Needing help

Heman

I'm trying to make my first legal post-DIAS as I'm a Type 07/02 SOT.  Using the dimensions you find publicly but it isn't helping, the trip is well short of the hammer.  I'm needing some help, understand how it works, just can't get the dimensions right.   Realize this may be a sensitive topic but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong and really don't want to 3rd hole the lower.  PM me and I can provide you my number or email.  Thanks in advance. 

Would you be able to find someone local with an RDIAS to pattern yours off of? I've never made one but as a machinist I sometimes find that it is easier to pattern a physical part that works instead of having to rely on a questionable print. It could save you a lot of time.

17 hours ago, Heman said:

I'm trying to make my first legal post-DIAS as I'm a Type 07/02 SOT.  Using the dimensions you find publicly but it isn't helping, the trip is well short of the hammer.  I'm needing some help, understand how it works, just can't get the dimensions right.   Realize this may be a sensitive topic but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong and really don't want to 3rd hole the lower.  PM me and I can provide you my number or email.  Thanks in advance. 

Drill the lower.  Dias are a PITA

For most of the dimensions you might have to shim the dias forward on the rear lug to catch the hammer. .

Thank you to all that replied.  The issue with drilling the lower is it is not a standard AR15 lower but the ARV lower from PSA.  You can't just buy a separate lower but only in their build kit $540.  If I decide to get rid of my SOT I don't want to have to destroy the lower.  Otherwise if it was a $50 regular lower it wouldn't be an issue or question.  

Does it have space for a standard DIAS or do you have to make a custom one?

Maybe a stupid idea, but I always thought of an interesting idea is to redesign the sear to fit into the interior of the lower, like a DIAS but you don't have to drill holes into the lower, you don't have to design the 2 parts for the DIAS.  Just modify the original sear to be thinner and a shell to lock it in the correct location..

Yes the trigger well areas and the majority of the lower is the same as a standard AR.  SO a standard DIAS would fit, I just need to know which base goes with which trip as I think I'm mixing the plans.  They modified the mag well and the mag/bolt release to be different.   Also the bolt itself is different.  Over all the modifications are rather cool.   The design you talked about it something I wondered also.  But I'd need to mill out the side of the lower to increase the width as it has the indentation on it to narrow it.  As of right now I'm just trying to do the least invasive approach possible.  

17 hours ago, Ryo said:

Does it have space for a standard DIAS or do you have to make a custom one?

Maybe a stupid idea, but I always thought of an interesting idea is to redesign the sear to fit into the interior of the lower, like a DIAS but you don't have to drill holes into the lower, you don't have to design the 2 parts for the DIAS.  Just modify the original sear to be thinner and a shell to lock it in the correct location..

That's actually easy to do.  You can take some steel strapping, bend it into a horeshoe, wrap around the back of the take down lug (the lug is thinned) and use the slimmed down sear/pin.

bur drilling is easier

17 hours ago, Heman said:

Thank you to all that replied.  The issue with drilling the lower is it is not a standard AR15 lower but the ARV lower from PSA.  You can't just buy a separate lower but only in their build kit $540.  If I decide to get rid of my SOT I don't want to have to destroy the lower.  Otherwise if it was a $50 regular lower it wouldn't be an issue or question.  

you're a sot and a 540 lower is a problem?

If you give up your sot you know you can sell it, right? 

1 hour ago, taylorwso said:

you're a sot and a 540 lower is a problem?

If you give up your sot you know you can sell it, right? 

Maybe he wants to keep it afterwards but doesn't want to spend the money to get a 2nd one. He'd rather destroy the DIAS (or resell it).
Or he's afraid to screw up
Or he doesn't know that he can sell it. ;)

No I realize drilling the 3rd hole would be the easiest way and that was the initial plan however.  If I get rid of my SOT I would have to destroy or sell it (yes I know I can).  I don't want to sell it.  Understand for some the prince may not be that much but I'm a VERY small operation and don't want to purchase again (I'm a PSA dealer so price is less but still dont' want to).  Plus PSA doesn't just sell the ARV lowers so getting an extra lower isn't an option.  The DIAS in theory is the easier way. 

The other issue is the bolt is based off of the M16 BCG (back part) put the front part is a little different.  My sales rep "Thinks" it can do full auto but isn't sure.  He said he isn't sure if they ever did a test with it doing that.  So doing a DIAS first to see if it works sounds better than drilling a 3rd hole only to find out I have a semi-auto with a 3rd  hole that is now on paper a machine gun even though it can't.  Trying to get an answer from their engineers on that.  

Also DIAS gives me some flexibility with  a regular lower not having to have 2 different things registered.  

As far as selling yes I'm well aware contacted the local class 3 dealers and LE agencies to let them know I'm here and can do the 3rd hole operation and stuff for them if they need it.  

Appreciate everyone's commenting.  I think at this time I just need to know what trip blueprint goes with what sear body blueprint as it appears there are 2 different variants.

Edited by Heman