MP5K host pricing ? did the new K guns kill price

Heimyguy

was Looking to sell all German MP5K host done by RDTS with 80's new factory correct German 3 lug barrel. Updated German full auto Carrier group.  been shot. B&T folder. wondering how much they go for now and if its worth selling since the new release of the SP5K?   saw some for around 8k a while back and original sp89 going for 6k or more but just looking for a feel of the post sp5k waters. 

• 3 weeks later...

i havent seen a $8k mp5k actually sell for that in a long time if ever.

for whatever that is worth.

Im sure ruben has listed them at that...but prob not many other people actually interested in selling their mp5k within a reasonable timeframe.

The RDTS pedigree still carries some weight and the new guns still require some work to allow full auto fire unless you get one of the PTR made guns. I think yours will move in the 6K range if it is in very good or better condition. 

3 hours ago, Delta-10 said:

the new guns still require some work to allow full auto fire unless you get one of the PTR made guns.

Not in the case of the SP5k-PDW...unless you're talking about welding up the semi carrier to F/A carrier specs.  Even that is not necessary with an off the shelf F/A carrier that drops into the SP5k from RCM.  Yes, the receiver has a small "nib" at the rear of the receiver in the upper bolt carrier channel which requires a small "shave" of the top of the bolt-carrier tube...not big deal, as you either buy the off the shelf F/A carrier ready to go or weld up the original semi carrier (same was required for the SP89).

With the SP5k-PDW, you get a head to toe all German factory gun which hasn't been monkeyed with.  If an SP89 has a 3-lug barrel...in the vast majority of cases its replacement is not a German barrel and even if a German barrel...the gun has still undergone a serious operation to have that barrel replaced.  RDTS has a great rep, some other HK smiths not so much.  Personally, I'd still rather have a an all German, factory gun and take the SP5k-PDW.  MSRP is ~$2800...street price is another matter.  I consider anything under $4500 a decent deal for the SP5k-PDW and value an all German SP89 the same way.

20 hours ago, Waffen Und Bier said:

Try to find any of the new HK's at a reasonable price....then there's 922r issues. Also, pre 89 import ban stuff is always more collectable and pricier than new import stuff. Not sure if this is what you mean, but if it is.....there it is.

As it pertains to SP89s specifically...they're a "post-89" ban gun and 922r doesn't apply to handguns.

Just watched two of these at auction and the newer SP5K brought significantly more than the SP89.  I think the majority of the buyers see a new gun, in a nice case with 2 mags and see a lot more value in that than a used sp89.   I was surprised but after thinking about it it does make sense.  I don't know what states still have the ban/preban thing, but odds are they can't have stuff like this anyhow?  

I tend to look at it as which is a better sear host, but the reality is there are a miniscule number of "sear owners" and few that don't already have hosts so that market is also minor. 

As a result I'm now thinking the sp89 values have tumbled.

The three lug is fairly worthless, those in the know just buy an SD for a reason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnsonlmg41 said:

1 hour ago, johnsonlmg41 said:

I don't know what states still have the ban/preban thing, but odds are they can't have stuff like this anyhow?  

This is the real problem. 

HK will always rise in value,  especially the weapons that have been discontinued.