The new board format has made it easier to shout out scammers

philasteen

The new site is much easier for me to read.

Somebody has been going around trying to sell guns they do not own and using my name for it. When asking for pics they will send a link to my gunbroker account. I had a few calls a few months ago for a guy trying to sell super cheap Colt M16's ad HK sears and using my name, but i dont even have those in my inventory. The most recent one is a guy claiming to sell a West Hurley thompson, and claiming he is me.

Scammers frequently steal GunBroker Identities in order to fool others into thinking they are legit. I always ask for references from other individuals on Sturm or another reputable site. Regardless, they are going to have to send proof of possession with clear images of my email on or under the item. If a Title II gun, they will also need to provide the current transfer info that I validate with NFA Branch. Finally, I speak with them on the phone because the Nigerian, Fuck-Tards have Horrible accents with Awful VOIP phone connections and are barely functional in English. And they have, absolutely, No idea what they are supposedly selling and No clue as to the transfer process. I never educate them, just ask questions and evaluate their basic knowledge, or lack thereof, and then cancel the deal if they fail any aspect or anything appears suspicious.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, johnsonlmg41 said:

How are you validating registration with NFA branch as a disinterested third party?   I was not aware they would disclose that info to random callers over the phone?   How would you go about that?  TIA

They won't disclose any details to a third party due to Tax privacy statutes... However, you must inform them that you are a potential Buyer needing to verify that the purported Seller is actually Legitimate. You then, slowly, read to them Everything you have on the Supposed current Transfer form and ask them whether or not it Matches. Without giving you any details, they Will tell you if Anything is Bogus (i.e. does Not match what they have on file) according to the last transfer in the NFRTR. That is the way in which you are able to Validate without violation of any privacy laws or regulations. They divulge, Only, whether the information you have Matches or Not.

8 hours ago, Precision Technology said:

They won't disclose any details to a third party due to Tax privacy statutes... However, you must inform them that you are a potential Buyer needing to verify that the purported Seller is actually Legitimate. You then, slowly, read to them Everything you have on the Supposed current Transfer form and ask them whether or not it Matches. Without giving you any details, they Will tell you if Anything is Bogus (i.e. does Not match what they have on file) according to the last transfer in the NFRTR. That is the way in which you are able to Validate without violation of any privacy laws or regulations. They divulge, Only, whether the information you have Matches or Not.

Thank you, I have been wondering also how this process works.  I think this little bit of information could go a long way in preventing bogus deals.

5 hours ago, Centrifugal Arms said:

Thank you, I have been wondering also how this process works.  I think this little bit of information could go a long way in preventing bogus deals.

No problem. We all have to look out for each other. The Best people in the Free World buy and sell on Sturm. I Hate Scammers that steal from good, honest people. I Wish they had to eat a large brick for every penny they've stolen. Until then, we must keep an eye out for them and alert everyone whenever we discover anything suspicious.

• Like 1