old posting standards still apply?

Rex Tyson

There is no price requirement in the title now (though it must be in the body of the ad), and the WTS / WTT are optional.. If you are on a for sale board, then the WTS is somewhat implied (WTT or WTB would be a variance).  In general if you feel a price in the title will help you sell your item faster, then by all means place it in the title, but it is not a requirement (some folks will place multiple items in an ad, and pricing them all in the title isn't practical).

Having consistency in the post titles was one of the very BEST things about the old Sturm.

Buddy was so helpful in keeping clean boards that could be scanned really quickly.

The new Web 2.0 format is hard to scan and hard to search.

Posts take up more vertical space, you can't easily scroll through and see what's available.

The old format did allow rapid scanning, but the new format does have a few features that may help in that area.  For example, if one hovers the mouse over the ad link in the main page, a pop up window with the full ad text will appear.  I rather like that feature as most boards just put up a sentence or two.

aalbert,

Is there any way to make the popup feature more responsive both in appearing and disappearing? 

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with MG JB, the old format was much easier to scan. Also, now we have ads that go back to top whenever someone posts a reply. I now see the same ads on a daily basis. Get ready for alot of "BTT" and "Bump" replies in an attempt to keep an ad on the first page.  As long as I don't see boots, watches, and used Ipads for sale I can make it work.

3 hours ago, James B said:

...Get ready for alot of "BTT" and "Bump" replies in an attempt to keep an ad on the first page…

Yeah, I agree with the BTT BS! I've seen a couple of Dealers and Individuals that Blatantly BTT their ads every other day while most others wait seven to ten days or more! Need Buddy to Hammer-Down on the Offenders!

Edited by Precision Technology
Added: Need Buddy to Hammer-Down on the Offenders!

13 hours ago, Precision Technology said:

Yeah, I agree with the BTT BS! I've seen a couple of Dealers and Individuals that Blatantly BTT their ads every other day while most others wait seven to ten days or more! Need Buddy to Hammer-Down on the Offenders!

^^^ THIS ^^^

How about the rule against board hoggin'?  Right now on Parts & Accessories Classifieds there's one guy with 11 ads on page 1 alone. 

Buddy seems to be doing well, still posting ads.  However, if you will notice, he locks his ads so folks can't reply and keep bumping them to the top. Now that's an idea, put something up for sale and let guys buy it or not. Buddy is still King!

48 minutes ago, James B said:

How about the rule against board hoggin'?  Right now on Parts & Accessories Classifieds there's one guy with 11 ads on page 1 alone. 

Buddy seems to be doing well, still posting ads.  However, if you will notice, he locks his ads so folks can't reply and keep bumping them to the top. Now that's an idea, put something up for sale and let guys buy it or not. Buddy is still King!

So how does one "lock" their sales ad?

The ability to reply to ads is important for several reasons.

Answers common questions.
Allows a buyer to let others know that they have committed to buying an item (making it harder for a potential fraudulent seller to sell the same item times).
Allows bumping of an item that has been up already for 7-10 days
Shows items that have a high interest level (for whatever reason)