Tribute to a master..Tim Bixler/SCRC

R.L.

While talking about my Dead Air suppressors, another master craftsman and a very humble man I came to know, came to mind.Tim Bixler of SCRC in Texas. Back in 2011 I was was on one of my flavor of the month C-3 missions to find a suppressor for my Steyr P-IV. After much research and direction from others I was able to connect with Tim Bixler. He was not easy to get in contact with, but someone from Snipers Hide was kind enough to pass on Tim's personal phone #. Some of you may know Tim, some may not, but Tim has been in this crazy C3 world for a long time, manufacturing quality suppressors. 

Those that own examples of his work, know the quality of his work. Just before Kent Lamont passed, I was able to buy the last Mk 4 .30 cal dedicated suppressor he had in stock for my Steyr P-IV. It's an over the barrel, sealed unit that looks no different that most other rifle suppressors. Once installed on the Steyr, then the magic happens.

This Mk 4 unit is one of the quietest suppressors I own. With hand loads using trail boss and 220 gr projo's the gun truly becomes "hollywood quiet" You can actually hear the firing pin drop when you pull the trigger. It's just an amazing piece of kit. The ONLY thing that would improve this can is making it with a threaded end cap so you can remove the baffle stack to improve cleaning. After I posted my review on snipers hide, the emails were overwhelming, lots of folks wanted Tims contact info so they could buy this "magic" can too. One thing Tim asked after the last conversation was to NOT give out his contact info. Tim is a very private person. I think he may even have become a little embarrassed for all the praise online after my review. I told him he had a following and was famous. He said to me sounding pretty pissed, at 72 I don't want to be famous!!! So no more reviews or divulging contact info. I gave my word, which to this day I have kept. I respect his wishes.

My friends were bugging me to contact Tim to make one last run of Mk 4's. I had about 6 people that wanted one. I called Tim to ask about one last run of Mk-4's and he informed me he was retiring, and had a back operation in the near future....but check back with him in 2-3 months. I was a little disappointed, but it sounded like he might , so I waited 3 months and called back.

He agreed to one last run, if I could assure him all could be sold. I assured him and he started the last run of Mk4's which now became Mk4D's with a removable end cap and baffle stack! After doing the Form 4 dance, 1 year later I had my new Mk-4D. Improving on perfection is hard, this can was the be all to end all for me!

I will treasure these suppressors until I pass on. But most of all what I will treasure is the personal kindness and level of quality and commitment Tim Bixler was known for in the products he manufactured. 

The man is a C-3 treasure, and so damn humble, it's just something you just don't see much anymore.

I lost track of ol' "Bix" after the last run of Mk-4D's. I've emailed him but not received a reply. If anyone out there knows Tim and knows how he's doing, I'd really appreciate an update.

Tim Bixler, master craftsman, inventor, tinkerer, one of the last good guys in this industry.

Thank you again Tim.

R.L.

Edited by R.L.

I would see Tim at the Houston Gun Collector Shows .... he either had a table or was sitting with a table holder .

super nice and modest guy ..... IIRC back in the early 80's he was making HK 90 series extended safety levers..... excellent quality..... and since I was selling HK products at the time ..... sold quite a few .

hope he is doing ok ......

Buddy

I do miss those days too brother. I have the one SOF issue where he is standing, camo boonie hat on firing a suppressed sten , I believe. I forgot to mention in my post what a true gentleman Tim is.

I really hope he's doing ok. He was 72 in 2011, making him around 80 today. There's also a youtube video of him with a quad ak gatling gun he made.

R.L.

Edited by R.L.

Tim unfortunately passed away on Tuesday, October 23, 2018.  It was posted over on subguns and maybe even here.

post link

He was a great machinist and I still own some of his cans. I did have one of the original run of folding SMGs he put together but unfortunately I sold it.

Edited by Mongo