WTK: The "Merle" Thompson 22lr conversion kit.

J50shootr

Well, I missed out on a Thompson SMG 22lr conversion kit that was for sale on Gunbroker. It was a kit made for 28's and M1's. The auction said it was manufactured by a gentleman named Merle Bitikofer aka The Drum Doctor. I haven't been able to find out much about if these kits are available. Much of my search turns up older board threads about them. The consensus is that they are much better than the Ciener kits. Does anyone know if these are still being manufactured. I would like to purchase one. Thanks for your time in advance. James.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, ya snooze, ya lose. 

Great kit. I bought one from Merle years ago...fabulous. Nice, slow rof, and most bulk ammo works great. I've used Fed 550 copper and CCI unplanted Blazer. Both ran great. Even the Piney Mountain 22 tracer worked great and some of that had problems in a 10-22. Also sprang for a dozen Black Dog mags and one of their drums. Everything just works great. A word of caution. The kit puts up with a lot, but should be cleaned up a bit at about the 500 round mark. It likes to run but 22s are inherently dirty, give it a bit of help if you find one. I've got a can hanging off the end of mine and that doesn't help the cleanliness. 500 rounds really is about the limit, especially with a can.

Why not contact Merle directly?

• Like 1

No can here for my WH '28, but I can get between 1200 and 1500 rounds through my kit before it needs cleaning.  I runs nice and sloooooow using old time Wally Works bulk Federal stuff.  I got it years ago and was fit to my WH '28 by PK.  He even fit a Numrich magazine adapter and I run only 30 round metal Squire Bingham banana mags.  This is a great kit and very reliable.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi J50shootr,

Yes.  Best to call Merle.  While he has computers he feels much more at home with the phone.  Buy his kit.  Aside from the somewhat enormous weight of a Thompson in 22RF, I've found it one of the best platforms for the conversion.  While not recommended, last year I put 3500 rounds down range between cleanings.  Ran out of ammo or there would have been more shooting.  The kit is not that ammo sensitive but guns may vary.

Enjoy,

Grasshopper

Edited by Grasshopper
  • Like 1