A take on the ATFs leaked white page memo.

Craigan

Hey all you good folks.

I'm sure you're all aware of the ATF white paper by now, and if not, you will be before long. It honestly was a breath of fresh air, but as I drove home today I began to think about two of the points mentioned within.

So I don't remember it verbatim, and naturally a white paper conveys no legal status. But for discussion sake, let's assume it passes everything as mentioned. 

There was a point about creating an FFL purely for online transfers and/or gun shows. In other words, a legally recognized kitchen ffl. Ok, that's neato.

Then there was mention that requiring SOTs to have a law letter to deal with post 86s is more of a hassle than anything, and potentially a hindrance for sales. There is talk of removing the requirement of the law letter required to get post 86ers.

So here's my point - imagine getting rid of the law letter. All of you FFL critters who don't have an SOT know you're going to get one. And then there's the new kitchen table FFL - do you think there's provision to prohibit them from getting their SOT?

Effectively this could open up so many opportunities for people to have the guns they would otherwise never be able to afford. Take a nice m60 - I've seen them sell at 50,000 lately. 

One could maintain licensure fees for 40 years on a sot and still pay half that, and get a new m60e6 for LE market value. The seller in Bryan TX sold a post 86 ak47 last week for cheaper than semis go for these days.

The future could be fun. Any thoughts?

Edit before someone chimes in with this: and clearly most of us know you can't obtain your FFL (01, 02) purely for the sake of your personal collection. Everyone know that. Im suggesting that it wouldn't be too hard to conduct the business portion with the restrictions eased AND get to deal with posties.

Edited by Craigan
Forethought of NFA abuse
  • Like 1

I had similar thoughts about the ramifications if this white paper idea were to become fact.  Then it occurred to me that I would not be the only person who got their FFL/SOT with the idea that one fringe benefit would be that I could obtain, fondle and become intimate with cheap posties.  If thousands of people had the same idea and law letters weren't required, the posties would not be so cheap.

I am not a member but the NFA organization that works close with ATF has a booth at the SAR shows in phoenix and I found myself hanging around after making the rounds many times. one cant help but hear many of the discussions and no attempt is made to hide them.  there was a LENGTHY talk about dealers having "post samples" as additions to collections with no intent or opportunity to attempt to sell them. and the resulting legal problems. IE; tax evasion, conspiracy etc.  the fact that a lot of samples only make it to the large organized shoots, all the rental use etc  SCAREY!!  do you really want to go there?  can you say post sample maxim? post sample zb37? yes I know , legal but the intent?  I believe if the fiasco with the border guard death and FFL dealers had not happened, something in that direction would have moved forward with more than talk . the MAIN reason I never made the dealer/ manufacturer step was being able to search out possible sales along with my other business obligations because I would have everything that could be built with no reasonable explanation as to why. I lost a LOT of money trying to support others that could have put forth the effort but only ended up playing like most.  just my 2 cents.  mike

I think it is an interesting read. The issue I see with no law letter post samples is that if you broaden the market to "kitchen table" SOT's , you will increase demand, and unless the supply is increased as well, then prices will escalate. M-60s may not be 50 or 60 k, but they sure won't be 20k. Basic econ 101. It would be nice to remove the restriction on post 86 transferable mfg. It would cause substantial  losses in value of MG's, but in the end, would make the hobby more affordable for folks that don't have 20k laying around to spend on a gun. But I don't hold out any hope of that.

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 7:09 PM, GUNBUGS said:

I think it is an interesting read. The issue I see with no law letter post samples is that if you broaden the market to "kitchen table" SOT's , you will increase demand, and unless the supply is increased as well, then prices will escalate. M-60s may not be 50 or 60 k, but they sure won't be 20k. Basic econ 101. It would be nice to remove the restriction on post 86 transferable mfg. It would cause substantial  losses in value of MG's, but in the end, would make the hobby more affordable for folks that don't have 20k laying around to spend on a gun. But I don't hold out any hope of that.

it would make common guns drop like M-16s and AK-47s, however WW2 bring back and nam bring backs will still command a premium.