WTS: German MP40 fully transferable

JNI

This is an original German MP40 9mm that is fully transferable. NFA shows the manufacturer is Nat'l Krupp Reg. Kassen GmbH, Berlin, Germany.  Markings below model number is AYF 42.  In very nice condition. Serial number is 6534-a.  Firearm has been test fired and functioned perfectly. Original MP40 magazine. 

Asking: $ 21,900

Buyer pays shipping FexEx priority $150. 

Firearm(s) in this ad are possessed by, titled to, and will be shipped by John Norrell Inc.  These are not being brokered and are not third-party sales. Firearm in this ad will be transferred to a class III dealer on an ATF E-form 3.

John Norrell has been a licensed manufacturer and dealer (C-2/C-3) for 35 years and is currently an officer of the U.S. Federal Court appointed in the role as a Special Master administrator to liquidate NFA firearms released directly to us by ATF under court order. All NFA rules apply.

Acceptable payment will be in the form of either a cashier's check or a money order payable to JOHN NORRELL, INC.

Upon receipt by class 3 dealer, the buyer will have a 5 day inspection period.

This item is listed by, and the website and postings are monitored by E. A. Shelnutt of John Norrell, Inc.  When a party offers the full advertised amount, they are automatically the official buyer and any ongoing negotiations or conversations with other parties are no longer relevant.

Stock no. N-1188

DSC07766.JPG

DSC07767.JPG

DSC07768.JPG

DSC07772.JPG

DSC07774.JPG

634000727.jpg

634000701.jpg

634000635.jpg

634000600.jpg

634000583.jpg

634000547.jpg

634000522.jpg

634000474.jpg

634000451.jpg

Edited by JNI
UPDATE

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Though I am sure you know this, to help those who don't, the manufacturer of the MP40 is actually ERMA, hence the 'ayf' code. ERMA, Haenal and Steyr were the only makers of the MP38/40s. The manufacturer ID that you note as listed on the registration form, as best I can make out, is the Krupp Cash Register Co, of Kassen, Germany. They certainly did not make MP40s. 
Good example of the wide variety of misinformation passed along from incorrect mfg. ID put on original registrations of MGs. Without a doubt an original MP40 with that erroneous but vintage manufacturer's ID.

For those considering buying this gun, I suggest that it is far more helpful to correctly ID the actual manufacturer of the gun you are offering instead of the original registrant's farflung guess. FWIW

PLEASE NOTE THAT I HAVE ADDED A PHOTO OF THE DESCRIPTION SECTION FROM THE ORIGINAL TRANSFER. 

PER JOHN - There were three primary contractors for the MP-40 for the Waffenamt army armament. Erma, Steyr and Haenel.  There were also three subcontractors: Merz, National Krupp Registrierkassen and Steyr-Daimler. The subcontractors would mark their parts with a code and would ship their parts to the prime contractors for assembly. The piece identified with the “ayf” is just the Erma rear pistol cup that is a separate and easily removed part that is easily swapped out, and is not the receiver. The MP40 receiver in our ad has a number of code marks on the receiver with one of the most distinct being the Steyr Eagle over 623. (War trophies were called duffle bag guns as that is how GIs brought them back to the States. In Vietnam, GIs would ship firearm pieces one at a time to Momma and eventually there was a completed bring back in their bedroom in boxes at home when they got back to the States.)

The German field armies would swap out easily removed parts to try to keep as many of their weapons running as possible.  During 1968, NFA had a 30 day amnesty to legalize as many war trophies as possible.  There was a single page form you would fill out and go to the U.S. Post Office (some other gov. offices too) to file it to make your “bring back” weapon legal. In many instances you would take your machine gun into the post office to get help in filling out the form. Imagine a fellow standing at the counter with a post office worker trying to fill out a form while you both look for what may be the serial number.

I’ve owned a couple hundred amnesty registered firearms and it is fairly common to see several numbers on a machine gun receiver and know that someone had to pick one out for the registration form. Many times it would not be a number you would assume was the intended prime serial number. But whatever you picked for the form became the official and legal serial number for the firearm from that point on. Same thing on manufacturers. The owners did the best they could to determine who the manufacturer was only to see various parts of different origin but have to make a choice.  On many amnesty firearms the NFA paperwork for manufacturer just says “German”, “Korean”, etc.  Bear in mind there was no Internet for quick look up in 1968.

Back to the MP40. This particular MP40 is directly from the weapons archives from ATF inventory. ATF and technicians from the Firearms Technology Branch examined this MP40 and approved it to be among those that I liquidate for the Federal Court as court appointed special master. This MP40 is fully transferable, German and a good looking shooter registered with NFA as the manufacturer being National Krupp Registrierkassen, GmbH, Berlin, Germany.  

Descriptionsmall.jpg

Thanks. Good info above and clears up some confusion. The lower is an ERMA assembly/product and by the proofs it appears that the receiver is of Steyr manufacture. Apologies for assuming incorrectly that the receiver was also ERMA without following up. Unfortunate that the main assemblies are mismatched, but it adds to the mystery of it's history.
Again, it is interesting that the original registrant was savvy enough to list a parts sub-contractor as the manufacturer but did not know about the actual manufacturers of record. Must be a story there.
I enjoy these paperwork anomalies from the early days between 1934 the end of the '68 Amnesty and well into the reman era until 1986, and have seen many. I bought my first DEWAT in 1957 and when I could afford the transfer taxes shortly after college, bought transferables starting in 1970. Been at it ever since. Good luck with the sale. FWIW

53 minutes ago, BRMCII said:

Thanks. Good info above and clears up some confusion. The lower is an ERMA assembly/product and by the proofs it appears that the receiver is of Steyr manufacture. Apologies for assuming incorrectly that the receiver was also ERMA without following up. Unfortunate that the main assemblies are mismatched, but it adds to the mystery of it's history.
Again, it is interesting that the original registrant was savvy enough to list a parts sub-contractor as the manufacturer but did not know about the actual manufacturers of record. Must be a story there.
I enjoy these paperwork anomalies from the early days between 1934 the end of the '68 Amnesty and well into the reman era until 1986, and have seen many. I bought my first DEWAT in 1957 and when I could afford the transfer taxes shortly after college, bought transferables starting in 1970. Been at it ever since. Good luck with the sale. FWIW

We have an Amnesty registered Beretta 38/42 that was picked up in 1944. It is registered in the NFRTR as an MP40 and in 7mm. It is neither. As Bob has so graciously shared the type of information as above. The stories are endless...

This MP40 is a nice looking weapon. Someone will enjoy it. Good luck on the sale.

David