WTB: ORIGINAL Portuguese AR10 Parts

lavgrunt

I recall you (the OP) have a Portuguese AR10 and would like to upgrade the upper half. Many of these guns were kept in shooting condition by having the 4 piece handguard system replaced by a simple 1 piece plastic or wood handguard. It is nearly impossible to restore such a rifle to its original stage, since the heat shield portion of the handguard can not be found. Many have tried to reproduce the heat shields but have not succeeded.

This morning an original heat shield set was listed on GB.

Edited by HHollow

Have you see the aluminum HG,PG and buttsocks that came in decades ago, in very few numbers, when the AR10 parts kits were brought in to assemble intosemiauots?

Allegedly they were Portuguese made, since the fiberglass parts did not fare well in their colonial wars in Africa.

Okrana

On 8/29/2020 at 6:07 AM, HHollow said:

I recall you (the OP) have a Portuguese AR10 and would like to upgrade the upper half. Many of these guns were kept in shooting condition by having the 4 piece handguard system replaced by a simple 1 piece plastic or wood handguard. It is nearly impossible to restore such a rifle to its original stage, since the heat shield portion of the handguard can not be found. Many have tried to reproduce the heat shields but have not succeeded.

This morning an original heat shield set was listed on GB.

That is correct.  Portuguese AR10.  The furniture on my rifle is actually pretty nice.  The barrel needs some work.  Still serviceable, but has seen use.

On 8/29/2020 at 1:37 PM, okrana said:

Have you see the aluminum HG,PG and buttsocks that came in decades ago, in very few numbers, when the AR10 parts kits were brought in to assemble intosemiauots?

Allegedly they were Portuguese made, since the fiberglass parts did not fare well in their colonial wars in Africa.

Okrana

I have never seen all aluminum furniture parts.  Wood and fiberglass only.  I can only imagine what that would go for!!  $$$$$

Aluminum pistol grips are fairly easy to find and some still have paint and debris left on them from Africa. I have seen many and they were produced in such a way that the stippling is identical.

Pair-Al-Grips.jpg

The aluminum handguards I have seen share a common design and I would like to believe they were made while the rifles were in service in Africa.

DSCN0032.jpg

Several varieties of aluminum buttstocks exist. The one below is a very heavy two-piece model that had never been assembled. I have also see a light weight one-piece hollow model that I believe was made in the USA in the 1980s.

Outside-Small.jpg

The original Portuguese buttstocks were of molded polycarbonate and subject to fracture. Those buttstocks also do not age well and stress cracking would often occur even on well stored or unfired guns. The fiber composite buttstocks on many Portuguese AR10s were replacement parts made by the Portuguese military.

Edited by HHollow

• 3 weeks later...