A few small questions on Sturmgewehr

alvin

I bought a copy of Peter Senich's book on this type of gun. It arrived. I read through it quickly. It's a good book, better than I expected. But, there are a few question on the gun unanswered.

Page 89. "Although production codes, acceptance stamps, and the weapon serial number were normally applied, bolts without manufacturer's markings (code) has been noted". On Page 90, pictures showing bolt with number "504". It's not a stamp, it's electro-pencil handwriting.
Q1: Is the bolt normally numbered this way, electro-pencil handwritting?

Page 98. "...buttstock.... The weapon serial number and acceptance markings were often stamped on the metal attachment as well as the wood"
Q2: So, the stock is normally numbered to the gun. Where is supposed to find that number on the wood on metal?
Q3: Besides receiver, bolt and stock, are there other numbered parts on this type?

Page 95. Rear sight leaf. On the B&W picture, it's hard to tell the sight leaf being blued, or it's white with patina..
Q4: Is the sight leaf surface supposed to be blued, or in white?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

while I have retained little positive info on any of this series, I do have a lot of experience with it. in the early 80's J CURTISS had 50+ dewatts that included all but the earliest variations, with them laying side x side or in the pile, one noticed a MAJOR difference even same year same mfgr? The great unknown is what they endured AFTER the war. the Czechs used them a ton, SYRIA had quite a few you name it. several of the dewatts we had came from South America and one thing I took note of at the time was the lack of or amount of markings on the gun and parts. just not typical for anything they did except in the FINAL months of the war. many parts had NOTHING at all on them and other guns had every major part #rd and waff'd   over all I would suspect most electro pencil. walther used them after 43 I know for sure though. several of my K-G 43's have electro pencil. some examples had #'s on the butt and metal some only the metal as I recall . they were in several locations on the wood, seemed random. the metal when stamped was on the left side in most case's. my ordeal was to determine what was original to the piece at first, then gave up because of the welded barrel it just didn't matter. head space etc was all redone. I had 2 runs of barrels made, 60 or so total for the project and still have 3or 4 laying around some place. we became discouraged very quickly , few would run more than 3 rnds or so, then I dug out some mint original guns and the same was true. found out it was ALL a magazine issue. with NO VISABLE DIFF they just would not work . had to try them and marry them.(used electro pencil) I have one 44 dated gun all original vet bring back,  bolt and carrier, NOTHING. butt and metal matching and stamped with waff also, rec 3 waffs 2 left one right, lower # and waff left, brl  waff only. nothing on gas parts at all any where. never took the lower apart, don't know about the internals , I have 19 original mags 8 work well 3 don't and I have not tried the others  hope I helped a bit ? mike