 types or I would use them too.

I should look at the packaging.. just to see if they are Chinese made. I wouldn't doubt they are. Some of those Duracells I mentioned leaked within the original packaging.

5 hours ago, Ryo said:

I should look at the packaging.. just to see if they are Chinese made. I wouldn't doubt they are. Some of those Duracells I mentioned leaked within the original packaging.

all alkaline batteries are crap now since the ban on heavy metals.

I only run lithium now

I think I still have a leather IWB holster I had custom made that was for a Glock 19 and XC1.  

I used to check the light each morning (turn it on for a sec and turn it off) and religously changed out the battery once a month.  I really did like that light, but once I had those failures I couldn't put my trust in them again.  I went back to an X300.  Its a bit bulker but those older ones are tanks!