Jump to content

Next Subgun


Bwanalewis
 Share

Recommended Posts

The STEn is a surprisingly good gun.  It's as basic as they come.  A good gun for new shooters as it is easy to shoot well, reliable with good mags, and uncomplicated. 

It can be customized easily with lots of stock, barrel, suppressor, and other options.  As mentioned, parts are easy to find and relatively inexpensive.  You will find that the gun will need very little in the way of replacement parts.  It's weakness is the magazine.  Fortunately, magazines are still relatively inexpensive and easy to find.  Believe it or not, I have seen a lot of magazines discarded as unreliable that were simply dirty or full of cosmoline.  Feed lip angle issues are easy to spot and fix.  Magazines with the brass wires limiting capacity are easy to change back to full capacity and usually less expensive than the others.

Semi-auto trip levers are prone to bending as they are simple sheet metal.  Most folks don't bother using semi-auto as it is very easy to get single shots with a little trigger control.  Most STEns have a hole on the left side of the receiver that allows the bolt handle to be pushed in and lock the bolt forward.  This is a safety feature to keep the bolt from bouncing backwards (and firing) if the gun is dropped with a loaded magazine inserted.

Do NOT hold it by the magazine well like they do in the movies.  This can induce stoppages from magazine movement as well as inaccuracy from lateral dispersion.  The barrel shroud is there for a reason.

There are several options for magazine loaders.  My favorite is the simple 'spoon' style that clips on the back of the mag.  Easy to use and gives good leverage to push down each round.  Regardless of the type you choose, be sure to get one.  Magazines are very difficult to fully load without one.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, 1gewehr said:

The STEn is a surprisingly good gun.  It's as basic as they come.  A good gun for new shooters as it is easy to shoot well, reliable with good mags, and uncomplicated. 

It can be customized easily with lots of stock, barrel, suppressor, and other options.  As mentioned, parts are easy to find and relatively inexpensive.  You will find that the gun will need very little in the way of replacement parts.  It's weakness is the magazine.  Fortunately, magazines are still relatively inexpensive and easy to find.  Believe it or not, I have seen a lot of magazines discarded as unreliable that were simply dirty or full of cosmoline.  Feed lip angle issues are easy to spot and fix.  Magazines with the brass wires limiting capacity are easy to change back to full capacity and usually less expensive than the others.

Semi-auto trip levers are prone to bending as they are simple sheet metal.  Most folks don't bother using semi-auto as it is very easy to get single shots with a little trigger control.  Most STEns have a hole on the left side of the receiver that allows the bolt handle to be pushed in and lock the bolt forward.  This is a safety feature to keep the bolt from bouncing backwards (and firing) if the gun is dropped with a loaded magazine inserted.

Do NOT hold it by the magazine well like they do in the movies.  This can induce stoppages from magazine movement as well as inaccuracy from lateral dispersion.  The barrel shroud is there for a reason.

There are several options for magazine loaders.  My favorite is the simple 'spoon' style that clips on the back of the mag.  Easy to use and gives good leverage to push down each round.  Regardless of the type you choose, be sure to get one.  Magazines are very difficult to fully load without one.

Thanks for the information.  I know I have seen some names that put these together like ERB and DLO.  I guess they used new "tubes" with WWII parts kits.  Or should I look for a WWII gun, or does it really matter...

Chad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bwanalewis said:

Thanks for the information.  I know I have seen some names that put these together like ERB and DLO.  I guess they used new "tubes" with WWII parts kits.  Or should I look for a WWII gun, or does it really matter...

Chad

Depends on what you want to do with it.  If the historical value of a C&R gun has meaning for you, than pay the extra money and get the C&R STEN.  If  an investment is what you’re interested in, than pay the extra money and get the C&R because, as stated already, they generally sell for a bit more (though all FAs steadily increase in value over time) And collectors are after those.  If you just want to go to the range and shoot, then it may not be important to have a C&R gun. Whatever meets your needs and makes you happy, man.

Edited by Armydoc0115
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Armydoc0115 said:

Depends on what you want to do with it.  If the historical value of a C&R gun has meaning for you, than pay the extra money and get the C&R STEN.  If  an investment is what you’re interested in, than pay the extra money and get the C&R because, as stated already, they generally sell for a bit more (though all FAs steadily increase in value over time) And collectors are after those.  If you just want to go to the range and shoot, then it may not be important to have a C&R gun. Whatever meets your needs and makes you happy, man.

Very good points.  I think I am going to go down the modern tube with WWII parts.  Thanks for all the insight.  Now just need to find a good candidate.

Thanks again.

Chad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MontanaRenegade86 said:

A JAC manufactured STEN Mk. II was my very first machinegun. 

I've had a lot of fun with it over the years. Plain, simple, reliable...

I paid just over $4k for her in 2012, but to me she is priceless.

-KristopherH

 

1 hour ago, MontanaRenegade86 said:

This will not be my first MG, but from everyone I talk to, I also look forward to a SM II.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, BrettBaker said:

I have a DLO Mk. II Sten and love it! You're going to love yours too!

It's a fun gun, for sure.

If one gets bored with 9mm, a 7.62 Tokarev barrel and Colefire magazine can spice things up a bit. If you go that route, watch your recoil spring. :D 

-KristopherH

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I have either owned or shot almost every type of SMG on the market over the last 40 years. Love the STEn and MP-5 the most. Only time my C&R Mk II has malfunctioned was when shooters held it by the magazine and/or mag well whilst shooting.  Definitely get a loader tool. 

Always liked the looks of the Sterling,  but that darned folding stock needs three hands and an engineering degree to unfold/ fold. Ok, not that bad, but....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I use a pretty simple set of criteria for subguns.  I don't like anything that runs mags which require a loading tool.  I like guns that are reliable regardless of cleanliness, ammo, etc.  I like guns that have easily affordable mags and parts.  I like guns with options to run mags with more than 30-rounds.  Some may consider it a "boring" gun but I've settled on the Swedish K.  MP5 guns are VERY nice but with lots of use they will start to display stoppages (bobby pin extractor, rollers need to be changed, don't like being dirty, etc.).  That's my $0.02.  

Many flavors of ice cream exist because everyone has different likes.  I get chocolate.  It drives my wife crazy - she will invariably choose the flavor with the longest name...  Good luck and enjoy!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

swedish K owners always rave about them so you're in good shape and thats a good choice.

thats just one gun ive happened to never owned or even shot.

but heard and read great things.

kinda like the sterling ....before i finally got one i doidnt appreciate what all the fuss was about...i mean it just looks like a glorified sten.

sterling is tons better than sten but also costs more.

 

true dat on the mp5 extractor spring...some mp5s crap them out a lot, others hardly ever...my mp5k eats them regularly to the degree thatr i bought a MAD bolt to install so i didnt have to mess with the spring replacements. my mp5s though rarely require spring replacements . 

and i also agree with leaving them dirty . i shoot most of my smgs wo cleaning until they fail ....unless im putting it back up in the safe and not expected to use it for a long time...then i'll clean it. i never run corrosive ammo either.

 

swedish k. ... you'll enjoy it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, rhouston8 said:

swedish K owners always rave about them so you're in good shape and thats a good choice.

thats just one gun ive happened to never owned or even shot.

but heard and read great things.

kinda like the sterling ....before i finally got one i doidnt appreciate what all the fuss was about...i mean it just looks like a glorified sten.

sterling is tons better than sten but also costs more.

 

true dat on the mp5 extractor spring...some mp5s crap them out a lot, others hardly ever...my mp5k eats them regularly to the degree thatr i bought a MAD bolt to install so i didnt have to mess with the spring replacements. my mp5s though rarely require spring replacements . 

and i also agree with leaving them dirty . i shoot most of my smgs wo cleaning until they fail ....unless im putting it back up in the safe and not expected to use it for a long time...then i'll clean it. i never run corrosive ammo either.

 

swedish k. ... you'll enjoy it.

I am looking forward to getting my S&W 76 stamp soon.  I am about 7 months in on the wait.  I know the S&W 76 was copied from the Swedish K.  Is there that much difference, or is it just that it is iconic.  I know my 76 has had all of the smith work done to it to make it reliable, so I am going to enjoy shooting. 

If I go the swedish k route, is it the same as a Sten (modern tube) with a parts kit, or are the OEM all the way.  

Thanks,

Chad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you can a good price on any of the Beretta smg, 38A ( a bit heavy and most expensive of the series), 38/42,38/42, I'd recommend it. Mags are e-a-s-y to load, they are basically a tractor dressed up as an smg, very comfortable to shoot and, who knows, parts kits might soon come in.

Okrana

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  SW76 was "copy" of Swedish K is looks (kind of) only.  Frank Iannamico has "the" book about the SW76, MK760 with a Swedish K section too.  If you are getting the SW76 do yourself a favor and buy / read Frank's book.  Very nicely done - as are all of the MG books he has authored. 

Rate of fire is different (SW76 much faster).  Ergonomics are different (I feel Swedish K is much better, depends on what you like).  Trigger on Swedish K is, oh, about 120% better than SW76.  Swedish K can take coffin mags, stick mags, Suomi drums (if slightly / easily modified).  

There are a few C&R Swedish K guns but they are exceedingly scarce and seldom make it to an open market sale (expect $$).  Most are "tube" guns.  Wilson is the most common tube mfg.  Pearl made some guns.  The Pearl guns are supposed to have been rolled into shape from flat metal (similar to how the original guns were formed).  

Get Frank's book and go to a shoot where YOU can try different types to see what feels "right" for qYOU.  Have fun along the way!  Also note that now you're getting a number of items in your collection and you may decide (as many have) to sell them to get a single, more versatile platform such as a HK sear or M16 variant.  The converse is that many competitions are won with modified Mac type guns.  Lots of options. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Bwana said:

  SW76 was "copy" of Swedish K is looks (kind of) only.  Frank Iannamico has "the" book about the SW76, MK760 with a Swedish K section too.  If you are getting the SW76 do yourself a favor and buy / read Frank's book.  Very nicely done - as are all of the MG books he has authored. 

Rate of fire is different (SW76 much faster).  Ergonomics are different (I feel Swedish K is much better, depends on what you like).  Trigger on Swedish K is, oh, about 120% better than SW76.  Swedish K can take coffin mags, stick mags, Suomi drums (if slightly / easily modified).  

There are a few C&R Swedish K guns but they are exceedingly scarce and seldom make it to an open market sale (expect $$).  Most are "tube" guns.  Wilson is the most common tube mfg.  Pearl made some guns.  The Pearl guns are supposed to have been rolled into shape from flat metal (similar to how the original guns were formed).  

Get Frank's book and go to a shoot where YOU can try different types to see what feels "right" for qYOU.  Have fun along the way!  Also note that now you're getting a number of items in your collection and you may decide (as many have) to sell them to get a single, more versatile platform such as a HK sear or M16 variant.  The converse is that many competitions are won with modified Mac type guns.  Lots of options. 

Thanks for the insight... My purchase of the S&W 76 included the book, so I should have it soon.  I purchased  a SP1 Colt Conversion a couple of weeks ago.  Actually ran across the Hahn insert and a bunch of mags yesterday on the parts forum that I bought.  Hope to see how that cones together 9-10 months from now,  Never say never, but I am probably going to stay away from the HK sears.  I tend to like the older subguns.  I spent the last 6-7 years collecting very nice Colt SAAs, so I am transitioning some of my collection into MGs.    Thanks again for your feedback, makes me want to look harder for a Swedish K.  I am sure I will pick up a Sten along the way.

Edited by Bwanalewis
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hahn work may need a bit of adjusting to get the right height, etc.

I picked up a Stern Defense for making it easier to swap it around. I'm not a fan of Glock magazines in ARs so I was thinking of trying endomag pmag inserts instead. I'm more of a Colt SMG mag person. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...