USPS Postal Money Order verification system

Tall Pine

Hello all. In case you weren't aware, there is a number you can call to verify USPS Money Orders. It is fast and easy, and allows you to ship items same day if you want (Buyers love it). The number is 1-866-459-7822. It is all automated. Just type in a few key numbers off the MO and it verifies if it is a good one or not. See this link for more info:  https://www.usps.com/shop/money-orders.htm

However, as Don noted in his post last year (link below), this verification system has been experiencing issues for about a year now. For me and some others, it is not working for money orders exactly equal to $1,000. Anything under $1k and it will verify as it should; equal to $1k and it just says to call back as they are experiencing technical difficulties. So to avoid this you may want to request Buyers only send denominations less than $1k. Here is Don's post in another forum: http://www.sturmgewehr.com/forums/index.php?/topic/10755-usps-money-order-verification-system-not-working/

Hope this helps somebody.
Tall

• 3 weeks later...

Beware of bogus postal money orders as well.

I received 4 US Postal Money Orders in the mail last year that are exact copies, even with the silver etched (thing a "ma giggy") on the money order. I will post photo's of them when I can dig them out of the file. These are exact copies, it's very hard to tell. I had a suspicion & my buddy works at the PO, he authenticated they were bogus.

Yep, fakes are out there. As suggested if you use the 1-800 verification system described above, it will alert you as well.

The verification system is great as it takes the burden off of a visual inspection. The scammers are getting too damn good at making real looking fakes.