Buyer Feedback for Seller "RORY"

I've asked the website admin for help in leaving buyer feedback from the Full Auto forum. They suggested this section as a possible option.

In March 2021 I purchased an IMI Full Auto UZI from seller RORY and I have been extremely disappointed in the transaction. I will not buy from this seller again.

Facts:

1. I asked how the weapon runs? RORY answer, "Runs great".   

The weapon was test fired at my FFLs upon receipt and it jammed 3 times out of 50 rounds fired.

2. I asked the seller if the top cover was ratcheting? He responded that it was not. 

The weapon was received and I discovered that it had a ratcheting top cover. I had just purchased a ratcheting top cover a week before to install based on his description of the weapon. 

3. RORY suggested that I send payment overnight since the USPS mail often gets delayed. I sent payment overnight.

4. When I asked the seller to ship whithin the seven day period as outlined required in our bill of sale he sated that the funds didn't clear from (his)  PP to his bank until Monday. 

4. Seller RORY sent me an insurance and shipping estimate then said the shipping total was $255.50. This is shipping from his brother's (?) FFL in PA to Richmond, VA. He wrote,"Has to ship airmail since it's a pistol" "The next day shipping is about security of the firearm". He also said he has "bought or sold over a hundred class three items".    I suggested that he ship registered mail and I received no response.  

He stated "This is the cost for shipping. I'm fine to hold the gun until you send me the money". 

When my FFL received the weapon the box showed a label indicating that $61.65 was paid for shipping. It did appear to be shipped registered mail. In the end I paid $199 shipping. The seller said he would,"eat the extra costs".

In the end, the UZI was mailed April 2 and reached my dealer Apr 13.  Eleven days later.

5. Seller stated,"There was a period of about 5 years before I got a license that I had something to transfer at all times". He also mentioned in his ad about having "Posties". These statements led me to believe he had an FFL. He later stated,"Not mine. All my brothers".

6. The ad said 3 mags were included. When the weapon arrived it came with 1 magazine.

7. I've asked the seller for a partial refund on shipping. He has not responded.

In conclusion: I will not deal with this seller again.

Thank you.

• Like 2

Next time ago for photos of the firearm. 

Also have them send a video of running it. Though depending on the firearm some are picky with ammo. But in this care I would guess he lying based on things he said. 

It's always best when you call out these scammers. If he chooses to advertise here again, then

make sure you reply under his ad with a link to this feedback and perhaps he may consider honoring

your deal. Most importantly, a new sale will have the luxury of your ill fated experience and may kill his deal.

Thanks for posting.

Jim Corby

sidearmsams.com

• Like 1

Apparently 2 different sides of this discussion.

the other one started 24 days ago.

On the upside..You got an UZI.

Join UziTalk forum..

They are simple guns and everything you could ever want to know is there. 

Check out the Library.....and join in the discussion if you wish.

See ya there.

Edited by theduke

3 hours ago, Side Arm Sams said:

It's always best when you call out these scammers. If he chooses to advertise here again, then

make sure you reply under his ad with a link to this feedback and perhaps he may consider honoring

your deal. Most importantly, a new sale will have the luxury of your ill fated experience and may kill his deal.

Thanks for posting.

Jim Corby

sidearmsams.com

Even taking the OP at face value this is not a scam, rather a misunderstanding.

Rory has an excellent reputation and you can read his side of the story at the 1919a4 forum where he is well-known and respected.  I bought a relatively expensive MG via Rory on a handshake and would eagerly do it again. 

• Like 2

No scamming involved. The mags were omitted by mistake, and shipped a few days after he sent his address

Eforms cleared in two days and he spent a week bickering over shipping   

the firearm was shipped within 7 days after freight funds clearing. His position was that PayPal is my bank so that should be good enough  

usps registered promised deliver the following monday, but then took 11 days to arrive. You’re more than welcome to call usps and complain about their service. 

overnight shipping quote with insurance was $255. Buyer paid less. 

he was of the more difficult and needy buyers I’ve ever encountered. I understand that this is your first machine gun. This is not Amazon. 

my suggestion for it not running well, was to oil the gun and not to count on Remington ammo running well.  It’s garbage. I had no issues. 

Rory

• Like 2

I told him that all my ammo was either blazer brass or my own reloads. Thats all the 9mm that I’ve had for the last year, but don’t know what was used at the time because I had no issues. 

my guess, was that he didn’t oil the gun. He went to his ffl and fired a box of Remington (I think all rem ammo is junk). 

Machine gun people know that these guns all run better wet. It’s standard practice for some of us. 

With all sales, I say I’ll ship within 7 days. Most of us have lives outside of this hobby and things get in the way.  during normal times I travel a lot for work. In this case, my brother is the primary on the ffl and I had to coordinate with him since the Uzi was in his possession. It still shipped in those 7 days. But I ended up having him ship for me. 

I read this as an impatient 1st time newbie complaining about a veteran user/owner not doing all in his power to prevent 1st time buyer's snowflake from melting.  It appears pretty much all the complaints were answered.  Yes, snowflake, you need an extra top cover.  Yes, snowflake, unless the seller is a liar, you got the other mags before you made your post.  Yes, snowflake, if you run crap ammo, you'll get crap results.

The only issue I don't understand is the shipping.  Did the seller charge the buyer $200 for overnight shipping and then ship registered mail and derived a substantial discount on shipping that wasn't passed along?  If so, the seller needs to sack-up and refund the buyer the difference.

• Like 1

No, initially I told him I’d estimate shipping to be about $200. He went on for days about how that was too much. I offered to ship on his account. And then I went and did a real shopping quote. It was like $256ish. Don’t remember the exact. He then said he’d send me $199. He did that via PayPal late Friday night of that week. 

I prefer to send Mg overnight when possible. I ended up having someone else ship the gun. He said that there was some mixup so I think the shipping and the insurance were charged separately? But it shipped priority instead of overnight. he refused to pay what the overnight charges were to be. It was supposed to take 2 days and took almost two weeks. 

PayPal was for the shipping only. 

he sent a cashiers check for the gun, I think. 

I said I’d take personal check, cashiers check, or usps money orders. I prefer personal checks. I said to send that in some way that has tracking. Priority or overnight    Priority has been taking 1-2 weeks. If a cashiers check or money orders get lost in the mail, you are SOL for 6+ months. I had $8500 cashiers check disappear for half a year! Then magically just showed up. 

• 3 weeks later...

Don't blame you. I don't sell guns often, but when I do, it's ALWAYS overnight shipping. I just kinda always expect a serious buyer to overnight funds as well. Right now the Post Office service just sucks so bad. Wife's friend JUST got a Christmas card delivered last week. It was sent out early November. 

I'm a former U.S. Marine Corps Infantry officer and combat veteran. I have 8 NFA tax stamps including FA. Purchase funds were sent overnight.

I paid $199 for shipment of this piece just two states away. Shipping box indicated the seller paid $61.65.  "Rory" refused a refund of the difference. I have a problem with that.

Summary:

He said / she said situation.

• Either Rory is a "good as gold"  experienced MG seller or a cheap crook.
  • Either mhkaihei had been swindled or he is a whiner seeking revenge against Rory for various deficiencies he claimed to experience as a buyer from Rory.

Rory stated (which maybe people missed) was that someone else shipped it and there was a mixup/error at the time of paying for shipping. The insurance was charged separately from the shipping cost. 

Let's say that insurance was paid separately..

Regular shipping: max insurance for USPS is $5k.. which I I think it would just under $80 ($9.70 plus $1.45 per $100.00 or fraction thereof over $600 in declared value ).
Registered mail: Depends how much insurance is done.. at $15k insurance, it would be around $42 ($24.25 plus $1.75 per each $1,000.00 or fraction thereof). 

Edited by Ryo

Correct.  Whether the Uzi was shipped Registered mail or Priority Mail by a 3rd party as Rory stated, there's no way the cost was $200.  It would be really dumb to ship via Priority Mail with a $5k upper limit on coverage for a higher cost.  I've shipped Registered Mail many times for items insured for double the value of that Uzi and the total cost was in $75 neighborhood.  That's been a while and rates may have gone up a bit, but not $200.  Maybe the 3rd party kept the difference.  Regardless, I'd be a little miffed on the $$ and the principle were I the buyer.

33 minutes ago, jjrphs said:

Correct.  Whether the Uzi was shipped Registered mail or Priority Mail by a 3rd party as Rory stated, there's no way the cost was $200.  It would be really dumb to ship via Priority Mail with a $5k upper limit on coverage for a higher cost.  I've shipped Registered Mail many times for items insured for double the value of that Uzi and the total cost was in $75 neighborhood.  That's been a while and rates may have gone up a bit, but not $200.  Maybe the 3rd party kept the difference.  Regardless, I'd be a little miffed on the $$ and the principle were I the buyer.

Many dealers like myself have our own inland marine coverage and we pay that separately. So the cost of the actual shipping, doesn't necessarily mean the total cost to ship the item. We inure all packages for their respective value or our deductible which-ever is less. Our carrier will pay the difference. We pay for that coverage. Why would the buyer get that for free. It's part of the shipping cost, regardless of how it's paid. Third party insurance (FedEX,UPS,USPS) exceeds 1% of value alone, which is very expensive when you ship daily. And as a dealer, I don't ship via USPS unless it's Hawaii or Puerto Rico. Who the hell has time to stand in line at the PO everyday. Needless to say their tracking sucks big time. So bottom line it's not so cut & dry as you see. My 2-cents FWIW.

Jim

Didn't sound like it was the case here where he had a separate insurance company. It sounded like they used USPS insurance.

Sounds like the whole deal was messed up on both sides. Not enough clarification, and not proper follow through. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2021 at 8:49 AM, jjrphs said:

Correct.  Whether the Uzi was shipped Registered mail or Priority Mail by a 3rd party as Rory stated, there's no way the cost was $200.  It would be really dumb to ship via Priority Mail with a $5k upper limit on coverage for a higher cost.

I shipped my registered Uzi bolt and host gun for repair via USPS Overnight a while back. The total cost was $181.50 and I was only able to get $5k worth of insurance on it. I took a risk but the package arrived the next day. 

FWIW.

-KristopherH

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2021 at 5:59 PM, mhkaihei said:

I'm a former U.S. Marine Corps Infantry officer and combat veteran. I have 8 NFA tax stamps including FA. Purchase funds were sent overnight.

I paid $199 for shipment of this piece just two states away. Shipping box indicated the seller paid $61.65.  "Rory" refused a refund of the difference. I have a problem with that.

Just curious, but what, exactly, does your prior military service have to do with this transaction? Or is this sort of sad attempt at virtue signalling?

(If it matters, I’m a retired Assistant Professor of History with eleven NFA tax stamps. Also, my dad can beat up your dad.)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/8/2021 at 6:06 PM, Bill in VA said:

Just curious, but what, exactly, does your prior military service have to do with this transaction? Or is this sort of sad attempt at virtue signalling?

(If it matters, I’m a retired Assistant Professor of History with eleven NFA tax stamps. Also, my dad can beat up your dad.)

Well, hell, I can't be left out...

Technical Engineer. Seven stamps: six FA, one SBR. B|

Pretty sure my dear old dad can outwork ten other guys, including sonny boy. :D 

ETA: Shipping machine guns sucks, and it doesn't matter who does the shipping. It's an expensive pain in the ass. 

Edited by MontanaRenegade86

1 hour ago, MontanaRenegade86 said:

Shipping machine guns sucks, and it doesn't matter who does the shipping. It's an expensive pain in the ass. 

Usually costs me between $20-35 depending on the size/weight, smg or rifle. If it costs you more, you're doing it wrong. 

• Like 1

On 6/26/2021 at 11:30 AM, b_san said:

Usually costs me between $20-35 depending on the size/weight, smg or rifle. If it costs you more, you're doing it wrong. 

You’ve got to be kidding. Ship an MG for $20-35? Obviously something you’ve never done.  Overnite? Insurance to cover a $7-30K gun? Mebbe you tell the shipper you’re sending scrap metal. Fine. What happens when something happens to your shipment and you need to be made whole? 

On 6/26/2021 at 10:15 AM, MontanaRenegade86 said:

ETA: Shipping machine guns sucks, and it doesn't matter who does the shipping. It's an expensive pain in the ass. 

This is mostly true, but the most simple and aggravation free shipping is FedEx. You package it correctly and TELL THEM it’s a machinegun. They suggest the best way and a cheaper way. Best way is overnite and give them a REAL estimate of the value. It’s the real deal…fast, easy, it DOES get there by 11am/1pm the next day. Safe, secure delivery. Doesn’t get lost, doesn’t get damaged. 

But….it’s expensive. For me, peace of mind and a happy customer. I really prefer a local buyer and for most of my SOT, it was mainly local yahoos that bought everything. The few I’ve had to sell out of state was done first by USPS, but then they have gotten rather snarky and a pain in the whatzat. UPS didn’t want anything to do with non-dealer firearms. FedEx was a pure pleasure compared to the other 2.

17 hours ago, Shattered said:

You’ve got to be kidding. Ship an MG for $20-35? Obviously something you’ve never done.  Overnite? Insurance to cover a $7-30K gun? Mebbe you tell the shipper you’re sending scrap metal. Fine. What happens when something happens to your shipment and you need to be made whole? 

I don't use the shipper's insurance, I have business insurance that covers all of our shipments because I'm not a moron. I also get around a 60-70% discount on next day and 50% discount on 2 day in my FedEx account due to the amount of shipping we do through all of our companies. If you pay retail, and especially if you pay for the shipper's insurance, you're doing it wrong. It's very inexpensive to ship guns if you know what you're doing. 

Edited by b_san

3 minutes ago, Ryo said:

You have wonderful savings and insurance so yours is definitely cheaper.. but in the case of "Rory" it is not so cost is much more.

The insurance part is easy to replicate, every collector should have their firearms insured, make sure that your insurance coverage includes shipping coverage. The shipper's insurance is an expensive scam. 

On 5/11/2021 at 2:59 PM, mhkaihei said:

I don't like Officers.   Please keep the thread going.

• Like 2

I’ve got more stamps than I care to admit and I miss the old days where a lawyer could sell a HK MP5 twice, a jackass from PA would throw my Tommy gun in a box and mail it and the guy at the NFA gun store told me I couldn’t buy the M60 with consecutive numbers NIB because I already bought one from him. lol. The old days sucked.

Edited by MR 60
Cant spell