M60 Informational Video Library

Aaron in Mohnton Pa

I have been making these videos for some time now to try and help educate M60 owners on these guns. I wanted to put them in a post here should there be any information in any of these that can help any current / future M60 owners or current / future Sturmgewehr.com members.  

Aaron - Mohnton, Pa

Sales@BeltFeds.Com

- HOW TO REPAIR A LOCKED UP M60 (BOLT LOCKED IN CHAMBER)

- HOW TO ASSEMBLE THE M60 BOLT (HD)

- M60 FAILURE TO EJECT / FAILURE TO EXTRACT: HOW TO REPAIR

- HOW TO ASSEMBLE THE M60 MACHINE GUN

- HOW TO DISSASEMBLE THE M60 MACHINE GUN

- HOW TO ASSEMBLE THE M60E3

- HOW TO ASSEMBLE AN M60E4 MOD 0

- HOW TO ASSEMBLE THE M60E6

- HOW TO ASSEMBLE THE M60D

- HOW TO ASSEMBLE THE M60 FEED TRAY

-HOW TO ASSEMBLE THE M60 TRIGGER GROUP

- HOW TO ASSEMBLE / DISSASEMBLE THE M60 BOLT

- HOW TO INSTALL AND REMOVE THE M60 REAR SIGHT

- HOW TO ATTACH AMMO CHUTE TO THE M60

- M60 STELLITE LINER. A CLOSER LOOK

- M60 Spare Parts: What You Need

- HOW TO CLEAN THE M60 MACHINE GUN

-VARIOUS CLEANING TOOLS USED FOR THE M60

- TRIPOD FOR THE M60 MACHINE GUN: A CLOSER LOOK

- M60 BOLT / OPROD: CRITICAL WEAR COMPONENTS

- M60 DRIVE RODS AND SPRINGS: THE VARUIOUS TYPES AND THE DIFFERENCES.

- M60 TOP COVERS: VARIOUS TYPES AND THE DIFFERENCES

- H

- THE M60 TRUNION: A CLOSER LOOK

- M60 RAILS: A CLOSER LOOK

- M60 BARRELS: THE VARIOUS TYPES AND THE DIFFERENCES

-M60 GAS SYSTEMS: THE DIFFERENCES

- PEDESTAL MOUNT AND CRADLE FOR THE M60: A CLOSER LOOK

-HUEY HELICOPTER DOOR GUN MOUNT (SM-23 ARMAMENT SYSTEM: A CLOSER LOOK

- M60 PREDATOR PACK: HOW TO BUILD IT

- M60 AMMO CARRYING SYSTEMS: THE VARIOUS TYPES

Edited by Aaron in Mohnton Pa
  • Like 4

Aaron,

Your videos have been my primary source of M60 information since I bought my gun several years ago.  A lot of us M60 owners are scattered about the country and so its rare that I run into someone in person that can offer assistance with the gun, etc. And not all of us are former military or have significant prior hands on M60 knowledge at the time of our <very expensive> purchases. That's where your vids come in to save the day. You have been a huge asset to the machine gun community and esp. in the M60 world. You stepped into some old timers large shoes and quickly became THE M60 man in my opinion. I  pinged you numerous times w pesky M60 questions and you have always been gracious enough to help a brother out. Heck I have a predator pack bc of your early vids describing the various components required and all that jazz. 

I'd love to buy you a beer or a shoot a case of ammo alongside you one day dude. Hopefully that chance will present itself. You have an open invitation to join my crew on our OFASTS line spots as I've mentioned.

• Like 1

HH @rhouston8 ,

Dude thanks for the kind words man. I really really appreciate that. Wow.  Feedback is important so I’m glad I was able to help ya out man. 
   I will get to OFAST one of these days. Sooner then later. As soon as I can find the free time to travel. 
   I still have the gift you sent me framed up and hanging. Thank you again for that sir.

Aaron

EXUrYGQ.jpg

@Waffen,

I personally experienced a severe lock up as described. The first day I owned my M60 in fact. My usual process upon receiving a new MG is to test which ammo it likes. I shot a few rounds of various ammo thru it just fine...then I made the mistake of Monarch steel 308. On the 4th round it blew sh$t out the ejection port peppering my friends arm and hard locked the barrel into the trunnion.

Ultimately I had to get the bolt milled out (destroying it) thru the top slot to free it all up. The extractor was toast as expected.

I learned the hard way and this was just before Aaron put out his video on this issue. 

My M60 will never eat another steel cased round in its life!

• 1 year later...

Yep, great videos.

Parts shortages are always a matter of perspective.  Just picked up another NOS complete bolt for $100 off the net, then of course there's the box of used ones that will be at my estate sale in the future...likely for cheap.  I think a buddy has probably 40?  The good news is that new parts are still being made, so really M60 parts are easy to find vs. some of my 100+ year old guns that are difficult.  Find spares for a one of 200 gun production run in 1900 is a tough find, but does happen.

Happy to trade the box for an early 1900's Madsen magazine and magazine cutoff switch, stuff that is actually rare.....and I'm the only one looking.

20220508_185000[1].jpg

• 8 months later...

"How to Use the M60 Receiver Gauge" added to the post..... I know a lot of people that have these guages and very few if any actually know how to use them (of course they did not come with instructions).... So we made a video on how to do it. Link below.

Aaron - Mohnton, Pa

Aaron, great job making this video "How to Use the M60 Receiver Gauge" Truely enjoyed watching it. I have a NOS gauge as in your video complete with instructions and would be happy to make a copy for you or anyone else who may want a copy. Email me at slabcracker@cox.net and I'll send a copy over.

Rob

• Like 1

@johnsonlmg41 …. Cool …. None of the very many that have passed through here have had instructions in the box …. Including my personal one which is new old stock….. I’m not saying,  or did not mean to imply rather, that no instructions exist ….. or have ever existed …. 

AFAIK no tool or gauge ever had instructions with it because as I understand it, that would not be the process?  You would take the gun in at depot level, likely because it was a mess, consult the manual for tear down/inspection and retrieve the tools and gauges that are set out in the manual and utilize them per the instructions in the manual as you went along in the process.    As we know receiver stretch would be one of the last things potentially checked as outlined in the manual.  Most every one of these gauges I've seen is NOS.   I doubt they ever got that far along in the manual before they just scrapped the guns due to many other issues.   Once, I saw a pallet of 60's stacked in layers that looked fine (other than the wear and tear) and was destined for the scrap yard.  They were complete and intact....and I'm sure never gauged for anything.....other than weight for scrap value?  Then we went into the stockroom where all the NOS spare parts were.....all that I'm sure got scrapped as well. 

With 100K service life I don't think receiver stretch was actually a real thing, just some engineers wet dream that it could happen.  The trunion would fail long before the receiver would stretch from what I've seen, thus making that gauge particularly worthless.

@johnsonlmg41 good points.... I think often times there was play / wobble / rearward shift in the back halves... which at that point gauging it is pointless as you suggested..... I also am skeptical about the receiver stretching... I can see trunion rivets weaking and the back end shifting (which I have personally observed on hammered guns), but the metal stretching seems like it would take a lot..... I have multiple USGI take off trunions here that have crude depot level welding reinforcment done on them... Likely from the holes that the trunion rivets go through also egging out... 

It is still a nice tool to have. Gives piece of mind to guys with transferable guns. Especially ones made with home made rails and all kinds of other sketchy parts. 

This is the only gauge I had come through here that had anything in it.... It had an inspection card dated August 2nd 1967.... 

image.thumb.jpeg.55c4adb766096bb2de7b6b82c9ae7a04.jpeg

QXveCUa.jpg

• 1 month later...