Pending FBI Background Check

CircularSquare88

Fellas,

Please chime in if your currently going through what I’m going through. I submitted a FORM 4 for an AAC Ti-Rant .45 on 12/26/2016. Check was cashed on 02-18-2017 and am still “pending fbi background check” today. The representative for ATF said that the fbi is backlogged. Has anyone received any recent approvals prior to being told the backlog BS? If so, when was your forms submitted? This is crazy!

Unfortunately, it does happen occasionally, I also have a customer that has 3 F4s pending 14 months or so now.  Yet I'm averaging 6-7 months on the vast majority of other transfers.  In another case, we sent out two F4s for the same customer, one showed up approved in 7 months the other is still pending a year later.  Who knows, you can call and ask to speak to your examiner, leave a message and they may call you back to discuss.  Other than that, not much else you can do but wait. 

thanks for the replies gentlemen. I don’t understand, I have multiple NFA toys (2 MG’s, SBR, suppressors, and an m203 and this is the first time this has happened to me. Is the FBI having to manually comb through our files or what? Any suggestions? I’m trying to forget about my submission, but it reminds me of the first I lost my virginity...you can’t really put it behind you!! 

I have several "pending" form 4 transfers .many are past 12 months, while several have cleared that were submitted after those in less than 5 months. from my experience its the examiner that sets the pace, and the FBI backlog is just an easy pass of the buck. at one time all the activity of ALL the examiners was posted in one of the forums. "BRIAN" may have completed 70+ while "Chaneswa" managed 20 or so during the same time period. hey theys just folks and you have all been to the Vehicle registration office and watched who actually did all the work while others clicked their nails and rolled their eyes at each other. its sad but a true fact that with all the hiring guidelines as the are, once that 3 axe handle cheek gets a chair and keyboard , producing is no longer of any importance and they don't answer to anybody that's watching.  I do know that they started tracing every registration back to its original first form to confirm info and status before approval and that cant be helping things move at any decent rate.  I know of several guns that transferred more than once on form 4's that ended up being "pre may" and denied. try that one on for size. I had just missed a "transferable" FND, by a few minutes at the SAR show. the dealer had an approved form 4 to him on display with the gun, it showed "NO RESTRICTIONS" the "LUCKY GUY" in front of me forked over $18,500.00 , new forms were filed, the dealer ceased operations.  2 months later the "LUCKY GUY" got his application back with a big red denied stamped across it and an explanation it was "pre may" restricted. last I heard he was not able to retrieve his funds and the only option was get it to a dealer that "would try" to get some of the money back.  3 of my recent buys had transferred as C+R eligible at least twice BEFORE I bought them and were found to be form 2 guns "not eligible" which effects the end value by a LOT.   so thing is, nothing is as it was in the past and its buyer beware through no fault of many dealers it just is what it is. mike

Haha! Thanks for putting it into perspective, Mr. Todd. My examiner is Ann Feltner and I had sent her a follow up email to check the status and to see if there were any issues that were dragging the process out. Of course, she informed me that the ATF has done their part and everything looks good, just waiting the dreadful FBI background check. I shrugged it off and sent her an email thanking her for personally reaching out and taking the time to write me back. Her response Included a photo from the 90’s of a dancing bean with the words, “your welcome”....I kid you not. Such a joke

THAT is awesome how the Trimp admin recognizes this issue amongst many more with our gubamint not having the capacity to give “the people” what they want. Imagine if we didn’t have enough money to pay our taxes. 

Citizen: “sorry Uncle Sam, I don’t have the funds right now and probably won’t for at least 14 more months”

Uncle Sam: Uhh...

Citizen:1    Uncle Sam:0

This is one of the few times when the old "background check delay" story can be true.  FBI researches checks as a courtesy to ATF but is under no obligation to do so.  Conversely, FBI is mandated by law and regulation to research and respond to checks initiated by dealers.  When a panic buy episode occurs (for example if a president were to suggest confiscation first, due process later or the largest gun lobby org in the country starts proposing bans via regulation that might spark a rush) the FBI cannot keep up with FFL generated checks and the NFA checks get put on the back burner.  Roughly 70-75% of NFA checks need no research and are automatically proceeded by a computer and thus not an issue to those applicants.

Note how that article about Trump being bad/stupid for wanting to add examiners to NFA fails to mention the # of examiners in NFA tripled during the BHO administration.  Probably an honest oversight...

after my last post here  that could be seen as a short hit at the staff at ATF, that was not my sole intent. I feel the need to share how one person can "go the extra mile" with ones duty.  I sold a MP-34 and the forms stated it was made by STYER / Germany. new forms with a C+R lic were filed and after app 16 months returned as "not C+R eligible". during a call I was told pictures and previous approvals would not be of any help, the actual weapon had to be sent for examination. the buyer wanted it to go as fast as possible so it was agreed to attempt a transfer to his dealer then proceed. without ANY SPECIAL REQUEST, the examiner responded and said she would hand carry the next 2 transfers through the system to help salvage the sale for me.  IT WORKED! both the trans to the dealer and the trans to the buyer were approved in less then 90 days. HOORAH for her, she gained absolutely nothing ,but my gratitude and personal satisfaction by her actions.   she may have risked possible retribution from her supervisors for stepping out of the normal line doing so. this clearly shows that any applied effort results in better service and there certainly is room for more

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2018 at 9:12 AM, CircularSquare88 said:

Thanks for posting this. So from mailbox to mailbox it only took 9 months? 

Yep, 9mo almost to the day.

I always call ATF to make sure the form 1/4 is in their possession , if l pay Tax by money order. I wait to call until around the going Transfer  times currently (6 to 12months) . 

My form4 transfer before this last one took 12months.

When I last spoke with ATF, as l always ask , " what is the average Transfer times" the reply was " 9months  or shorter and our goal is to get to 6months"... FWIW