Is there a change in USPS policy on shipping NFA?

waterdawg2000

I tried to ship a subgun today by registered and insured mail.  The clerk had all kinds of questions then referred me to her supervisor who the had to call his supervisor then the postal inspection.   The supervisor at my post office(the only one in town) says that about 3 months ago the regulations changed and that  I can only ship dealer to dealer. I told him I was shipping in for repair.  He told me to call the ATF?  Please advise.

Not NFA .........however ...... I have sent a few Long guns  thru my PO ....... I say my PO ....... although it is Not the closest PO to me.

one day ...... years ago ...... while standing in line to mail a few small Priority boxes ....... I see this guy in line holding a ..... very long ...... very narrow box ....... obviously a firearm ....... I watch ...... he produces an FFL ..... hands it to the clerk..... 

pays for the postage ........ leaves ........ I go to the same clerk ......and ask ........ " can I mail firearms thru the Postal System ?"

she replies ....... " Sure ...... just need a FFL and send it Registered mail "

she also said that there are several local gun shops nearby that send firearms weekly .......

over the next few months I mail several rifles ...... same PO ...... same clerk ...... No Problems ....

with that said .....  One day I mailed a rifle from the same PO ...... the clerk I usually use was off that day...... and another clerk was unsure about sending firearms thru the mails ....... so she pulls out the HUGE Postal Regulations book.

after a few turned pages ......... she reads ........ then looks at me and asks ...... " Are you mailing a handgun ? "

My rifle box is 48 inches long and 6x6 ......... I reply ....... " Um ....... it's a rifle " ......after about 10 minutes ...... it's mailed.

another visit ...... same PO ..... another clerk was unsure about mailing " guns " ........ so I schooled him on how to mail firearms.......

apparently ........ the Post Office does not train clerks on the Correct procedure on ..... How to mail Firearms.

I am guessing ........ any Post Office with Gunshops Nearby ........ has a clerk or two that knows the postal regulations about mailing firearms.

call a few gunshops nearby and ask if they mail firearms ....... how it's done ....... and which PO they used.

Hi Jim!  I just sent an MG to Bob Naess via USPS Priority Mail and had no issues.  Now, I sent as a dealer to another dealer and with a PS 1508 form, but I had no issues.  They didn't ask any questions or scrutinize anything, they just took my paperwork and off it went, so I don't even think they knew it was C3.  If I recall, you have a C&R FFL.  Were you using that?  I would think that would cover you, at least if it was a C&R sub.

In general, Buddy is right.  Without a license, you can ship long guns as long as it is going to a dealer, but they will not ship handguns in the mail unless it is dealer to dealer.(18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A); 27 CFR 478.31)

NFA can get a little tricky.  SBS and SBRs CANNOT ship via USPS by individuals because the PS considers them to be pistols.  The problem with sub guns, since many have barrels that are less than 16'' or have an overall length less than 26'' is that the PS can and will sometimes classify those as pistols as well.  In other words, the PS has their own definitions for firearms that differ from what we encounter elsewhere.  I have not heard about any rule changes, and it sounds like the ATF's advice was unhelpful.  Sometimes, you just have to politely educate the postal folks.  Their default when they don't know is to say no, it seems.  Don't take no for an answer.  Other than that, USPS has long been a preferred way to ship NFA.  FedEx will ship NFA.  UPS will NOT ship.

I guess the other thing you COULD do, although it is unnecessary, is get an ATF Form 5 submitted, signed and returned for your repair. That might help if this is consistently a problem. Kind of hard for them to shoot you down if the ATF has signed off on the move for repair purposes.

-David   

every USPS office I ever tried ( AZ ) required a current ffl on file and a picture ID for any follow ups? just before I moved to texas ALL the UPS stores I tried in GILBERT,AZ refused all ammo and firearms claiming ONLY the distribution center was approved. things went ok there as long as the resident DYKE was out to lunch or otherwise occupied. ANOTHER GOOD REASON TO FLEE HOME TO TEXAS

• Like 1

there is a way to ship a subgun through USPS....dont tell them whats in the box......ATF says your supposed to.....so i know its wrong....in the end who is going to know?

Registered mail is the safest transport ive been told over and over....

Edited by huggytree

Well if the package gets ripped off, busted open by gorilla goon handlers, somebody gonna hafta do some 'splanin'...

bottom line, something happens and you have not insured it, yer screwed.

Use Fedex, ship overnight, insure it to it's full value. No worries. They DO ship MGs. Don't try to get cute. Tell'em what it is and they WILL help you. Oh...and make sure it's a real Fedex Outlet...no damn mom&pop UPS/Fedex store. Those guys blow.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

>>>>>>>>>>  I just sent an MG to Bob Naess via USPS Priority Mail and had no issues. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Just curious; if USPS happened to lose the package would they pay an insurance claim?

Would ATF take away your license if you told them you lost a M.G. sending it Priority Mail?

I guess I am odd for being so risk adverse, but I can't believe someone would send a M.G, Priority Mail. I don't even send cheap gun parts by USPS. 

• 7 months later...

Fact as provided by my NFA Examiner is that the only way you are "covered" with USPS is to send Registered Mail.

Anything less is on you. Just my research and experience, but good luck getting anywhere with USPS if you don't use Registered Mail.

I think there is a legit reason why most NFA Dealers (including self) use Registered Mail with USPS. Fed Ex Next Day is my preference, but  if USPS--- REGISTERED MAIL is only option!