Value of Furr Arms Gatling Gun

I was recently contacted by the daughter of a good friend of mine, now deceased, about selling one of her Dad's guns.  We were old shooting/reloading buddies and after he died the mother and two daughters moved far away from here, but I had thought all his guns were already disposed of.  She has a Furr Arms 1/3 scale replica of a Colt Gatling Gun brass and steel in .22 short.  The gun appears to be complete on the two wagon wheel carriage, and from the pictures she sent it is in excellent condition and a beautiful piece of work.  I've tried to find some for sale but not much recent comes up, I"ve seen for sale prices ranging from $4000 up to about $12000.  Anybody have an idea of its true worth? 

IMG_7673.JPG

THIS IS A TOUGH ONE!  while unloading at SAR west in 2004 on wed I watched one sell out of a suburban for $10900. b-4 it got out of the truck. I never had much , but a departed friend was a fanatic FURR guy and had a few models. he was heart broken when I told him on Friday. this is only the second I have seen of this model. and I thought they only sold the plans for this one? so it could be "shop built" the "camel gun" is most common and they seem to be $10k or so.  mike

• 1 month later...

Yep, it's exactly like the one I got. After discussions with the heirs I ended up buying it myself, and I'm having a couple of minor items repaired to original specs before firing it. I called Mr. Furr and had a nice discussion with him about the guns he built, fascinating stuff.  He's retired now but he is sons each operate a machine shop in Orem, no gun mfg. anymore though.   His country of the total number they made was 125. 

• 1 year later...

Update to this thread:  I got the gun back from Mr. Keith Furr, who very graciously repaired it and also polished it to a fair-thee-well. It is beautiful and now I have to polish the carriage parts to match.  I shot it a couple of weeks ago and the only problem I had was the rounds would stick in the magazine and I ended up feeding them by putting downward pressure on each stack. Once down to the breach they fed fine and it's a hoot to shoot. Keith gave me a couple of suggestions for helping the feed problem and I'll try them next time. I've made wooden storage boxes for the barreled receiver and magazine to protect them during transportation,  tried to use hardware that sort of matched the period.  I'm no woodworker nut they turned out decent.  I'll probably go enjoy this a while and then shop it around, it should be cared for and used by someone that appreciates it and I won't be around forever. I'll try to post some pics when I get to my computer.

• 1 year later...

BILL you don't show the feed for this, but from the looks it takes the rotary drum with several vertical stacks parallel with the bore. IE; model 1874  one of these JUST SOLD AT MORPHY's and the TOTAL with premium was $8400.00 spare drums are at least $400 in value so add if more than one. cheers MIKE TODD

YEP ALL OVER THE PLACE all variations of the repo gatlings.  I suffered a major hit on a TOP QUALITY full sized 45/70 example of your gun at the last auction for some reason. with 4 spare drums. in 2018 they bid well over $40k. in 2019 nothing made $20k. it always takes 2 serious players to move and one guy can score well if alone. I bought VAL FORGETS ORIGINAL  and the repo just had no place anymore.

For what it is worth, I bought the Morphy gun (my third gatling).  It needs some cleaning up internally and externally (2ish days work) but otherwise in good condition.  I thought $8400 was a pretty good price but not a steal and I have been following these for a while.  As someone said earlier, depends on what buyers show up.  I would think that for $13k it needs to be in pristine mint condition and you have to wait for the right guy

• 1 month later...
On 8/20/2017 at 1:00 PM, mike todd said:

THIS IS A TOUGH ONE!  while unloading at SAR west in 2004 on wed I watched one sell out of a suburban for $10900. b-4 it got out of the truck. I never had much , but a departed friend was a fanatic FURR guy and had a few models. he was heart broken when I told him on Friday. this is only the second I have seen of this model. and I thought they only sold the plans for this one? so it could be "shop built" the "camel gun" is most common and they seem to be $10k or so.  mike

I looked further,  one sold in April for $13,200, functional as is mine. Mine us also complete with all matching numbers and one extra bolt.  Reading over these posts, I remembered that Mr. Furr estimated he made 125 of the 1/3 scale guns in total.  He quit because the ATF was in his shop repeatedly inspecting, he just grew tired of it. 

• 2 months later...