WTK pistol grip 12 ga. "weapon"

Terry R.

This may seem stupid, but......I have a pistol grip only, never had a stock Remington 870 12ga. w/ 18" barrel.  Bought new from CDNN several years ago when I had FFL/SOT.  May I now as an individual install a less than 18" bbl without paperwork?  Am thinking yes but don't want to make a mistake.     Thanks,  TR

whoa there!!  16"barrel shotgun? non nfa?  NO WAY!  no matter how it came! if it was a "LEGAL SHOT PISTOL" it would be "any other weapon" at least and still require a $5.00 transfer. look guy's its pretty easy THERE IS NO WAY TO GET AROUND THE LAW !  in 1995 I ordered a SAR 48 FAL from J+G sales in Prescott,az. filled out my 4473 and when I got it home , found it was a select fire weapon and ready to go FULL AUTO. someone had made a mistake logging it into inventory and it was sold to me retail. they were due for a major problem down the road when it came up.  I was still in violation for possessing an unregistered MACHINEGUN! the shop was more than 100 miles away and I sweated every mile getting it back.

I "assumed" that since there never was a buttstock installed, it might fall into the same category as the Mossberg Shockwave, Remington 870 TAC-14, Asylum Gatekeeper, etc..   Not that it makes much practical difference. 

Guess it would be best to just call ATFE tech. branch .

• 2 weeks later...

"not a shotgun"?  I thought the gca 68 defined anything with a smooth bore a shotgun? in the early eighties I was ordered to destroy a mint new service colt  .44 cal smooth bore because it was not registered when I got it. not even the option of removing the barrel .  there are several examples out there reg. as AOW. why are all the marbles and H+R shotgun pistols in the registry? yep I read the letter and it state's "not a shotgun" but somehow the term smoothbore is NOT in the letter?  SCAREY! not on my wall with out an exemption statement describing ALL elements of the piece concerned. PLEASE BE CAREFULL when attempting to apply the law.

The law has clearly morphed, I think the reason for that is we have agencies changing regulations without clear legislatures voting on the changes, 41P for example.  I first noted this after the shopping center shooting in SLC, trolley square.  An 18 year old bought a pistol grip shotgun with a 30 inch barrel.  The pawn dealer was charged and convicted of selling a handgun to an underage buyer.

Regarding the weapon of 26 inches of length being discussed, these have been around in the periphery for a couple of years, see shockwave technologies website.  http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?page_id=88

I think one needs to be very careful about building one bought second hand or bought years in the past because one does not know how it was transfered from the dealer previously, if it was transfered as a shotgun, would guess that the accused would have the burden of proof that it was never in "shotgun" configuration, which the fed define as a gun with at least an 18 inch barrel and a buttstock.  

Personally, I am going to wait to buy the non NFA version until they are a little more mainstream...I form one registered my mossberg because I figured $200 is cheaper than getting an attorney and going through the BS if I were ever arrested with one of these "PGO's" and I needed to prove that I was within the law.

Edited by hdiel