WTK: Repro Japanese Type 92 HMG Wrench?

Harry Baldwin

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a pair of the stainless steel gas screws from John Keene and I thought thats who made my reproduction barrel wrench. Dont quote me on the wrench though. I got it from gunbroker. John had the gas screws made and they look really nice hope this helps. Glenn O.

• 2 weeks later...

we made 25 of the wrenches that were exact duplicates. IE BLAKE MACHINE PHX AZ they sold on GB VERY FAST should have done twice that many. I have been looking for an original portive brl wrench for the next project. any help?  cheers mike

22 hours ago, mike todd said:

we made 25 of the wrenches that were exact duplicates. IE BLAKE MACHINE PHX AZ they sold on GB VERY FAST should have done twice that many. I have been looking for an original portive brl wrench for the next project. any help?  cheers mike

Mike,

I think you're the one whose ad I remember from GB. Do you have any plans to do another run of these?

HARRY, we made those at a shop located in phoenix that I haunted more than 40 yrs with hotrod and gun projects.  it was always busy but new things were exiting and a challenge. my health forced me to move to texas, but I'm still in contact with them often. we bought a bunch of the barrel machinery out of springfield armory years ago and the focus lately has been getting that running for custom barrels. I will see if any of the old drawings can still be programed in for a run. several have asked and I dropped the ball. stay in touch! cheers mike   JOHN KEENE has also asked for more so I guess its time

Edited by mike todd
left this out

21 hours ago, mike todd said:

HARRY, we made those at a shop located in phoenix that I haunted more than 40 yrs with hotrod and gun projects.  it was always busy but new things were exiting and a challenge. my health forced me to move to texas, but I'm still in contact with them often. we bought a bunch of the barrel machinery out of springfield armory years ago and the focus lately has been getting that running for custom barrels. I will see if any of the old drawings can still be programed in for a run. several have asked and I dropped the ball. stay in touch! cheers mike   JOHN KEENE has also asked for more so I guess its time

Excellent, thank you!

1 hour ago, bushwacker51 said:

General Todd,

Is there any chance you guys would make a barrel for the Japanese type 92 hmg. I know it would cost alot but I would be interested. Thanks Glenn O

Glenn, I am looking for a barrel too. They are out there. Just takes time and persistence. I imagine that duplicating one would be horrifically expensive!

• 2 weeks later...

Glen / HARRY, man you said it the cost would be a killer.  I don't recall the exact profile of a brl , we don't have a gun in the collection. the best solution would be to gundrill an old barrel and press in a new core. we did several 308 bren brls with 60 stellite cores in the 70's and they are still going. the only other option would be to remove sections from a damaged worn brl and press them on a new blank. to my knowledge no one makes a blank that fat but we could if need be. L have contacted the shop, and there is machine time available on the drill and rifling equipment, but its limited. available calibers are varied. they are running 6mm and 6.5 mmm at this time.   about the wrench's /tools I contacted JOHN KEENE in MAINE and he stated he has an original for sale and another gent has some replica's available . because all ours sold so fast I'm thinking they may not be true to spec but you can check.

• 2 weeks later...

gun drill equip is second to none in the nation!! can drill a .020 hole at 12ft+ !! those machines are NEVER idle! all most all the major manf. and aerospace folks sub contract work at the shop. including NASA. the barrel machines came out of the springfield armory and are pic'd with JOHN GARAND in many publications. they sat for years and we finally managed to do an addition for them, and get them running. the original plan was for me to run that part of the shop when my illness struck. since then only toy projects were done until recently. they are now taking orders and processing a few. the guys are VERY FLEXABLE and customer friendly. they also have created quite a few unique high performance cyl heads and manifolds for the racing industry.