Registered M16 auto sear

Kophjager

This sear is currently installed in a AR 15.  I have reached out to the ATF and asked if it can be removed and installed in another receiver.  

According to the Agent I have emailed and correspondent with  it can be removed and installed in another lower. Similar to FN rifles. 

Just wondered if anyone else has done or run across

Some years ago, Ruben Mendiola had for sale an AR15 that had a conversion device somehow installed in the forward assist. It was also 'married' to the weapon, and the upper was not able to be replaced.

I always wanted to know more about that rifle, but never got around to asking about it. Maybe this is something similar? It could even be the same gun, for what it's worth.

If the person at the NFA Branch is stating that the sear can be moved to another host, you are good to go. if you can get that info from them in an email, even better.

That would be pretty cool, just like an HK registered sear or RDIAS, it is the registered machinegun and can be moved to most any host!

Re-post if this all works out, or you find that the sear cannot be separated.  

You would need a letter from them to allow you to move it.
Also if the receiver is milled out and the sear hole is drilled the unit is forever married to the lower. If you took the sear out and even destroyed the old lower to install it in a new host would constitute manufacturing a new machine guy by the ATF. Same goes for registered lowers with lightning links or DIAS that are married to the unit you are stuck with that configuration forever.

Bunch of examples like this are that way
HTA RR HK Guns
AK Drop in auto sears
Registered AR auto sears
Married LL/DIAS

Not much you can do with them except leave them in the gun which is why they demand the lowest premium out of any of the transferable machine guns in their respective categories.

On 7/11/2017 at 2:07 AM, RudeDog said:

Wouldn't installing it in another lower receiver require a sear pin hole, which in of itself creating a new MG?

Correct - you would have 1) a registered unregulated item combined with 2) an unregistered regulated item (assuming the scenario is as it seems in this post).

• Like 1

On July 9, 2017 at 0:18 PM, Kophjager said:

This sear is currently installed in a AR 15.  I have reached out to the ATF and asked if it can be removed and installed in another receiver.  

According to the Agent I have emailed and correspondent with  it can be removed and installed in another lower. Similar to FN rifles. 

Just wondered if anyone else has done or run across

If it's a normal sear that uses a pin to hold it in place I'm guessing the ATF agent doesn't fully understand what you are asking. The act of drilling an ar15 lower for the sear pin hole is in of itself creating an MG. so unless it's some other type of "sear" conversion I'd stick with the agent not understand what you asked. There was some AK sears that had to stay in the gun once they were installed, same idea.