WTS: The Guns Of August Hardcover Book & Kennedy Theodore C. Sorensen Hardcover Book

The Guns of August $25 shipped REDUCED $20 shipped REDUCED $17 shipped

The Guns of August 
TheGunsOfAugust.jpg
First edition cover
Author Barbara W. Tuchman
Country United States
Language English
Genre Military historynarrative history
Published 1962 (Macmillan)
Media type Print (Hardcover)
Pages 511
OCLC 30087894
940.4/144 20
LC Class D530 .T8 1994

The Guns of August (1962) (published in the UK as August 1914) is a volume of history by Barbara W. Tuchman. It is centered on the first month of World War I. After introductory chapters, Tuchman describes in great detail the opening events of the conflict. Its focus then becomes a military history of the contestants, chiefly the great powers.

The Guns of August thus provides a narrative of the earliest stages of World War I, from the decisions to go to war, up until the start of the Franco-British offensive that stopped the German advance into France. The result was four years of trench warfare. In the course of her narrative Tuchman includes discussion of the plans, strategies, world events, and international sentiments before and during the war.

The book was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for General Non-Fiction for publication year 1963,[1] and proved very popular. Tuchman later returned to the subject of the social attitudes and issues that existed before World War I, which she had touched upon in The Guns of August, in a collection of eight essays published in 1966 under the title The Proud Tower: A Portrait of the World Before the War, 1890–1914.[2]

Kennedy / Theodore C. Sorensen Special Counsel to the Late President First Edition 783 pages Hardcover $36 shipped REDUCED $20 shipped or buy BOTH BOOKS $30 shipped.

Photos Below

fullsizeoutput_723.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_725.jpeg

Edited by Rodney's Distributors

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...