ATF harassment

Hiller

I have people say to me often "I'd never own a full auto machine gun, the atf is always coming to your house and checking up on you and searching your house and blah,blah, blah....."

I can't imagine this to be true as I've never heard of full auto owner's complaining nor have I experienced   atf harassment but thought I'd ask other full auto owners.

Thoughts??

R/s, Hiller................

way back in the late 70’s .... I was class 3 for three Years .... yearly visited by Houston ATF agents ....

dropped my class 3 in 1979 .... FFL kept till 1988 ..... after dropping my class 3 ..... they never visited again.

they were always nice during each visit .... and called ahead.

I always heard from a FFL 07 that when he was a FFL 01, they maybe stopped by once a year.  Then he switched to a FFL 07 and he got yearly visits.

I haven't had a visit yet.. but was suppose to get one just as the COVID 19 hit.. so it got cancelled.  She was very pleasant to talk to over the phone.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/8/2020 at 9:53 AM, Hiller said:

I have people say to me often "I'd never own a full auto machine gun, the atf is always coming to your house and checking up on you and searching your house and blah,blah, blah....."

I can't imagine this to be true as I've never heard of full auto owner's complaining nor have I experienced   atf harassment but thought I'd ask other full auto owners.

Thoughts??

R/s, Hiller................

I've never been asked or visited by any law enforcement about my NFA.

Generally, statements like those come from people who are totally clueless about ACTUALLY OWNING NFA ITEMS and have no real interest in the facts.

I've been asked about my yearly $500 tax and other nonsense too.  "Enlightening" idiots like that is generally pointless in my experience.  Wider visibility of suppressor ownership is helping rid the world of some of this idiotic nonsense.

• Like 1

That's one of the oldest and most common misconceptions about NFA ownership out there and it just won't go away.  While it's true that BATF can drop in and inspect the inventory of a licensed dealer or manufacturer of NFA items any time they want, that absolutely does not pertain to private citizens who own them and it never has. 

On 9/25/2020 at 6:26 AM, DINK said:

That's one of the oldest and most common misconceptions about NFA ownership out there and it just won't go away.  While it's true that BATF can drop in and inspect the inventory of a licensed dealer or manufacturer of NFA items any time they want, that absolutely does not pertain to private citizens who own them and it never has. 

ATF can only do a no knock inspection on an FFL once a year. Not anytime they want. 

• 2 weeks later...

I e been harassed due to my ex wife trying to get me in trouble. ATF ended up raising my house and taking all my HK and M16 Sears. The lead agent and I actually got along great after he realized what was going on, he even gave me my new FFL after that. My dealings with ATF (other than that one time) have always been good. I’ve been audited 2 times over the last 10 years. One was random and the other was a change in address. If you’re legit and don’t do shady crap, ATF leaves you alone. It’s that simple.