WTK: Opinions on transferable M2 carbines.

J50shootr

Hello all, I am interested in purchasing an registered M2 cabine. I would like to field everyone's opinion on what the best option would be. The way I understand it is that there are 3 different options. An original C&R registered M2 receiver, an M1 that was converted to an M2, and registered conversion kits with different components depending on manufacturer, being the registered machine gun. I am looking for a shooter and not so much a collectors item. A WW2 M2 would be cool, but I would be reluctant to shoot it much. The registered M1/M2 receiver is a shooter but will it appreciate in value comparably. The conversion kit seems to be a good option as it can be moved to different hosts and may be less susceptible to wear. They seem to be bringing the most money as of lately. Is there a preferable manufacturer,or a kit with the best registered component? What are everyone's thoughts and or advice? Thank you.

• Like 1

THE M-1 M-2 started it all for me for just plain ol go out and shoot as much as you can.  its not a bad choice as parts are still plentiful and easy to find. In my opinion a "shooter" is best accomplished with a registered M-2 kit. one can gather a couple dif hosts and not beat just one to death, which will require a good smith to rebuild. plenty of reasonably priced "host's" are available. lately there has been some kits offered at unrealistic prices but a lower level can still be found if you keep after it. make sure you only use the later round bolts to avoid the inevitable flat bolt extractor crack. Both the reg'td receiver and conversion allow for support parts as backup for repairs and loose originals are again out there very reasonable. under no condition respond to any complete kits that are not papered for backup. its considered NFA when complete, make sure something is missing to avoid any problems. also remember any receiver stamped M-2 EVEN overstamps are machineguns by themselves many original guns were overstamped by govt armorers and then auto parts later removed. as far as ATF is concerned a reg'td kit in a M-2 marked gun is  2 machine guns if the kit is in another host so avoid that completely. that's my condensed 3 cents !   ENJOY MIKE

19 hours ago, J50shootr said:

I am looking for a shooter and not so much a collectors item. A WW2 M2 would be cool, but I would be reluctant to shoot it much. The registered M1/M2 receiver is a shooter but will it appreciate in value comparably. The conversion kit seems to be a good option as it can be moved to different hosts and may be less susceptible to wear. They seem to be bringing the most money as of lately. Is there a preferable manufacturer,or a kit with the best registered component?

The M2 is a great little auto carbine.

I have two of them, a Rock Island Armory mid-war Inland (registered receiver) and a Norrell registered kit installed in a late war Inland.

The registered kit is an excellent choice for a shooter. The most commonly registered part of an M2 kit is the disconnector lever, which seems to be the part that the ATF preferred to see registered. Other parts of the kit that were registered were disconnector blocks and selector switches, although they appear to be less common than the levers. Some manufacturers registered trigger housings and slides.

Regardless of which part of the kit is registered, I would suggest that you inspect it if at all possible. Some of the aftermarket parts are garbage from what I have read, especially the disconnector levers. As long as the registered component is USGI, you should be okay. 

If you want something a little cheaper, a registered receiver may be the way to go. It is typically more fragile than a kit but mine has been great since day one. I carefully inspect it after each outing and see no discernible wear or reason for concern after shooting many rounds through it.

Good luck with your purchase. The M2 Carbine, registered receiver or kit, is a great machine gun for the price.

Edited by MontanaRenegade86

Gentlemen, Thank you for your advice. It is much appreciated. I will keep my eye open for a conversion kit. The prices seem to be moving up as of lately. The days of the affordable FA guns are escaping us. I believe that the coming bump fire stock / Binary trigger ban with put more upward pressure on MG prices. The cheap alternatives are going the way of the Dodo. I could be wrong....

Edited by J50shootr

Sometimes you just have to be in the right place at the right time. An old customer called me about 4 years ago. During the conversation he said he was quitting his SOT and selling all his C3 stuff. My question, of course, was "whatcha got?" One of the items was a Broadhead Armory registered M-2 carbine kit in a host gun. "How much?",I asked... For you? 2,900.00 he says....I told him, "I'll be there tomorrow morning with the money, we can do the forms and get it all sent out." It's in my safe now, and runs great. As they say, timing is everything...

• 1 month later...
On 4/26/2018 at 0:06 PM, Woody131 said:

Someone just posted a Plainfield M2 transferable in the classifieds for $10k. Thats the cheapest m2 anything I’ve seen. I don’t know where they fall as far as quality but all of the Plainfield carbines non MG that I’ve had ran great. 

And it sold pretty quick. 

At the prices M2's are going for as of late, I'm almost tempted to sell one of mine. 

• 2 months later...

Just noticed your Post. Sorry I am late to the party, but if you have already bought a M2 maybe this will be helpful for someone buying their first full auto. I'm not going to discuss pricing since the only transferable I bought was quite a while back. I never really shot it because it looked unissued! If you haven't already purchased one:

I have had a number of Inland's (both pre and post sample) guns since. As for my experience shooting M2's in full auto, I have found them to be consistently unreliable! Usually after the second or third mag dump I get a failure to feed. I use only new, clean ball ammo and I've tried various brands. Maybe I have just gotten problem guns, but I have had several friends say that  they are not the most reliable in Full Auto, especially the commercial guns. I had another manufacturer tell me that the blow back design and the long case of the .30 Carbine round are an issue. In semi they are great but a high R.O.F. does not work good with the design.

Just wanted to share my experience for what it is worth. I figure I have been playing around with this stuff long enough to have some useful experience!