1919A4 semi-auto bolt - slight damage, what can I do?

markbritt

I recently picked up a Rapid Fire (Troy, Ohio) 1919A4 semi-auto.  While it is functioning correctly, I noticed that the bold has damage on the right rear rail.  Thinking this would be a easy fix, I picked up a 1919A4 stripped bolt from gunbroker, only to find that 1) it does not fit into the receiver as the right side of the semi-auto has some metal removed that allows it to be slid fully into the receiver, and 2), the sear will not fit as, again, more machining was done on this.

Question - if I remove the metal from the right side of the new bolt so it will slide in fully AND pickup a sear that fits, will this combination work in semi-auto mode?  If not, is there a source where I can either purchase a semi bolt for my 1919 or send this one in to be correctly machined

Thanks,

Mark

To an answer your question, whatever you do, don't remove metal from the right side of your FA bolt so it will fit while it still has the capability of using the FA sear.  Aside from the fact it wouldn't work in that configuration for semi, it would also be considered a post sample MG.  If you have the ability to modify the bolt for semi purposes, modify the sear cutout first so it will only accommodate the semi sear then go ahead and slot the bolt to fit your receiver.  If not, I believe Ohio Ordnance sells a semi 1919a4 bolt and others may too.  FYI, denial islands on the right side plate seem to vary a little in design and depth between manufactures of semi 1919s, once you find a semi bolt you may or may not have to do a little fitting for it to work in your particular gun but you'll be a lot closer than starting with a FA bolt.

What exactly do you mean the bolt has damage on the right rear rail? Is it cracked or chipped?

• Like 1

You call or email this guy.  He's not that far away and can redo your new bolt and possibly fix your existing one.  His prices are extremely reasonable and his turn around is fast.  Most everyone (even many builders) use his services because he is already setup with the proper cutters and fixtures to do the work on 1919 and m2 bolts.   We have a full shop here and won't do it because he does it faster and better.

Brian Penley
2918 E. SR 38
Westfield, IN 46074
317-847-3293
Brianlpenley@gmail.com
Blpenley@aol.com

I'm also curious about the damage you stated, is it possible one of the bottoms broke off the bolt?  hate to tell you but ohio rapid fire 1919's could be ANYTHING.  they dumped close to 100 out of square and spec semi receiver  only with jacket attached at the SAR show around  2006. also sold a bunch of side plates.  the denial islands were placed in different locations and I have seen some builds that required more than .075 be removed from the whole bolt. that can cause the bottom to break off from excessive bolt movement.   I have also seen bolts that were ground rather than machined for the islands this will make the bolt brittle and can result in breakage.  troy  at "THE BARREL EXCHANGE" , is very reasonable for this work , and had the machine's set up to go to work, last I spoke to him . but demand may have slowed and that changed. I have several complete bolts on hand and ready to go , but not sure if any are .30cal  price would be $200 for .30 cal  minus the extractor. you owe a  SPECIAL THANKS TO "CENTRIFUGAL ARMS"  for explaining the legal process for working on the bolt  cheers mike