AR Semi-auto BCG Weld-up?

MGTedFL

Greetings, could you guys please point me to someone who can weld-up semi-auto AR-15 syle BCG to FA.  With standard M16 carriers this would no be an issue, as FA BCG’s are plentiful, however...I want to weld up several Ares (FightLite) Shrike/MCR BCG’s to work with a RDIAS.  Gotta be cheaper than buying a FA BCG from Ares.  Any recommendation appreciated.  Also, is anyone out there currently milling lowers to low-shelf RDIAS configuration like I used to get from M60 Joe.  Thanks, Ted

TED, I find it hard to swallow that you would believe it is less money to buy a semi carrier, have someone weld it and it would be less than the real deal??? OR that you would even consider using it with anything of value.  YES we do use many welded pieces and parts at times. but for me it would only happen if the needed part was so rare repair is the ONLY OPTION !

I am in the exact same situation as you

I need a MCR FA carrier but have the semi auto carrier. 

I figured a way to do it but I don’t have a mill to do the work nor the welder. It is such a easy task too.

I created on solidworks the type of thing you need.. it could be simplified to reduce cost of machining by 3rd party. 

Mike, he is looking for the weld job because the cost of a complete BCG is over $1k

Mike & Ryo,
I get your points, but Ares charges $700+ just for the Carrier, less bolt, and feed actuator roller. Also, AFAIK, they have discontinued producing the FA carrier for the non-belt fed MCR which I like as a suppressor host due to the adjustable barrel Gas system. Crazy that I can get a NOS bolt for my pig for less than a Shrike bolt. 

I guess that I was under the mistaken impression that this was fairly common in the past and not excessively difficult or expensive. Guess I bite the bullet and BOAT (break out another thousand) for the Ares part.....

Thanks for your input....tremendously appreciated. Do you know anyone willing to do the work that I could get a job cost from. I have four SA bolts that need to be modified.

P.S.  Love my Hillary pmags you sold me at the Creek last year....

Take care, Ted

This is something that I came up with in Solidworks..  A more simplified version could be made and welded. My version just has the full length to add some weight and make sturdy.  If you just take the front part.. that's all you really need to trip the sear.  I just came up with this one with dimensions for my MCR SA carrier. You can have a copy of the work if you want..
I think I had contacted eMachines for a quote.. they said $28.77 each.. but setup cost would be $ 241.96.. grand total $ 270.73  which is more than half the cost of buying a new carrier.  Tempted to build it by had.. tons of filing and grinding since I don't have the mill.  Would be ugly but it would work.  Note that this idea came from a Colt SP1 I bought.,.. they welded a part in to just trip the sear.  Worked great.

Now that I'm thinking about it.. wondering about just tig welding material on to the carrier..  then just need to file and clean up the work. Ugly.. but it would work.

I7a7B9X.jpg

Edited by Ryo

Oh this place had an interesting idea but it wouldn't work on my MCR carrier due to hole diameters are different.. though i was considering building something similar.  Easier design, but my worry was making it retain in place since it had more of an opening which may cause it to be hammer at an angle. I had contacted them about it.. they could do a custom job, but I was a bit wary about sending a $1k BCG to them which I was pretty sure it would fail without welding.  Measurement of the inner diameter was 0.504" but the opening along the length was 0.492".. hence easy to slip out unless I design a wedge screw of some sort.. my plan B build.  Any case possibly they can do it for you if you want.

https://www.ruger1022receiver.com/Other Items Page 12.htm

Edited by Ryo