Dropping by for a few minutes

I'd like to thank everyone who has been supportive over the years with this ongoing health drama of mine. Seems like it's been going on forever. Looks like things are taking a major turn downwards pretty quick. I might get to see my pal Mike sooner than I thought.

Just got my latest blood test results....not good on multiple counts. 

The treatments are not working now, the blood numbers are dropping, and renal failure is setting in.

For those familiar with dialysis, you know it's really a temporary delay to a death sentence, I did it for 3 months in 2009, I just can't do it again now that I know how bad it makes you feel.

It's just not a life.

Well I achieved half of my goals anyway, I moved to Maine. The new shop, the  new things I was going to do, that probably won't be happening now. I will probably auction all of my new blacksmith tools, forges and power hammer in Virginia.

No sense in bringing it here to Maine.

Still on the fence about what to do with the weaponry. Funny how all this stuff, that was so important to me for so many years and now my life has become junk in a fire sale trying to beat the reaper.

R.L.

We've not met but I'm sorry to hear of your situation.  We have a friend who was hit with Goodpasture syndrome almost 2 years ago now.  She lost kidney function.  Dialysis was difficult at first but she has made it to see her son's HS graduation, daughter graduated from college,  a new grand baby, etc.  She is handling it much better now - not fun, granted - but getting along.  In her case the hope is for a transplant once certain criteria are met.  I know that a transplant is not always an option.  Purpose of this note is to try to offer some encouragement as you make your choices.  Options may not be great but they may offer some time for you to get some additional enjoyment from the ticket we've all been given for this life.  Good luck to you!

Hey Robert,

After reading your post, which is pretty much straight forward and to the point, all I can think is: "you are thinking clearly and you are going to do what one must do in those situations". That is pretty clear, however to be hit with that kind of Bad News and knowing what lies ahead, that is the tough part. So on the days that are mentally challenging, maybe post some words up and we will respond with some words of our own that are either encouraging or that make you smile/laugh!

Remember when we were buying Pre-86 sample MP5's for under $2500 This new generation of buyers/dealers will Never see those days! Ha Ha....

Take care and try and make Each Day Count, something that warms your heart or brings you a smile.

D.Scheid

• Like 3

Thank you for giving us an update.

I am sadden to hear how things are not going your way. I do pray that something miraculous will happen and you'll be in a stable state where life would be better than what it is now. 

Stay strong. Keep fighting. 

• Like 1

I don't know if it is appropriate, but there is a quote I found some time ago that has really stuck with me.

“..when you've nothing to lose, you run any risk you want.”
 Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

I'm wishing you the best, Robert.

-KristopherH

Edited by MontanaRenegade86

" Still on the fence about what to do with the weaponry. Funny how all this stuff, that was so important to me for so many years and now my life has become junk in a fire sale trying to beat the reaper. "

Sir, I never had the pleasure of meeting you but after I read your full post this morning, I felt horrible for what you must be going thru, your words and thoughts and at 57 just really gave me a moment to ponder what life is. My prayers are with you and your family and the extended gun family you have touched. I'm a successful building contractor here in CT with my brother as my partner for the past 35 years and understand the rat race. Certainly amazing how people come and go in one's life and the few that are close are precious. One day at a time. God Bless.

Rob

Somers, CT 

Guys,

I had an unexpected call from my local hospital today. I've been so bummed out with all that is happening, my mind certainly was wandering a lot today about just what the hell I'm going to do with everything that needs to be addressed in my life. Lots to think about.

Out of the blue, the oncology dept of my local hospital called to inform me that after reviewing my chart, there was another treatment, a totally different product they were ordering as a last ditch effort to boost my red cell count to safe levels.

Of course it comes with a longer IV absorption time(4 hr's 2x ea) and the same chemo side effects of feeling like crap for 2-3 days afterwards, but I'm going for it.

On top of that , my oldest daughter called to let me know she was gong to be tested as a kidney transplant donor for me! I was just floored she would do that for me. I am so proud of her, that she would do that for me,  but there is no way I will let her do that.

She's 43, has a great life, children and a husband..... I just can't in good conscience allow her to mutilate and jeopardize her health herself to save my stupid old ass. Not sure how any of you would deal with that, but I love her far more than I love myself . I just can't let her do that.

I can't thank you all enough for the prayers and good wishes you have been sending to me. It is so humbling and very much appreciated.

Best regards,

R.L.

Thoughts and prayers for you sir. I’ve always enjoyed reading your posts. 

Im only 35 and I’ve had a couple brushes with that black robed bastard and it’s made me appreciate the time I have plus made me look at “how much stuff do I really need”

hope tests turn in your favor soon 

• 2 weeks later...

Bob, never underestimate the power of prayer!  All of your family here on the Sturm wish good health and best wishes to you and family during this difficult time. Enjoyed our conversations and your all American attitude, my prayers are with you, thanks again, gordon  

4 hours ago, gordon s said:

Bob, never underestimate the power of prayer!  All of your family here on the Sturm wish good health and best wishes to you and family during this difficult time. Enjoyed our conversations and your all American attitude, my prayers are with you, thanks again, gordon  

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Thanks Aaron, I'm trying.

The Virginia trip last Saturday did not end well. The hospital cancelled my MRI after flying back specifically for that test!

I spent 4 hr's in the emergency room in Skowhegan after driving 14 hr's..

From Wilmington, Vermont to Maine I was bleeding internally. First pit stop was some blood, second one was a waterfall of blood. I knew I was in trouble then.

Figured this time I really was on my way out.....I could feel the blood migrating inside. Was getting cold.

So I was racing home on 95 N, 90mph to see the wife and my dogs one last time. Could not make it.

I had to stop in Skowhegan at Redding Hospital, kept passing out and almost caused a number of collisions from blacking out.

A cat is supposed to have 9 lives, glad I'm not a cat, I've had way more close calls than 9 so far. 

Dodged the bullet again and lived to talk about it.

Thank you all for your emails and kind words.

R.L.

• 5 weeks later...

Morning guys. A short update.

I really  miss being an active poster here, but life now has become busy with Dr appts, treatments, and tests.

The last treatment product did not work. Ferritin levels fell from 165 in March to 40 as of yesterday. That downward trend usually takes 6 months to a year.

Fighting with United Health care to approve my request for injectifer treatment. They flat out denied my old injectifer regimen. That one worked previously.

Probably costs more too, hence the denial.

Hope everyone is having a great summer.

Cheers,

R.L.