Ares Defense-Fightlite belt loading problem.

3rdmardiv

I am having problems with loading a .223 belt into my Ares Defense/Fightlite, FA, MCR.  Using a starter tab, it works fine.  If I try to load a belt without the tab, the first round only chambers part way.  Can a belt be loaded without using a tab, or is the tab always needed?  Thanx.

3 hours ago, 3rdmardiv said:

Is the Shrike configured the same as the MCR?

My Shrike is the original upper that evolved into the MCR.  I know there have been several minor changes to them over the years, so I really can't say.  I have the original feed tray made from an M249 feed tray and I did install one of Mark Genovese's bullet guides.  I generally shoot cheap (well, formerly cheap) Tula or Wolf steel-cased ammo and never even clean my links and it feeds just fine.

2 hours ago, Ryo said:

Maybe you have a burr or something? 

Does the first round fail have any damage to the bullet ie hits something and slows the bolt enough not to load the first round? 

Don't think there is a burr.  The round seems to try to go in at a downward angle and stops part way.  The odd thing is that with a starter tab it chambers perfectly.  Frustrating.

1 hour ago, 3rdmardiv said:

Don't think there is a burr.  The round seems to try to go in at a downward angle and stops part way.  The odd thing is that with a starter tab it chambers perfectly.  Frustrating.

Just tried loading a belt without tab and it now chambers perfectly several times.  Still don't know what I did right, or wrong, when not loading.  Thanks for all of the suggestions.  I'll keep trying to duplicate the loading problems, obviously I was doing something wrong.

The tab does provide a quick and easy way to insure the first round is properly oriented on the feed tray as you close the top cover.  Without one, it's pretty easy to have the round get misaligned, as the rest of the belt is tugging it to the left thanks to gravity.  Maybe just take a moment to be sure the first round is aligned properly as you are closing and locking down the top cover?

Just for fun, I made up some starter tabs that can be pulled right through the gun without opening the top cover so you can reload like the old days with the .30 BMG.  With the bolt to the rear, stick the starter tab in from the left, tug on it until the round is on the feed tray, then pull trigger.  The military went with the starter tabs that also provide a dust cover for the ammo box, but you have to open the top cover to reload.  I guess that's what happens when you spend a lot of time shooting bad guys in the desert.

4 hours ago, DINK said:

The tab does provide a quick and easy way to insure the first round is properly oriented on the feed tray as you close the top cover.  Without one, it's pretty easy to have the round get misaligned, as the rest of the belt is tugging it to the left thanks to gravity.  Maybe just take a moment to be sure the first round is aligned properly as you are closing and locking down the top cover?

Just for fun, I made up some starter tabs that can be pulled right through the gun without opening the top cover so you can reload like the old days with the .30 BMG.  With the bolt to the rear, stick the starter tab in from the left, tug on it until the round is on the feed tray, then pull trigger.  The military went with the starter tabs that also provide a dust cover for the ammo box, but you have to open the top cover to reload.  I guess that's what happens when you spend a lot of time shooting bad guys in the desert.

Thanks for the help!  I've learned quite a bit about the MCR loading process.  I think I need to take my time and make sure everything is lined up properly.