goosehunter

Future of NFA items

14 posts in this topic

Did a search  on this and did not find any results.  Sorry if it has been covered, please point me to the discussion.

With the current administrations view on firearms, is the NFA community concerned about their investments?  The administration has openly stated an expansion of the NFA to include semi-auto and mags 11+.  Has anyone heard about a restriction to currently licensed firearms?

Looking to invest in more NFA firearms for enjoyment, but it would really hurt to have a confiscation of a multi-thousand dollar item.

Thank you for any input.

BG

no one knows all speculation

Don't spend a dime on NFA or anything else unless you are willing to lose that money.  I just went under contract yesterday on another piece of overpriced acreage just to have it.  I may never see a dime of profit from it.  Or maybe my land will be seized and redistributed to those who presumably deserve it more than I.  Or maybe that Chinese rocket booster will fall on my head and kill me.  Has that thing crashed yet anyway?  Think about it but not so much that your head explodes.  As said above, it's all speculation.

Good luck,

Kevin in NC

1 person likes this

37 minutes ago, taylorwso said:

no one knows all speculation

Understand, but it is hard to see/read all info from an administration.  Hence the question, has anyone seen/read info on this topic from the current admin?

Posted (edited)

I mean if you listen to them they want to add more stuff to the NFA, literally a national  registry,  with "burdensome," paperwork and expensive stamps for purchasing  and selling.  I think they would be thrilled to know who, what and where every firearm declared a NFA item is and who would have it.  In addition  they want to increase the NFA stamps price  and tie it to inflation.

Edited by Mojopin

i think that at least on a federal level you have a 35 yr track history (1986- present) to base your decision on.

I think you'll be fine w NFA ...federally .

State wise...highly dependent of course...ask those in Kali or DC or whatnot.

State restrictions is a bigger concern than federal for me at least.

On 5/9/2021 at 8:20 PM, goosehunter said:

Did a search  on this and did not find any results.  Sorry if it has been covered, please point me to the discussion.

With the current administrations view on firearms, is the NFA community concerned about their investments?  The administration has openly stated an expansion of the NFA to include semi-auto and mags 11+.  Has anyone heard about a restriction to currently licensed firearms?

Looking to invest in more NFA firearms for enjoyment, but it would really hurt to have a confiscation of a multi-thousand dollar item.

Thank you for any input.

BG

Read up on the 5th amendment to the US Constitution and the takings clause. https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/takings

Buy whatever you want. Don’t be afraid of confiscation. The constitution protects Americans from governments actions to take personal property.

On 5/9/2021 at 9:30 PM, Kevin Bartlett said:

Don't spend a dime on NFA or anything else unless you are willing to lose that money.  I just went under contract yesterday on another piece of overpriced acreage just to have it.  I may never see a dime of profit from it.  Or maybe my land will be seized and redistributed to those who presumably deserve it more than I.  Or maybe that Chinese rocket booster will fall on my head and kill me.  Has that thing crashed yet anyway?  Think about it but not so much that your head explodes.  As said above, it's all speculation.

Good luck,

Kevin in NC

Don’t live in fear Kevin. Buy what you want guns, land, etc. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, rob1 said:

Read up on the 5th amendment to the US Constitution and the takings clause. https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/takings

Buy whatever you want. Don’t be afraid of confiscation. The constitution protects Americans from governments actions to take personal property.

Not so sure about that. This article states a different opinion which is closely related to the issue at question. It is something to think about.

https://scholarship.law.duke.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=3833&context=lcp

Edited by shiklg

5 hours ago, rob1 said:

2 hours ago, shiklg said:

Not so sure about that. This article states a different opinion which is closely related to the issue at question. It is something to think about.

https://scholarship.law.duke.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=3833&context=lcp

Again, this is the reason for posing the question.  Our constitutional rights are up to an opinion of a small court.  As the two articles above illustrate, which way is the wind blowing today?

Well, I wouldn't buy ANY NFA as an investment. Buy it because you like it. That's it. Don't worry about the what ifs you can't change anyway. It is strictly an investment in fun. If money is your prime motivator then buy something "safer".

1 person likes this

I've been investing in it for enjoyment as well. I figured that prices will typically remain close to what I paid for and if it goes up then it is a bonus.  So far they have been doing both.. outstripping inflation.  WINNING.

13 hours ago, goosehunter said:

Again, this is the reason for posing the question.  Our constitutional rights are up to an opinion of a small court.  As the two articles above illustrate, which way is the wind blowing today?

Do not believe Americans Constitutional rights are up to the opinion of a small court.

Read these: https://reason.com/volokh/2020/04/08/the-federal-governments-police-power-and-the-takings-clause-part-iii/ and https://reason.com/volokh/2020/04/09/the-federal-governments-police-power-and-the-takings-clause-part-iv/ 

Buy whatever you want.

I'm not worried. B|