Somebody school me on the PS90

R.L.

Don't ask me why, but this is one I don't have , know nothing about, and am thinking about taking the plunge to buy one. Any help with the pluses and minuses of this weapon system, ammo operating idiosyncrasies etc.would be appreciated. 

I'm seeing a lot of upgrade parts going from plastic to AL...that's a little unsettling for a weapon almost $2K.

R.L.

BOB, unless you want to have one "just because" not much use or sense. ATF ammo restrictions took all if any actually existed benefits the caliber in its original format offered.  not half the gun a M-4 carbine is and all that spl bull shit with plastic parts to position the round? besides that you cant carry one unless your TEE has a pony with a rider on it and a rolex on your wrist. in LA and san diego county, its a class 4 felony to transport one unless in a MERCEDES OR LEXUS V/8 2 door coupe less than 2 years old

• Like 1

R.L

I have a 1st gen PS90 SBR (by  Mark McWillis @TROS) and have had zero issues. The 50 rnd mags are awesome!

I also have the FN Five-Seven pistol with 20 & 30 rnd mags, what a cool set up, super fun to shoot and the ammo never runs out, sorta, LOL.

Otherwise NO issues with either weapon. 

• Like 2

I have one my son just had to have it. My personal opinion is it is like trying to hold a brick and shoot it. But my son loves it!

I have an approved E-form 1 to SBR it I guess at some point Ill send it to TSC and get him to chop the barrel :)

Edited by tobrooks
Add

HEY GUYS, I AGREE WITH MOST THE ABOVE, both the pistol and carbine are unique  and the PS-90 odd enough looking and back in the day when I had to have one of everything would have been there. few hand guns can come close to that FN GEM. I bought one of the first pistols to land and 2000 rounds of the now banned ammo. when I learned what the ammo was selling for I let the entire package go.  a little tidbit for the memory file if you would, the DAUGHTER of the OWNER of one of the best gunshops in AZ was sitting on the side of her bed. her boyfriend had a "accidental discharge" while attempting to unload her carry gun, which happened to be a FN-5 -7  they both were in shock for quite a while and even expressed how lucky they both were no one was hurt. ONLY when the blood reached the edge of her under wear did they discover she was struck dead center between those gorgeous orbs and still she felt nothing! when she found the source, she fainted.  she was kept in the hospital close to 40 hours and released. she showed me the wound 2 days later and the bullet went perfectly straight and out her back making the same size exit hole it was found behind the head board of the bed laying on the carpet still perfectly shaped. I don't know the weight but a FMJ . they were amazed and said was a long time b-4 the hit registered or enough blood flowed to notice it. I am sure a head shot would have vaporized her skull completely, but one cant help but notice the complete lack of shock at that speed. 

I've had a PS-90 since they first hit the country. Great little gun. I don't care if I have AP ammo for it. I figure if I ever actually have to use it for "defense", I'll just pump three or four rounds into the target. Or just shoot till the threat is eliminated. I rather enjoy the top magazine arrangement, and have never had a failure with factory ammo. I've tried to handload for it, but it seems to be VERY picky about type of powder, and EXACT powder charge. But overall, I really enjoy taking it out and shooting it. No recoil to speak of, so very fast to shoot. Feels natural to me, as I kind of wrap around the gun. Just wish it had a better trigger.

I would say that someone center punched at point blank with a 5.7 is pretty lucky to survive. I had a friend back in the mid 80's that bought a brand new Colt Lawman 357. That day, we sat down and loaded a box of 357 mag, with a casefull of H-110 and a Speer 125 on top. Later that week, he's up at the University, sitting in his '67 Camaro, and figures he's going to dork around with his new revolver. Flicks the cylinder open, dumps the cartridges into his hand, and drops them on the passenger seat. Flicks the cylinder closed, and starts dry firing the gun....Click....Click....BOOM!!!!...(didn't check to see that all 6 came out. Not smart).He flicks the Colt onto the passenger seat, shakes his head to re-arrange all the disturbed molecules inside from torching off a 357 inside a closed car, and starts looking for the hole in the floorboard. As he is looking, he notices a wisp of smoke coming off the top of his left leg....And notices he's got a new hole in his Levis. 4 holes, to be exact. He had his leg pulled back when it went off, so in the top, out the bottom, then in the back of the calf, then out the front, at the left side. He proceeds to get out of the car, enter the admin building, trailing blood as it's running down his leg, climbs three flight of stairs before he finds anyone there on a Saturday, and asks them to call an ambulance, because he just shot himself in the leg. No hits to the bones, or major nerves or major blood vessels. Lucky. 4 holes with one bullet. Didn't even know he'd shot himself for about 15 seconds or so, till he noticed smoke coming off his leg.

The PS90 and by extension the P90 are neat contraptions. Had a post sample P90 for a half dozen years and it was my favorite machine gun in the shop. Darn thing never had any reliability issues and was super easy to shoot. Only issue which was warrantied by FN was a busted stock due to the extra force from running suppressed. The gun never stopped running during that time just one of the pins holding the two sides of the stock together was obviously broken . If running a can on one I would highly recommend updating to a heavier recoil spring. Light weight, reliable, high capacity, accurate and easy to shoot; what's not to love. The 5.7 is by no stretch a rifle round but for it's design goal (lots of rounds on a close target accurately and fast, AP if needed) absolutely a winner. Love the 5.7 round and in the pistol it is another neat package.

• 9 months later...

I like the PS90.  I have one which is (lawfully) converted to an SBR. I could kick myself for selling one of my FN Fives (but had to as part of the price of a nasty divorce).  I am almost positive it was Green - although now people tell me that color didn't exist).  I would gladly buy another Gen 1 or Gen 2 PS90 (at a reasonable price) from anyone that does not like the look or believes its not enough to accomplish a given task.